Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Restaurants [for 6-dinner trip]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would disagree with your suggestion on Mission Chinese, though...thoroughly average IMO, with a mediocre drink selection.
Mission Chinese's menu is unique enough that it's hard to call it "thoroughly average." That said, I've been three times and enjoyed it less each visit, which I attribute to getting over its shtick. The first time I found it fun and exciting, but by the third time that was far less the case.

(For anyone interested, Kings County Imperial, in Williamsburg a block from the Lorimer L train/Metropolitan G train station, also features an updated/"hipster" Sichuan menu using high quality ingredients, which I prefer to Mission Chinese. Their menu is more traditional and less shticky, and I find the food to be superb (except for their dan dan noodles, which I haven't enjoyed as much as the rest of the menu, but I still get on every visit!).)

As for Blue Hill - this might be heresy, but I prefer the food at the restaurant (1 star) in Greenwich Village vs. the restaurant at Stone Barns, which is definitely an experience but not as delicious. I got married there, and the wedding food was better than the main dining room. Probably the only place where that's true
Similar to the view I posted of Luger, Blue Hill at Stone Barns is about so much more than the food. Putting aside that most reports of the food are far more favorable than yours, dinner there really is a special experience IMHO.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:25 am

I would disagree with your suggestion on Mission Chinese, though...thoroughly average IMO, with a mediocre drink selection.
I've been to every place on the list save for Russian Tea Room.

MCF has one of the best natural wine lists in the city. It is a fun choice.

As others have suggested having that many fine dining meals will be exhausting; you've picked restaurants that check all the Michelin boxes but are not "exciting".

You should consider some funkier, envolope-pushing places like Blanca, Aska, Momofuku Ko or Olmsted. A friend of mine who travels the world to eat recently told me that Aska is the best fine dining restaurant in NYC right now. Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, as someone else suggested is anther solid choice.

Russian Tea Room and Grand Central Oyster Bar are tourists traps with mediocre food. If you want iconic NY, go to Katz's Deli. If I were to remove anything else it would be Jean-Georges and Del Posto. You will have incredible meals at both, but there is nothing exciting about either of them to me.

No pizza? Everyone has their favorite. Mine is Paulie Gee's.

Last edited by NYCRachel; Sep 17, 2017 at 1:31 am
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NONE
Originally Posted by NYCRachel
I've been to every place on the list save for Russian Tea Room.

As others have suggested having that many fine dining meals will be exhausting; you've picked restaurants that check all the Michelin boxes but are not "exciting".

You should consider some funkier, envolope-pushing places like Blanca, Aska, Momofuku Ko or Olmsted. A friend of mine who travels the world to eat recently told me that Aska is the best fine dining restaurant in NYC right now. Chef's Table at Brooklyn Fare, as someone else suggested is anther solid choice.

Russian Tea Room and Grand Central Oyster Bar are tourists traps with mediocre food. If you want iconic NY, go to Katz's Deli. If I were to remove anything else it would be Jean-Georges and Del Posto. You will have incredible meals at both, but there is nothing exciting about either of them to me.

Thanks! As for the "touristy" spots, we have special memories at JG and Oyster Bar, so we're going more for the memories than the food (although I am a JG fan). We couldn't find any place better than RTR for Russian food, but we will check out Aska (and we plan to eat at Momofuku Ko next trip, as well as Masa). Katz's? Now that is a place I'd expect to be overrun with tourists, no?

Everyone keeps recommending Brooklyn Fare. It must be good, but it just doesn't look very exciting. As far as pizza...well, that's basically a breakfast item in NY, isn't it?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by hotchocolate
Thanks! As for the "touristy" spots, we have special memories at JG and Oyster Bar, so we're going more for the memories than the food (although I am a JG fan). We couldn't find any place better than RTR for Russian food, but we will check out Aska (and we plan to eat at Momofuku Ko next trip, as well as Masa). Katz's? Now that is a place I'd expect to be overrun with tourists, no?

Everyone keeps recommending Brooklyn Fare. It must be good, but it just doesn't look very exciting. As far as pizza...well, that's basically a breakfast item in NY, isn't it?
Katz's, Central Park and the Highline are the three places in New York where you will see tourists and locals peacefully coexist.

When I have friends coming from out of town pizza and pastrami at Katz's are two musts. They're just iconic New York foods that you can't really get elsewhere better.

I personally refuse to go to Masa because it's cheaper to fly to Japan. Sukiyabashi Jiro (I've been) is more than half the price of Masa.

When you go to Grand Central Oyster Bar, make sure you hit up recently opened Great Northern Food Hall, run by Claus Meyer.

If you want the best Russian food you should go where the Russians live in Brighton Beach. It is a hike from Manhattan though.

Another tip is that a lot of the places you suggested (Del Posto, JG and EMP for sure) do lunch for significantly less money - same great service and food (maybe with a few less courses). I've had lunch at Del Posto and find it charming with the natural light coming in from the windows. Helps make it seem less stuffy.
hotchocolate likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:10 am

Katz's, Central Park and the Highline are the three places in New York where you will see tourists and locals peacefully coexist.
This is so true. I feel like there must be more places like that, but can't really think of any.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Roberta's! Best pizza ever.

Agree that OP seems to be intent on blowing a lot of money on fine dining. I'd be tired of the whole fine dining shtick after the first place. I also strongly suggest doing something fun, like going to Flushing and grazing at a variety of places. There is a wonton place (White Bear, I think it's called) that has an excellent spicy wonton appetizer for $5. Get that, then hit up a couple food courts in the local malls.
octr202 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Everyone has their favorite. Mine is Paulie Gee's.
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
My two favorites! Paulie Gee's is easier to get into. Roberta's has an often overlooked menu that extends beyond pizza that also is amazing. I'd go to either any day of the week.
octr202 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:27 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

When I have friends coming from out of town pizza and pastrami at Katz's are two musts. They're just iconic New York foods that you can't really get elsewhere better.
Equally good pizza can be found outside of NY (in New Haven, for example), and I'd argue that LA has better pastrami (at the drive-thru burger joints). Katz's is disgusting, and Second Ave. Deli/Sarge's also make feeble attempts. That said, I don't have a good NY suggestion for pastrami...yet.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
One of the last, if not the last, kosher deli's that still cure their own pastrami - the Mill Basin Deli. There was a segment about them on one of the morning shows last week.

I grew up eating it - they were around the corner from my home - and it ruined me for life. I haven't found better pastrami anywhere. Their round knish is also outstanding - and you can even get it stuffed with pastrami.

Yes, it's on the other side of Brooklyn, but it's worth the trip.

If you're on your way to JFK, you could drive around Brooklyn on the Belt going East, stop at the deli, and then continue on to the airport. It's only about 20 minutes away.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Equally good pizza can be found outside of NY (in New Haven, for example), and I'd argue that LA has better pastrami (at the drive-thru burger joints). Katz's is disgusting, and Second Ave. Deli/Sarge's also make feeble attempts. That said, I don't have a good NY suggestion for pastrami...yet.
Yeah, I don't care for Katz's either. It's too touristy and the sandwich is just "an obscene amount of pastrami on two dry slices of rye bread".
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Agree that OP seems to be intent on blowing a lot of money on fine dining. I'd be tired of the whole fine dining shtick after the first place. I also strongly suggest doing something fun, like going to Flushing and grazing at a variety of places. There is a wonton place (White Bear, I think it's called) that has an excellent spicy wonton appetizer for $5. Get that, then hit up a couple food courts in the local malls.
White Bear is excellent, but to the OP...it ain't great shakes. Definitely on the divier side.

If you want good pizza by the slice, hit up Prince Street Pizza and get one of their Sicilian-style slices of pepperoni...awesomely delicious.

I ate at Ko the other night for my anniversary dinner. Very good food, but Jungsik has its number, IMO, when it comes to 2-starred modern Asian-inspired cuisine. YMMV (the atmosphere at Ko is more laid back).

Their beer selection is wanting, and the cocktails were not that great either.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:48 pm

If you want the best Russian food you should go where the Russians live in Brighton Beach. It is a hike from Manhattan though.
Russian Vodka Room in Manhattan is okay for the Russian fare, but yes the Brighton Beach places are much livelier!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by themicah
This is so true. I feel like there must be more places like that, but can't really think of any.
The Met, Yankee and Shea Stadiums, and the Subway.

They co-exist in Times Square but I wouldn't say peacefully, they more like feed off each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.