Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoid the Hotel Riverside

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2002, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Avoid the Hotel Riverside

Keep away from the Hotel Riverside, a small hotel on New York's Upper West Side. It serves a mainly Japanese clientele.

I overheard a guest complain to the manager about bad wiring in his room. The manager was arrogant and rude, and refused to even look at the problem. In my experience, if a hotel is sleazy on the details, it is sleazy on the big stuff, too.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
an update

This thread definitely needs an update...........
I too, have stayed at the Hotel Riverside and walked out on their dirty rooms. I am amazed they are still in business? But they advertise weekly in the (Toronto) G&M so, to paraphrase Barney & Bailey, a sucker is born every minute!
For fun, I looked up their TripAdvisor Reviews:
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserRe...ml#UR229223345
The reviews are surprisingly rosy, although if you read them thoroughly the problems persist.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
So where else are you going to stay in NYC for under $150/night?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation you can't be serious

Originally Posted by Blumie
Are you serious?? You have over 14 k posts on FT and you can't find a hotel in NYC for less than 150? Let's see.........

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...ork-102-a.html

Right under your nose!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Besides, I couldn't care less if it's $79 a night here in NYC with some of the posted pix on TripAdvisor. Depending on travel dates, Hotwire & Priceline can probably come up with something equal if not better at the price point, IMO - at a somewhat similar locations, say - LIC, just 1 subway train stop from the East Side. Or, even check out the in-town YMCA's for that matter. And, some of the airbnb listings would suffice (not that I personally use, endorse or recommend using them - but ...)

Last edited by dstan; Oct 1, 2014 at 10:43 am Reason: removed meta
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Are you serious?? You have over 14 k posts on FT and you can't find a hotel in NYC for less than 150? Let's see.........

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...ork-102-a.html

Right under your nose!
Yes, a six-month-old, no-longer-available mistake rate is exactly what people should be relying upon when looking for inexpensive hotel rooms in NYC.

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Besides, I couldn't care less if it's $79 a night here in NYC with some of the posted pix on TripAdvisor. Depending on travel dates, Hotwire & Priceline can probably come up with something equal if not better at the price point, IMO - at a somewhat similar locations, say - LIC, just 1 subway train stop from the East Side. Or, even check out the in-town YMCA's for that matter. And, some of the airbnb listings would suffice (not that I personally us, endorse or recommend using them - but ...)
These, on the other hand, are great suggestions for people looking to stay on the cheap in NYC. I'd probably give airbnb a go myself, notwithstanding the the City (and the hotel trade association) are trying hard to shut them down.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:45 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
While it is true that we generally discourage bumping very old threads, the new FT rules do not contain this caveat. Regardless, in this particular case, there was only one post in the original thread, and the second post is concurring, so there is not much purpose in splitting the new thread out. Thus, in this case, we'll allow the thread to continue as is.

/Moderator
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Queens.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Queens.
No, I meant IN the city.

(Eater.com made a point of pointing out that Queens, now with four Michelin starred restaurants, collectively has more stars than does Per Se. I'd personally rather eat at any of the four Queens Michelin starred restaurants -- Casa Enrique, M. Wells Steakhouse, Zabb Elee, Danny Brown -- than Per Se.)
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:01 am

No, I meant IN the city.

( I'd personally rather eat at any of the four Queens Michelin starred restaurants -- Casa Enrique, M. Wells Steakhouse, Zabb Elee, Danny Brown -- than Per Se.)
You're kidding right? Let me make a little note to ignore your restaurant rec's.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jologolf
You're kidding right? Let me make a little note to ignore your restaurant rec's.
Not kidding at all.

But while you're making your little note, also make a little note that I'm not criticizing Per Se, not judging it a bad restaurant, but that my desire to spend three hours on an over-the-top, $500+/person meal is a thing of the past. I much prefer the more casual restaurants of the type that tend to earn one (if any) star, as opposed to the three star places.

Of course we're really comparing apples to oranges, but sometimes when offered an apple, one prefers an orange.

Last edited by Blumie; Oct 2, 2014 at 10:42 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:31 am

We're getting pretty OT here, but Blumie you should be sure to check out Michelin's "Bib Gourmand" list, which are unstarred but worthy restaurants all offering the possibility of a quality and interesting meal for under $40 or so:

http://www.michelintravel.com/select...in-selections/
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah
We're getting pretty OT here, but Blumie you should be sure to check out Michelin's "Bib Gourmand" list, which are unstarred but worthy restaurants all offering the possibility of a quality and interesting meal for under $40 or so:

http://www.michelintravel.com/select...in-selections/
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.