Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from Hilton Times Square to EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
Wow, that's a really heart-rending story.

I'm not clear whether the bus described is the Newark Airport Express bus (CoachUSA/Olympia Trails), though. (Perhaps you saw/heard other news reports that identified it as such?)
Don't know if it was Newark Airport Express, but it was a Coach USA bus.

"The Coach USA bus driver was identified by sources as Dave Lewis, 52, of Poughkeepsie."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3244722
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:06 pm

Once you missed the first bus, why not just take Lyft (or even earlier, perhaps after spending 30 mins in the sun). You could've also split the fare with a few others who were waiting with you.

What am I missing?

I can confirm that the bus can be problematic from the PABT (Port Authority Bus Terminal/Times Square) stop, based on just ONE rather miserable experience trying to get to EWR. On Monday, June 12, I went to the stop at 4:00 PM (from my hotel very nearby), for a 7:15 PM flight. I had already done online checkin/boarding pass; I had no bags to check, just carry-on luggage; and I have TSA Pre. One would think that there should be no worries about making the flight! Well, I (or, I and a whole crowd of other people waiting) spent close to TWO HOURS standing in the 90-degree heat. Or rather, a bus came after an hour, at 5:00 PM, but there were only seven seats available. So that at least moved me closer to the front of the line. Later, another bus arrived, but only TWO seats were available on that one, and the two people who got on happened to be line-jumpers. Finally, it was approaching 6:00 PM, and a bus arrived with lots of seats available (though not enough to accommodate the whole crowd waiting), and I was on my way. Of course, my EWR stop was Terminal C, the last of the three stops, and it seemed iffy whether I would even make my flight. Anyhow, I got to the terminal around a quarter before 7:00, went to the TSA Pre line, and to my amazement and relief, found the line practically deserted. Hoofed it to the gate, even had time for a quick restroom stop, and arrived at the gate, the last to board, just before the 15-min. cutoff.

If I had known beforehand that the wait would be so insane, I would have simply walked down to Penn Station and caught an NJ Transit train instead. And that's probably what I will do next time. (I used to fly in/out of JFK, which was an easy and reasonably predictable/reliable ride on the subway; now that United has moved the JFK flights to EWR, I am adjusting to the new situation.)

Also note that signs posted at the line claim that the bus to EWR runs "every 15 minutes."

I realize that the traffic situation is not CoachUSA's fault, but they definitely have operational problems (i.e., by filling the buses on the earlier stops, they are royally screwing over the PABT passengers).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by malgudi
Once you missed the first bus, why not just take Lyft (or even earlier, perhaps after spending 30 mins in the sun). You could've also split the fare with a few others who were waiting with you.

What am I missing?

You've got 20-20 hindsight. We were told a bus was coming "shortly." And some of us had already purchased tickets for the bus.

Also, that part of 41st St (between 8th & 9th Aves) is shaded (it's kind of a tunnel), but it was hot, not "in the sun."
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:41 am

20-20 hindsight or not, it's only prudent to assume that most folks would do what it takes to not miss their flight rather than wait 2hrs in a hot tunnel

You've got 20-20 hindsight. We were told a bus was coming "shortly." And some of us had already purchased tickets for the bus.

Also, that part of 41st St (between 8th & 9th Aves) is shaded (it's kind of a tunnel), but it was hot, not "in the sun."
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I can confirm that the bus can be problematic from the PABT (Port Authority Bus Terminal/Times Square) stop, based on just ONE rather miserable experience trying to get to EWR. On Monday, June 12, I went to the stop at 4:00 PM (from my hotel very nearby), for a 7:15 PM flight. I had already done online checkin/boarding pass; I had no bags to check, just carry-on luggage; and I have TSA Pre. One would think that there should be no worries about making the flight! Well, I (or, I and a whole crowd of other people waiting) spent close to TWO HOURS standing in the 90-degree heat. Or rather, a bus came after an hour, at 5:00 PM, but there were only seven seats available. So that at least moved me closer to the front of the line. Later, another bus arrived, but only TWO seats were available on that one, and the two people who got on happened to be line-jumpers. Finally, it was approaching 6:00 PM, and a bus arrived with lots of seats available (though not enough to accommodate the whole crowd waiting), and I was on my way. Of course, my EWR stop was Terminal C, the last of the three stops, and it seemed iffy whether I would even make my flight. Anyhow, I got to the terminal around a quarter before 7:00, went to the TSA Pre line, and to my amazement and relief, found the line practically deserted. Hoofed it to the gate, even had time for a quick restroom stop, and arrived at the gate, the last to board, just before the 15-min. cutoff..
I know of someone that missed the plane by experiencing the same thing.

I have taken the PATH train between the World Trade Center and Newark Penn Station ($2.75, Metrocard accepted) and connecting with New Jersey Transit train to Newark Airport Air Train station ($8.50). Has anyone taken the $1.60 bus between Newark Penn Station and Newark Airport Terminals A, B, or C?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Pretty seamless connection between PATH and the 62 NJT bus which stops at every terminal at EWR. The bus stop is on the Raymond Blvd side, runs every 10-20 minutes, and takes about 15-20 minutes to reach EWR from Newark Penn Station. I highly recommend taking a look at the PATH and NJT schedules to ensure a minimal connection between the two services.

With the current Penn Station mess, the PATH to the 62 bus has been my preferred method to EWR these days. The $1.60 fare is also a great way to get rid of loose change @:-)

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Has anyone taken the $1.60 bus between Newark Penn Station and Newark Airport Terminals A, B, or C?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Hi everyone sorry I am way late to posting on this thread but I wanted to just thank all of you for your help! First, let me just say Israel was amazing and I definitely want to return. As far as the Newark Airport bus it worked very well! I used on June 19th and before I left the Hilton Times Square, I printed my boarding pass for the bus and had a backup on my iPhone 7 Plus and was on my way. I walked out the Hilton's 41st Street entrance, crossed 8th Avenue, and found the area where the Newark Airport bus by Coach USA departs from, which is in the PABT's tunnel between 8th and 9th Avenues. I opted for the 7:00AM bus and it arrived one minute early and was clearly marked on the front with "Newark Airport Express." As for the bus itself, think city-bus with luggage racks like a car rental shuttle. The bus was utilitarian, but served the purpose well. The driver and the person checking tickets were very polite too! The ride to EWR took about 40-minutes, slightly longer than average, as there was traffic exiting the Lincoln Tunnel (NJ-495) which gummed up the works a little bit. Other than that the NJ Turnpike/I-95 southbound were fine as was US-1/9. I arrived 50-minutes before the group's 8:30AM arrival deadline and all was well. Overall, I would definitely recommend the Newark Airport Express, as it is relatively efficient, not expensive, and can be very convenient. Thank you again to everyone!

Last edited by WolfieG; Jul 17, 2017 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:32 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thanks for reporting back! Glad things worked out well!
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by dstan
Thanks for reporting back! Glad things worked out well!
Thank you dstan!
Old Jul 18, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by WolfieG
As far as the Newark Airport bus it worked very well!... Overall, I would definitely recommend the Newark Airport Express, as it is relatively efficient, not expensive, and can be very convenient.
Another convert. Good to hear. Thanks for reporting back.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
Another convert. Good to hear. Thanks for reporting back.
Haha thank you! You're very welcome glad to give a nice report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.