Wiki Posts
Search

In search of a new cheap/yummy dumpling house in Chinatown

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

In search of a new cheap/yummy dumpling house in Chinatown

Excellent Dumplings, our go-to in Chinatown for years, lost their lease. We went down there over the weekend and found that out. They relocated to Chelsea but it wasn't the same. The owners hired new chefs and it's not nearly as good.

We need a new place and I'm seeking your recommendations. I've read older threads here about Vanessa's Dumplings. Is it still good? Whose dumplings in Chinatown are the most delicious and cheap? I'm specifying Chinatown because we like to walk to Ferraro's afterwards for gelato.

Thanks!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Budget / similar to Excellent Dumplings: the dumpling place on Mosco St next to Transfiguration Church or Tasty Dumpling on Mulberry St. Vanessa's is not bad but go to the original on Eldridge St; the pancakes stuffed with braised beef are good as well.

Thin-skin dumpling: Lam Zhou Handmade Noodle on East Broadway - go to Ice & Vice or Doughnut Plant for your dessert fix afterwards.

Spicy dumplings: Xi'an Famous Foods, although this now a chain. Enjoy some almond cookie, black sesame or lychee ice cream at Chinatown Ice Cream Factory afterwards.

Hipster dumplings: Mimi Cheng's - not bad, but the most expensive

Disclaimer: I grew up in Chinatown and still live here
Old Jul 11, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
I don't know why anyone would eat dumplings in NY Chinatown. Since this is a frequent flyer board, I'd suggest heading to HKG if you want to eat really good (and cheap) dumplings.

Runner up is a place on Commercial St in San Francisco Chinatown, if you want to stay domestic.

Haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is well.

dh
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I don't know why anyone would eat dumplings in NY Chinatown. Since this is a frequent flyer board, I'd suggest heading to HKG if you want to eat really good (and cheap) dumplings.
That's like settling for Italian food in Bensonhurst instead of Roma or Napoli and making a bus tour of that area. Insignificant people might just thumb a ride back to Manhattan if you're not careful. I do love dumplings in Chinatown.

Runner up is a place on Commercial St in San Francisco Chinatown, if you want to stay domestic.
No name of said place?

Haven't seen you in a while. Hope all is well.

dh
Everything is good, thank you. Been a long time since a Catman Do or any NYC get together. I hope all is well for you too.

Thanks 764toHI for your suggestions.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by Analise
That's like settling for Italian food in Bensonhurst instead of Roma or Napoli and making a bus tour of that area. Insignificant people might just thumb a ride back to Manhattan if you're not careful. I do love dumplings in Chinatown.

No name of said place?
http://cityviewdimsum.com/
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I've had dumplings cravings for the last few days. If anyone has suggestions either near Grand Central or Chelsea Market, that'd be lovely
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Originally Posted by closetasfan
I've had dumplings cravings for the last few days. If anyone has suggestions either near Grand Central or Chelsea Market, that'd be lovely
There is a Xi'an Famous Foods on 45th St right off 5th Ave.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 1:46 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Added this thread to the Sticky!
Old Jul 15, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Have not tried this place yet.

https://ny.eater.com/2017/2/20/14669...mous-foods-nyc
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Best soup dumplings: The Bao (in East Village, but not the cheapest around)
Best cheap dumplings in Manhattan Chinatown: Lam Zhou (although primarily a noodle house, their dumplings are excellent). Vanessa's and Prosperity are both solid choices as well and a bit more accessible, given how small Lam Zhou is (Prosperity is even smaller, but they will give you your food in a Styrofoam container - easier to walk out with).

FWIW - Excellent Dumplings is now open in Chelsea...it's on 23rd and 8th (I think). My wife has been bugging me to go there since it's within close walking distance of where we live
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
FWIW - Excellent Dumplings is now open in Chelsea...it's on 23rd and 8th (I think). My wife has been bugging me to go there since it's within close walking distance of where we live
My husband and I went there as soon as we arrived at the closed, original Excellent Dumpling off Canal.

Let me save you the trip. Don't go. They brought in a new chef & kitchen staff who changed the recipes for the dumplings and the sauces. The dumplings were ok but the sauces were awful. Very vinegar-intensive. Not even close to being as good as they had been for years which is why I started the thread. They also replaced the wait staff.

They did a great business with those stuck on jury duty too.

Last edited by Analise; Jul 17, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Old Jul 17, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Another vote for Xi'an

We went there for the first time during a trip in May and wished we had more time to go back.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 1:01 pm

We live on the LES and our regular spot is North Dumpling on Essex near the corner of Hester. (Note: some websites call it China North Dumpling and the main awning says Homemade Dumpling, but in Chinese it's 北方鍋貼 and one of their English signs says "North Dumpling" so I stick with that).

One caveat: I don't eat mammals so I can't comment personally on the pork dumplings, but their veggie offerings are delicious and cheap, and the pork dumplings are hugely popular with an incredibly diverse crowd (including lots of Chinatown residents).

My go-to orders are the veggie dumplings, the chive pancakes, and the veggie sandwich (fresh bok choy, shaved carrots, and Sriracha on a sesame pancake that's kind of like a giant fluffy fried pita).

The wrappers on the dumplings aren't the thinnest, and they don't have the variety or fancy fillers of places like Vanessa's (the only dumpling choices at North Dumpling are pan fried pork, steamed pork, or steamed veggie). But it's very flavorful and very cheap and very reliable. Try it.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
-Shanghai Cafe: my standard go to Chinese food spot in Chinatown.
-Joe's Shanghai: soup dumplings & their pork with Chinese eggplant are delicious
-Tim Wo Han: (10th street and 4th ave) is the cheapest Michelin Star restaurant in NYC. The pork buns, dumplings, rice wraps and pretty much everything else is really good and cheap.
-Xi'an Famous Foods: The noodle quality varies by location. Their cumin lamb "burger" is worth grabbing with any other dish.
-Vanessa's dumplings aren't anything great but they're cheap and taste ok. The scallion pancake is better in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.