JFK Layover Time

Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

JFK Layover Time

Hi Friends,

I'll be flying from Venice to JFK via Air France on a Wednesday. I land at 4:50p and the latest flight I can find to Austin from JFK is at 6:35p. That seems pretty tight getting through customs (and from what I've read security again). I'm flying with just a carry on.

Does anyone have a clue as if that is possible to make, or should I be looking for Thursday morning flights?

Thanks!

Colin

Last edited by Colin Baillargeon; Jul 11, 2017 at 4:15 pm
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:20 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Colin Baillargeon
Hi Friends,

I'll be flying from Venice to JFK via Air France on a Wednesday. I land at 4:50p and the latest flight I can find to Austin from JFK is at 6:35p. That seems pretty tight getting through customs (and from what I've read security again). I'm flying with just a carry on.

Does anyone have a clue as if that is possible to make, or should I be looking for Thursday morning flights?

Thanks!

Colin
Welcome to Flyertalk, Colin Baillargeon
I am moving your thread to the New York Forum (See destinations)
Please follow there...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Short answer: It depends.

Longer answer:

Are you eligible to use the Mobile Passport app (US citizen or returning ETSA) or Global Entry lane? I'm guessing not which makes this harder.

You will clear immigration & customs at T1 and then need to get to either T4 (Delta) or T5 (JetBlue) to catch the onward flight to AUS. I'm not sure which carrier you were looking at for that. Switching terminals should only take 10-15 minutes on the AirTrain (free ride inside the airport) and then 10-15 more back through security.

The official minimum connect time for such an itinerary is 1:45 which is exactly what you're scheduled for, meaning you're cutting it tight. If this is on separate tickets I'd say probably more risky than not, though still a 40-50% chance you make it. If on a single ticket go for it and worst case is they rebook you when you miss.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Colin Baillargeon
Hi Friends,

Thanks!

Colin
Which Wednesday? On Wednesday, August 30, JetBlue has a 9:25 pm JFK-AUS flight.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
I'm in a similar situation, flying DL211 PRG-JFK, arriving JFK at 4:50 p.m., transferring to DL4153 to IAD at 6:25 p.m. I'm in D1 with GE. I don't know JFK--which terminals am I likely to come into and go out of? Any tips about transferring expeditiously would be appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mglvrug
I'm in a similar situation, flying DL211 PRG-JFK, arriving JFK at 4:50 p.m., transferring to DL4153 to IAD at 6:25 p.m. I'm in D1 with GE. I don't know JFK--which terminals am I likely to come into and go out of? Any tips about transferring expeditiously would be appreciated.
Checked bags? That may make a difference.

You'll arrive in T4 and likely depart from the commuter gates at the far end of T4. Clear immigration, grab bags, clear customs, drop bags, upstairs to security and then in to the gate. The regional gates are ~10-15 minutes walking from the T4 security checkpoint. There is also a bus that runs to that end of the terminal from just inside security (first gate on the DL side of the terminal, labeled JFK Jitney or similar). With no bags I wouldn't sweat the connection, though probably no lounge time. With bags it really depends on how long they take to show up at the belt.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks, sbm12. Most helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.