Search

FAA JFK weather delays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:08 am
formerly Mdanner423
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
FAA JFK weather delays

I've been watching a flight that I'm going to be on in a few weeks to connect over t taipei (B61186). I notice it's often delayed for weather. When I see a thunderstorm delay for JFK on the FAA website and then look at the weather, no thunderstorm to be seen often (sometimes it seems true).

Do they throw the weather delay card a lot for NYC airports even when the weather isn't bad?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Storms can affect flights to or from an airport even when the storm isn't at the airport. If storms are forecast ATC will slow down arrivals to avoid planes stuck circling. If a storm is in between the origin and destination that changes flight routings and can reduce the overall number of planes that can travel through a certain area, creating delays.

The FAA doesn't play games with this stuff.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Add to prior accurate response on weather fronts.

Wind or low clouds will cause ATC delays even if no rain on the ground.
The problem with NYC airports with the limited airspace surrounding 3+ airports it has a domino impact as they will ground hold planes at origin to catch up takeoff/landings in local radius.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The NYC region, including its approaches includes not only JFK, EWR, and LGA, but also a number of other civilian and military fields. Along with LON, it is some of the most crowded airspace in the world.

A wind shift, a bit of visibility and so on, may be all it takes because there are limited options, e.g., can't just shift 30 aircraft to another vector.

The only real option is to cut the service into these fields and that is never ever going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.