Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Hotel in NYC for less than US$200/night?

Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Anyone here know of a decent hotel that's close to the subway for less than US$200/night or C$250/night? I need to be able to get to LGA or EWR with ease.

Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:53 am

Easily done off-peak, just book directly with the hotel.

If booking at Hilton brands, check the MVP rate by starting your search at stay.hilton.com/mvp
If booking at Wyndham brands, check the discount codes at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=934858

During peak times, I'd look into HotelTonight (app) or Hotwire.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Look at hotels located on the other side of the river from Manhattan that are on subway lines.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by davie355
Easily done off-peak, just book directly with the hotel.

If booking at Hilton brands, check the MVP rate by starting your search at stay.hilton.com/mvp
If booking at Wyndham brands, check the discount codes at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=934858

During peak times, I'd look into HotelTonight (app) or Hotwire.
How do I know if my dates fall under off-peak or peak times?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by lsquare
Anyone here know of a decent hotel that's close to the subway for less than US$200/night or C$250/night? I need to be able to get to LGA or EWR with ease.

Thanks!
What is your definition of "decent" and what is your expectation for a property? What you've written is really to vague to offer a realistic answer. Based on what you've written, so far, I would suggest researching hotels that are in Long Island City or Astoria portion of Queens, Downtown Brooklyn, Harlem and Lower Manhattan. In addition, hotels near LGA and EWR may also be an option.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Thanks!
This is all a bit vague.

When is your trip?

What is your tollerance for a long public transport trip to either airport (not that either are actually on the subway) that may involve multiple changes 30 mins? an hour? two?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:51 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
How do we know? You at least know the dates. And you want help from us operating blind?
KENNECTED and octr202 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:53 am

And.. how risk averse are you? I often find Manhattan Hilton hotels on weekends for under $200, but I am looking the day or two before. I also find them astronomically high in a similar search, so it is a "crap shoot". Right this minute, only one HH hotel tonight for under $200 (DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New York Times Square West)..... 16 for tomorrow (DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Metropolitan is $106!!).

In the old days you could reserve something and book something different at the last minute and cancel, but now you have 48-72 hr cancellation policies. You might consider a booking now and recheck when it gets to cancellation time.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:20 am

There is no way to advise you without knowing the dates of your visit.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:55 pm

My friend is coming to NYC also, so I'm also looking for hotel in Manhattan now.
Based on my search, I think hotels in NYC are cheapest on Sunday night. There are holiday inn, fairfield inn for less than $150 close to Time Square. Not sure if they count as decent in your eyes, but they are adequente to us at least. Saturday is already more expensive but you may still find few less than $200. For weekdays, forget about it. The fairfield inn which is less than $150 on Sunday is over $350 on Monday.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

Thanks!
Do you have business in manhattan? Hard to find something decent on this land for less than 200.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:02 pm

Depending WHEN you are coming to NYC you can find something at your price point. Also, do you want to be near LGA or EWR. If you are flying out of EWR you do NOT want to stay in Long Island City ( neighborhood in Queens) If you are using LGA it is fine. LIC is 1-2 subway stops from Manhattan. Depending where in Manhattan you are going, it is closer than some parts of Manhattan are to other parts.

Bottom line, as already said--information is needed to help you.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hotels around Wall Street are usually cheap on weekends.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:17 am

Go on any hotel booking website and run a search for your dates. If you find anything decent under $250, it's off peak. If there are low-end chain hotels charging over $500 a night, it's peak.

This answer sort of begs the question, though.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by themicah
Go on any hotel booking website and run a search for your dates.
I mean, this should have been the initial advice.

Then OP could ask people for opinions on specific properties/neighborhoods that passed the pricing screen.
KENNECTED and cestmoi123 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.