Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A present. Driving directions to the Howard Beach Air Train station

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
A present. Driving directions to the Howard Beach Air Train station

edit 12/2007.

Since it's a well known fact that you can park for free in Howard Beach, here are directions from the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge to the station.

Head south on the Van Wyck. Follow signs for the Belt Parkway West-Verrazanno Bridge.

It's 2 miles to Exit 17S - Cross Bay Blvd. South. At the exit, get into the left lane as you will be turning left at the 3rd light (157th Ave). There's a Chase Bank/CVS Drugstore on the corner. If you have time, stop for a slice of NY pizza on the corner (on the left).

Go a few blocks to 98th and make a right. Then, another few blocks and go left on 159th Ave.

You will deadend at the Air Train.

Park anywhere. Don't block local driveways. Don't park at the bus stop.

There is an elevator to take you upstairs. You will have to buy a Metrocard to get on the Airtrain. Credit cards are ok. Buy a $10 card. That will get you $12 worth of fare. The airtrain cost $5 each way or $10 R/T. Send me the $2 balance.

Return

Go back the same way you entered. At the pizza place on Cross Bay Blvd, make a right. The highway entrance is a block away. Belt Parkway east . Then follow signs for the Van Wyck/JFK. Soon, you'll see signs for the Van Wyck/Whitestone Bridge . If there's no traffic, it's 15-20 minutes to the bridge. You can expect traffic 24/7 due to repair work. Do not exit the highway. The traffic moves slowly , but it moves.

Last edited by dhammer53; Dec 8, 2007 at 1:37 pm
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you're coming from eastern Long Island, take the belt exit 17S and follow directions as described above.

Coming from Staten Island/New Jersey... I'm not sure of the exit # from that direction. Exit the highway at Cross Bay Blvd South and follow the directions above. It's about 18 minutes from the Verrazano bridge.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Car vandalized at Howard Beach

dhammer53, Thanks for posting the parking directions.

I do want to throw out a word of caution to everybody though. I used this tip to park for free for 5 days during a recent trip to HKG. I was a bit nervous leaving my car parked on the street, but dhammer53 reassured me he's never had a problem. Dhammer53, however, must have better luck than me...

I did a quick walkaround upon returning to my car, just to make sure it wasn't scratched (keyed) or did not sustain a flat tire. It looked fine, and I was on my way quickly. I turned on the radio, but no stations came in. Strange, I thought, until I realized that my antenna was taken! A bit further on, I decided to clean the rear window of my Explorer, and noticed that the rear wiper was taken as well! Must have been that out of state (MA) plate that pissed off the locals.

I still appreciate dhammer53's directions and help. ^ But will I park there again? Probably not.

PS - I was parked on 101st street, about 2 blocks from the AirTrain station...
Old Mar 14, 2005, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Sorry to hear the bad news. I just returned home tonight from another trip. Parked in Howard Beach without a problem.

You may be right about the 'locals' getting even; but knowing that this is Queens, I'd probably say it was some kids.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:10 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I think I need those James Bond rotating license plates for the next time I park there, that's all... PS - the directions were flawless, thanks for trying!
Bostonbali.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hope you at least stopped for pizza.

Dan
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dhammer53
You may be right about the 'locals' getting even; but knowing that this is Queens, I'd probably say it was some kids.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree that it wasn't any kind of "revenge" for you parking there from out-of-state. Lots of New Yorkers have their cars registered in other states to save on insurance; this is illegal (since you're supposed to have insurance where you use your car the most) but never enforced.
Old May 31, 2005, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bumped for a response to a question.
Old Jun 10, 2005, 10:52 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree that it wasn't any kind of "revenge" for you parking there from out-of-state. Lots of New Yorkers have their cars registered in other states to save on insurance; this is illegal (since you're supposed to have insurance where you use your car the most) but never enforced.
LOL. Now I know when I drive up from PHL (to visit friends and family) and see A LOT of Florida plates in the NYC area (mine included ). Plus, no need to submit to the useless emissions and safety inspections, as I see a lot of cars (w/ NY/NJ plates) driving around that look like they belong in a junk yard.

Thanks for the tip. Next time I have to take a trip from JFK, I'll consider parking my car there.
Old Jun 13, 2005, 3:43 pm
Suspended

"...It's 2 miles to Exit 17S - Cross Bay Blvd. South. At the exit, get into the left lane as you will be turning left at the 3rd light. If you have time, stop for a slice of NY pizza on the corner (on the left). "

Or...
Try Lenny's Italian restaurant, about halfway down on the left... I found the place during my AANYC runs, and it's awesome. Spectacular. A real Mafia Don hangout!

Especially now that you have food for purchase on many flights.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:48 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
I have just found this post; thanks a lot for this very useful tip!

Are there any other free (and safe) parking places in NYC, not necessarily close to JFK, but near a subway station that anyone can recommend?

Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Most neighborhoods in the city have alternate side of the street parking restrictions. This means that you'll have to move your car either once, or twice a week, depending on the neighborhood.
I'll never figure out why the Howard Beach area has managed to avoid this; although, I have my suspicions.

If you're going away for a long weekend, you could park in certain neighborhoods in Manhattan; and avoid the problem of moving your car.

I don't know of any neighborhood, other than Howard Beach, where you can park forever; and, never have to move your car.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:39 pm

Flying to LGW this weekend from JFK - I'll try parking here once again, this time with NJ plates. I'll make sure to park on a different street than last time, I don't expect any issues this time around. I'll report back after the weekend.
BB
Old May 8, 2007, 9:33 pm

any recent update?
Old May 9, 2007, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by ansatzjp
any recent update?
Yup, parked there twice in February, no issues at all. I was driving another out-of-state car (NJ), nobody messed with my windshield wipers this time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.