Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Best way from Hilton Times Square to EWR

Old May 27, 2017, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold

Hi everyone! I am excited to tell all of you that I will be traveling to Israel on Birthright on Wednesday, June 21st, 2017. Since there are currently no nonstops from South Florida-TLV, I will be meeting the group in NYC and departing from there. I will be flying to JFK from FLL 2 days before I leave for Israel, as my flight home from Israel goes to JFK. With this I want to know which method of getting from NYC-EWR is better if I am staying at the Hilton Times Square? Should I use NJT from Penn Station to EWR or use the bus from the Port Authority? My flight, which is LY28 departs from EWR at 1:30PM, but I have to be at the airport five hours before the scheduled departure time as instructed by the group. I was thinking of doing the bus as I heard that works the best and my hotel is not far from Port Authority, but my mom is concerned as the Port Authority Bus Terminal can be scuzzy and she thinks that NJT would be faster, as we would not have to deal with road traffic. What does everyone think? Thank you!

Last edited by WolfieG; May 28, 2017 at 7:14 am
Old May 27, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WolfieG
Hi everyone! I am excited to tell all of you that I will be traveling to Israel on Birthright on June 21st, 2017. Since there are currently no nonstops from South Florida-TLV, I will be meeting the group in NYC and departing from there. I will be flying to JFK from FLL 2 days before I leave for Israel, as my flight home from Israel goes to JFK. With this I want to know which method of getting from NYC-EWR is better if I am staying at the Hilton Times Square? Should I use NJT from Penn Station to EWR or use the bus from the Port Authority? My flight, which is LY28 departs from EWR at 1:30PM, but I have to be at the airport five hours before the scheduled departure time as instructed by the group. I was thinking of doing the bus as I heard that works the best and my hotel is not far from Port Authority, but my mom is concerned as the Port Authority Bus Terminal can be scuzzy and she thinks that NJT would be faster, as we would not have to deal with road traffic. What does everyone think? Thank you!

What day of the week?

Staying at the Times Square Hilton, it's pretty much a no-brainer to take the bus from PABT. Yes, it's possible that the bus will take longer than the train, but the reverse is also possible, given the recent problems at Penn Station. Plus, the bus will drop you right at your terminal; no schlepping of luggage from your NJ Transit train up to the EWR AirTrain

Of course, you could also opt to stay out at Newark Airport the night before your departure, instead of spending both nights at the Times Square Hilton.
Old May 28, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by guv1976
Of course, you could also opt to stay out at Newark Airport the night before your departure, instead of spending both nights at the Times Square Hilton.
It's easy enough to get to EWR by bus or train that I would not waste a night by spending it at the airport.

The Port Authority is scuzzy, but it's not unsafe. (The same can be said for Penn Station, although it's not as scuzzy as the Port Authority.) I'd take the bus. Tell mamele that her little boytshik will be fine.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
What day of the week?

Staying at the Times Square Hilton, it's pretty much a no-brainer to take the bus from PABT. Yes, it's possible that the bus will take longer than the train, but the reverse is also possible, given the recent problems at Penn Station. Plus, the bus will drop you right at your terminal; no schlepping of luggage from your NJ Transit train up to the EWR AirTrain

Hi guv1976! I will be leaving on a Wednesday. That's what I think too, as the hotel is not that far away from PABT. Combined with the location of where I will be staying in NYC plus the fact that the bus drops you right off at your terminal make the bus a winner in this case. I have never used EWR as when I used to live on Long Island, I used JFK or LGA since I was close to those airports. If the flight were going from JFK (my flight back from Israel to the USA goes to JFK), I would do the LIRR to the JFK AirTrain as I did it once before and liked it! Thank you guv1976!
Old May 28, 2017, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
It's easy enough to get to EWR by bus or train that I would not waste a night by spending it at the airport.

The Port Authority is scuzzy, but it's not unsafe. (The same can be said for Penn Station, although it's not as scuzzy as the Port Authority.) I'd take the bus. Tell mamele that her little boytshik will be fine.
Hi Blumie! I agree with you on the hotel and besides, I am staying there as it is a very nice hotel and my mom loved it, so she wants me to stay there. In addition, I have never stayed at a hotel in NYC, as I used to be able to commute to the city a lot as I used to live out on Long Island about 40-50 minutes from the city by LIRR or car, so this will be my first time being an out-of-state visitor to NYC . Based on your comments, I was able to tell mamele that "her little boytshik (love how you used Yiddish! ) will be fine" and thanks to your feedback, I convinced her that the bus is the way to go to EWR in this case and she agrees! Thank you Blumie!
Old May 29, 2017, 3:14 am

Hi everyone. I am staying near NY Penn Station so I am intending to go to EWR by NJ transit train. I found in the web:

New York Penn Station to Newark Airport:
08:22 PM North Jersey Coast #3283 08:46 PM 24 minutes

Adult One Way $13.00 Child/Senior/Disabled One Way $9.00*
* The Newark Airport Rail Station access fee will no longer be charged for child fares (age 11 and under).

We are 4 including 2 kids. So we will have to leave the train at Newark Liberty Airport Station and take Airtrain to the Terminal B (in the same station), and it take more 5.50$/pax, is it right?

And pls tell me how to buy ticket and is it easy to take the 3283 train?
Old May 29, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Huy Tran
Hi everyone. I am staying near NY Penn Station so I am intending to go to EWR by NJ transit train. I found in the web:

* The Newark Airport Rail Station access fee will no longer be charged for child fares (age 11 and under).

We are 4 including 2 kids. So we will have to leave the train at Newark Liberty Airport Station and take Airtrain to the Terminal B (in the same station), and it take more 5.50$/pax, is it right?

The easiest way to do this is to enter Penn Station at the corner of 7th Avenue and 31st Street. There are escalators at that entrance to make it easier with luggage, and it takes you directly to the NJTransit area within Penn Station.

When you get to the bottom of the escalator, you will see the NJTransit ticket vending machines. (You may also see an AMTRAK ticket vending machine. Make sure to use the NJTransit machine.) Use your credit card to purchase two adult and two childrens tickets to Newark Airport. If you do this, you will not have to pay any other fare to ride the AirTrain. The AirTrain fee is already included.

If you have any problems purchasing tickets using the machine, the NJTransit ticket windows are right there as well.

There are also monitors right in that same area that will list all of the trains and, shortly before departure time, will list the track from which your train will depart. If you arrive early, you can take an earlier train; you can take any train that has the notation EWR on the departure screen.

When you get to Newark Airport Rail Station, you will need to use the same ticket to get to the AirTrain, which will take you directly to your terminal.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Huy Tran

What day of the week will you be traveling? Children under 12 ride for free on some days of the week when traveling with a fare-paying adult.

If you purchase an NJ Transit Rail ticket to EWR Airport, the $5.50 AirTrain access fee is included in the ticket price -- you will not have to pay extra.

But it's a little odd that the child fare to EWR is the same as the senior fare: children are exempt from the $5.50 AirTrain fee, but seniors and the disabled are not.

A cheaper option would be for the four of you to buy NJ Transit Rail tickets only as far as downtown Newark, and then board the Route 62 bus, which gets to the Airport in about 20 minutes. It will take a little longer, but will cost much less.
Old May 30, 2017, 7:23 pm

The easiest way to do this is to enter Penn Station at the corner of 7th Avenue and 31st Street. There are escalators at that entrance to make it easier with luggage, and it takes you directly to the NJTransit area within Penn Station.

When you get to the bottom of the escalator, you will see the NJTransit ticket vending machines. (You may also see an AMTRAK ticket vending machine. Make sure to use the NJTransit machine.) Use your credit card to purchase two adult and two childrens tickets to Newark Airport. If you do this, you will not have to pay any other fare to ride the AirTrain. The AirTrain fee is already included.

If you have any problems purchasing tickets using the machine, the NJTransit ticket windows are right there as well.

There are also monitors right in that same area that will list all of the trains and, shortly before departure time, will list the track from which your train will depart. If you arrive early, you can take an earlier train; you can take any train that has the notation EWR on the departure screen.

When you get to Newark Airport Rail Station, you will need to use the same ticket to get to the AirTrain, which will take you directly to your terminal.
Thank you very much for the detailed guidances.

What day of the week will you be traveling? Children under 12 ride for free on some days of the week when traveling with a fare-paying adult.

If you purchase an NJ Transit Rail ticket to EWR Airport, the $5.50 AirTrain access fee is included in the ticket price -- you will not have to pay extra.

But it's a little odd that the child fare to EWR is the same as the senior fare: children are exempt from the $5.50 AirTrain fee, but seniors and the disabled are not.

A cheaper option would be for the four of you to buy NJ Transit Rail tickets only as far as downtown Newark, and then board the Route 62 bus, which gets to the Airport in about 20 minutes. It will take a little longer, but will cost much less.
I will be leaving NY Penn station on Thursday, June 22. Thanks for your advices but may be I choose to get the train directly to EWR, not get the bus because of luggages and kids.
Old May 31, 2017, 12:01 am

Although the bus itself doesn't leave from the PABT itself, the stop is on the roadway on 41st Street if that helps with the scuzziness.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
Although the bus itself doesn't leave from the PABT itself, the stop is on the roadway on 41st Street if that helps with the scuzziness.
That undercover block of 41st is not exactly non-scuzzy either, but it's true that you don't have to go inside the PABT. Also, the driver will sell you the ticket.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
That helps a lot as I would not really have to enter the terminal. Thank you Nugget_Oz!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
That undercover block of 41st is not exactly non-scuzzy either, but it's true that you don't have to go inside the PABT. Also, the driver will sell you the ticket.
Hmmm I see. The fact that you don't even have to go inside the PABT means that the bus to EWR is becoming my favored option more and more. Thank you BearX220!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

OK I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help! Based on your input such as the convenience of the bus, the fact that the PABT is not completely unsafe, and that I would not really have to enter the PABT in order to board the bus to EWR, I have decided that I will be using the bus to EWR. Thank you to everyone for your help and all the best!
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
No problem WolfieG. It's an easy two-minute walk from your hotel to the bus stop. Just exit the Hilton through the back door onto 41st, and turn right so you are walking west. Cross 8th Avenue and you are nearly there.

The block of 41st where the bus stops is straddled by the PABT overhead structure, so while it is a little dark and gloomy you will not have to wait in the rain. Please note that the stop area is indicated by one solitary, lonely pole, like a city transit stop, so don't be looking for ambitious signage. But the bus itself has NEWARK AIRPORT written all over it and there is often one idling at the stop waiting to depart when the timetable says. I am sure you'll have an easy time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.