Hotel Choice: Caryle vs New York Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton/Marriott/SPG Gold

I apologise if this has been covered previously, but couldn't find anything despite a search.

I'm travelling to New York at the beginning of September for six days to visit a few friends and see the sights. I've been a couple of times previously but wouldn't say I know the city particularly well. My Virtuoso adviser has managed to get excellent, and near identical, rates and amenities at The Carlyle and the New York Edition.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which hotel I should go for? Quality of the hotel itself is obviously a factor, as is the location.

Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I've enjoyed The Carlyle and for the museums it offers an excellent location but I prefer the Flatiron location of the New York Edition as its far more central to SoHo, East Village, Chelsea and NoMad and Meatpacking District than the Upper East Side. Just MHO but enjoy your stay regardless.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have never stayed at the New York Edition, but have just now checked in to the London Edition. I suspect the New York Edition is much more contemporary than the Carlyle -- which I prefer -- and I too much prefer its location I think you'll enjoy either, but I would go with the Edition.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The Carlyle is old-world New York elegance. If you want something in a trendy neighborhood which the Carlyle is not, go downtown. Both are luxurious. Choose whichever is more convenient to your itinerary.

Woody Allen and his jazz band play at the Carlyle and in fact they will be there in September so if you want to stay downtown, you can always buy tickets to hear Woody at the Carlyle.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton/Marriott/SPG Gold
Thanks for all the advice. I've gone for The Edition!
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by rt112
I apologise if this has been covered previously, but couldn't find anything despite a search.

I'm travelling to New York at the beginning of September for six days to visit a few friends and see the sights. I've been a couple of times previously but wouldn't say I know the city particularly well. My Virtuoso adviser has managed to get excellent, and near identical, rates and amenities at The Carlyle and the New York Edition.

Does anyone have a recommendation as to which hotel I should go for? Quality of the hotel itself is obviously a factor, as is the location.

Thanks!
I just booked three nights at the New York Edition over labor day weekend. I booked through AMEX FH&R and got a complimentary third night. This will be my first time not only at the property but in New York as well. I'm pretty excited for my stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.