Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Long Island Islip Airport to Manhattan

Old Aug 15, 2004, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying into Long Island Islip airport and need to get from there to 20th Street between 8th and 9th Ave. I'd like to take public transportation, and I think this means I'll need to take the train. Is this right?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yup. Take the shuttle from the airport to the Ronkonkama LIRR station.

There is shuttle service from MacArthur Airport to the nearby Ronkonkoma train station:
Colonial Transportation of Long Island offers convenient shuttle service between MacArthur Airport and the Ronkonkoma train station (LIRR). The shuttle van departs the train station daily at 5:30am, then departs the airport on the hour and half-hour from 6:00am until 10:30pm. Curbside pick up at the airport is directly in front of baggage claim. The shuttle will pick up and drop off at the North Platform of the Ronkonkoma train station. The one-way fare is $5.00 per person. Cash and credit cards are accepted. All rates are subject to change without notice.The Suffolk County Bus Transit also offers hourly service to and from MacArthur Airport to the train station with the S-57 Bus except Sundays and(No service, New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day or Christmas). The fare is $1.50.The Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) offers frequent service to Penn Station in Manhattan from the Ronkonkoma train station The train ride is approximately one hour and 25 minutes.The train fare currently $6.50 (non-rush hour times) into the city will take you to Penn station which is located in Manhattan at 33rd street and 7th Avenue.
http://www.islipairport.com/pages/transportation.shtml

From there you can walk, take a taxi, or take the 7th Ave bus to 23rd Street and hop on the M23 bus to 8th Ave and walk the rest. You will need a metrocard of $2.00 for the bus or exact change of $2. If you use change, ask for a transfer from the 7th Ave bus driver so you can get on the M23.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by desertdweller
I'm flying into Long Island Islip airport and need to get from there to 20th Street between 8th and 9th Ave. I'd like to take public transportation, and I think this means I'll need to take the train. Is this right?
Take a good book with you for the ride.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:16 pm
Original Member

I am planning a trip to NYC and I must take Southwest (free ticket)

I am planning to take the Hampton Jitney from Islip to Manhattan. Has anyone had experience doing this? I took the Connecticut Limo once and I assume it is similar.

On the way from Manhattan to Islip, I am debating between a cab (if I choose the early morning flight) or Hampton Jitney if I take an afternoon flight.

The concierge at the Hilton New York expressed doubt that a taxi would go to Islip. Does anyone know if that is true and does anyone remember the cost if they have taken this trip.

Thanks for any help.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 5:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Actually...he's right...it's a FAR drive for a taxi and I'm sure they won't do it. It'll cost you an arm and a leg...or two!

Going from ISP to Manhattan...is really an adventure...

Shuttle or taxi to the Long Island Railroad Station in Ronkonkoma (make sure you take the right line) to transfer to the subway you need to take. It is an hour-two ride.

Good luck!!!
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Andy2

I am planning to take the Hampton Jitney from Islip to Manhattan. Has anyone had experience doing this? I took the Connecticut Limo once and I assume it is similar.

On the way from Manhattan to Islip, I am debating between a cab (if I choose the early morning flight) or Hampton Jitney if I take an afternoon flight.

The concierge at the Hilton New York expressed doubt that a taxi would go to Islip. Does anyone know if that is true and does anyone remember the cost if they have taken this trip.

Thanks for any help.
The Jitney seems like a bad idea. They have limited bus service and they leave you at Exit 60 on the LIE on the southeast corner of the service road and Ronkonoma Avenue. There is no cover so if it's raining, you'll get wet. But they WILL recommend a taxi service....isn't that nice?

I would take the LIRR to Ronkonkoma and then take the shuttle. But if you prefer car service, it will be pricey. It's up to you. Either way, it's a long trip. Bring good reading material.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Andy2
I am planning a trip to NYC and I must take Southwest (free ticket)
You can fly into LGA for less than $300 from almost anywhere in the country, and for less than $200 from many places. I'd guess a private car or negotiated taxi ride from Manhattan out to ISP is going to cost you at least $100 one-way. A taxi running its meter would charge you about $200.

Maybe you should save your WN freebie for another day? Heck, even if your WN freebie is set to expire, it might be cheaper (especially when you factor in the time savings) to just toss your WN ticket and pay your own way into LGA.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:47 pm
Original Member

Thanks. You are right. I booked United / US Airways into LGA from SDF for $225. I'll just pay the $50 to extend my Southwest ticket.

I appreciate the advice.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 8:40 pm

My wife and I are flying in from Norfolk, Va. to Long Island Macarthur Airport. We need to get to lower Manhattan. Is there a bus service that travels that route? If so, What are the rates?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by MRSAXXMANN
My wife and I are flying in from Norfolk, Va. to Long Island Macarthur Airport. We need to get to lower Manhattan. Is there a bus service that travels that route? If so, What are the rates?
No, not really - only to midtown Manhattan, plus if you have luggage to pull or carry. Depending on your flight date/day/time - waiting / catching the Hampton Jitney is a pain. EWR/LGA or even JFK out of the questions ??

For whatever reasons, if you can only fly in/out of MacArthur, LIRR's hourly commuter train is your best option - as long as you can manage your luggage (carry-on sized ) more reliable & less prone to traffic issues on the LIExpressway (a/k/a moving parking lot) - HOV lane is great until the city line, as rush hour, then ... Village Taxi (local) will take you to the train station, a mile away for $5 More info here - http://www.macarthurairport.com/ground-trans/lirr (scroll & you will find the jitney's info, call them to confirm if you wanted to go that route)
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by MRSAXXMANN
No airport bus service to Manhattan from ISP. Take a $5 taxi to the Long Island Railroad station at Ronkonkoma.

LIRR Fares:

Off peak: $13.25
Peak: $18.25
Senior Citizen/Disabled: $9.00

Buy the tickets before you board; if you buy on board, you'll pay an extra $5.75 fine per ticket.

https://www.macarthurairport.com/ground-trans/lirr
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"if you buy on board, you'll pay an extra $5.75 fine per ticket."

Unless you qualify for the senior/disabled fare.

One could also take the LIRR just from Ronkonkoma to Jamaica (lower fare), and take a subway from there to lower Manhattan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.