Best way from Hilton Times Square to EWR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way from Hilton Times Square to EWR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
No problem WolfieG. It's an easy two-minute walk from your hotel to the bus stop. Just exit the Hilton through the back door onto 41st, and turn right so you are walking west. Cross 8th Avenue and you are nearly there.

The block of 41st where the bus stops is straddled by the PABT overhead structure, so while it is a little dark and gloomy you will not have to wait in the rain. Please note that the stop area is indicated by one solitary, lonely pole, like a city transit stop, so don't be looking for ambitious signage. But the bus itself has NEWARK AIRPORT written all over it and there is often one idling at the stop waiting to depart when the timetable says. I am sure you'll have an easy time.
Super BearX220! That is a very easy walk without a doubt. It is pretty good that there is an overhead structure there, so I will not get wet in case it rains. That is good to know it is a solitary stop not unlike a regular bus stop, so I will not waste time trying to find the stop and will make sure that I make the bus. That is excellent that the bus has NEWARK AIRPORT written all over it, as I know that I will be boarding the correct bus. Sounds like getting the bus will be no problem and it will be an easy time indeed! Thank you again!
Old Jun 4, 2017, 8:11 pm

Be aware that P.A. stop, 41st St between 8th and 9th Ave, is the 3rd stop for the Newark Airport Express and if there's no room for everybody waiting in line, you might have to wait for the next bus, which runs every 30 minutes. (assuming you can get on the next bus.)

I've taken the bus, usually if uber/lyft is using surge pricing, when it can go over $100, I'll opt for the Newark Airport Express from the first stop near Grand Central Terminal on the East side. I've seen them leave people behind at the P.A. stop.

Leave plenty of extra time and you should be fine. Or take NJT, but then you are depending on the Air Train working.

Or if there's no suge pricing, spllt an uber or lyft with a couple of your new friends.

-David
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Huy Tran
Thank you very much for the detailed guidances.

I will be leaving NY Penn station on Thursday, June 22. Thanks for your advices but may be I choose to get the train directly to EWR, not get the bus because of luggages and kids.
Please note that the child fare on the train from NY Penn Station to EWR Airport Rail Station is only 3.50, not the $9.00 posted on line. I confirmed this at a NJ Transit ticket vending machine yesterday. The correct child fare also is shown in the NJ Transit Northeast Corridor line timetable.

Note that the NJ Transit train does not go directly to the terminals at EWR. You would have to transfer to the EWR AirTrain monorail at EWR Rail Station. With luggage and children, you might find the Airport Express bus from Manhattan to be easier than taking the train.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by guv1976
Note that the NJ Transit train does not go directly to the terminals at EWR. You would have to transfer to the EWR AirTrain monorail at EWR Rail Station. With luggage and children, you might find the Airport Express bus from Manhattan to be easier than taking the train.
While guv1976 is absolutely right about this, I find that the NJT-AirTrain transfer is not substantially more of a hassle than taking the bus. In either case there will be some level of shlepping involved (if you take the bus, you have to walk from where the bus drops you adjacent to the terminal and make your way upstairs; from NJT, you have to walk through the indoor connector to the AirTrain, ride the AirTrain, and then take the escalator down to the terminal). All things being equal I'd prefer to be on the train.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
[duplicate -- deleted]

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Jun 14, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Be aware that P.A. stop, 41st St between 8th and 9th Ave, is the 3rd stop for the Newark Airport Express and if there's no room for everybody waiting in line, you might have to wait for the next bus, which runs every 30 minutes. (assuming you can get on the next bus.)

I've taken the bus, usually if uber/lyft is using surge pricing, when it can go over $100, I'll opt for the Newark Airport Express from the first stop near Grand Central Terminal on the East side. I've seen them leave people behind at the P.A. stop.

Leave plenty of extra time and you should be fine. Or take NJT, but then you are depending on the Air Train working.

Or if there's no suge pricing, spllt an uber or lyft with a couple of your new friends.

-David
I can confirm that the bus can be problematic from the PABT (Port Authority Bus Terminal/Times Square) stop, based on just ONE rather miserable experience trying to get to EWR. On Monday, June 12, I went to the stop at 4:00 PM (from my hotel very nearby), for a 7:15 PM flight. I had already done online checkin/boarding pass; I had no bags to check, just carry-on luggage; and I have TSA Pre. One would think that there should be no worries about making the flight! Well, I (or, I and a whole crowd of other people waiting) spent close to TWO HOURS standing in the 90-degree heat. Or rather, a bus came after an hour, at 5:00 PM, but there were only seven seats available. So that at least moved me closer to the front of the line. Later, another bus arrived, but only TWO seats were available on that one, and the two people who got on happened to be line-jumpers. Finally, it was approaching 6:00 PM, and a bus arrived with lots of seats available (though not enough to accommodate the whole crowd waiting), and I was on my way. Of course, my EWR stop was Terminal C, the last of the three stops, and it seemed iffy whether I would even make my flight. Anyhow, I got to the terminal around a quarter before 7:00, went to the TSA Pre line, and to my amazement and relief, found the line practically deserted. Hoofed it to the gate, even had time for a quick restroom stop, and arrived at the gate, the last to board, just before the 15-min. cutoff.

If I had known beforehand that the wait would be so insane, I would have simply walked down to Penn Station and caught an NJ Transit train instead. And that's probably what I will do next time. (I used to fly in/out of JFK, which was an easy and reasonably predictable/reliable ride on the subway; now that United has moved the JFK flights to EWR, I am adjusting to the new situation.)

Also note that signs posted at the line claim that the bus to EWR runs "every 15 minutes."

I realize that the traffic situation is not CoachUSA's fault, but they definitely have operational problems (i.e., by filling the buses on the earlier stops, they are royally screwing over the PABT passengers).

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Jun 14, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
I can confirm that the bus can be problematic from the PABT (Port Authority Bus Terminal/Times Square) stop, based on just ONE rather miserable experience trying to get to EWR. On Monday, June 12, I went to the stop at 4:00 PM (from my hotel very nearby), for a 7:15 PM flight. I had already done online checkin/boarding pass; I had no bags to check, just carry-on luggage; and I have TSA Pre. One would think that there should be no worries about making the flight! Well, I (or, I and a whole crowd of other people waiting) spent close to TWO HOURS standing in the 90-degree heat. Or rather, a bus came after an hour, at 5:00 PM, but there were only seven seats available. So that at least moved me closer to the front of the line. Later, another bus arrived, but only TWO seats were available on that one, and the two people who got on happened to be line-jumpers. Finally, it was approaching 6:00 PM, and a bus arrived with lots of seats available (though not enough to accommodate the whole crowd waiting), and I was on my way. Of course, my EWR stop was Terminal C, the last of the three stops, and it seemed iffy whether I would even make my flight. Anyhow, I got to the terminal around a quarter before 7:00, went to the TSA Pre line, and to my amazement and relief, found the line practically deserted. Hoofed it to the gate, even had time for a quick restroom stop, and arrived at the gate, the last to board, just before the 15-min. cutoff.

If I had known beforehand that the wait would be so insane, I would have simply walked down to Penn Station and caught an NJ Transit train instead. And that's probably what I will do next time. (I used to fly in/out of JFK, which was an easy and reasonably predictable/reliable ride on the subway; now that United has moved the JFK flights to EWR, I am adjusting to the new situation.)

Also note that signs posted at the line claim that the bus to EWR runs "every 15 minutes."

I realize that the traffic situation is not CoachUSA's fault, but they definitely have operational problems (i.e., by filling the buses on the earlier stops, they are royally screwing over the PABT passengers).
I don't know how you feel about driving from Manhattan to EWR, but on Sunday afternoon and Monday, Avis and Budget offer a one-way rate of $19.99 + tax (~ $24.00, all-in). I believe that gas is included in that rate, too. Avis limits you to either four or six hours for the rental; not sure about Budget.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know how you feel about driving from Manhattan to EWR, but on Sunday afternoon and Monday, Avis and Budget offer a one-way rate of $19.99 + tax (~ $24.00, all-in). I believe that gas is included in that rate, too. Avis limits you to either four or six hours for the rental; not sure about Budget.
Interesting suggestion, but I totally hate the idea of driving that route myself. Perhaps if I were travelling with a willing and capable driver, that would be a good solution. (On the other hand, I have no problem at all with driving between my home in San Francisco to a long-term parking lot at SFO, but that's a relatively short, thoroughly familiar route, in my own car.)
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Having just had a view of the back up to the Holland Tunnel last Saturday through Monday from my hotel room, the thought of driving to EWR would cause, if not just heartburn, some little vomit reflex, too. It was even quite bad on Sunday night about midnight.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More info about Avis' $19.99 one-way deal here:

https://www.avis.com/en/offers/us-of...p-s15-carsales

Note that this deal includes both gas and LDW, and is available between a number of different cities and their respective airports. Even minivans are included in the offer.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
More info about Avis' $19.99 one-way deal here:

https://www.avis.com/en/offers/us-of...p-s15-carsales

Note that this deal includes both gas and LDW, and is available between a number of different cities and their respective airports. Even minivans are included in the offer.
That is quite a good deal (and seeing the day/time restrictions, it is clear why they offer it), but adding an hour + to the trip (getting to rental location, rental transaction, drop off and then transfer from drop off spot to terminal) isn't going to be worth it for many.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

Coach USA might have been delayed that day since one of their drivers ran over and killed a cyclist that same morning.

http://gothamist.com/2017/06/15/citi...eo_hanegby.php
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
That is quite a good deal (and seeing the day/time restrictions, it is clear why they offer it), but adding an hour + to the trip (getting to rental location, rental transaction, drop off and then transfer from drop off spot to terminal) isn't going to be worth it for many.
I think I would normally agree for NYC, but a few of the other cities it seems like it isn't too bad. $20 for a car to go downtown DC to Dulles, or maybe Hyatt Embarcadero to SFO might work well for a family.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Coach USA might have been delayed that day since one of their drivers ran over and killed a cyclist that same morning.

http://gothamist.com/2017/06/15/citi...eo_hanegby.php
Wow, that's a really heart-rending story.

I'm not clear whether the bus described is the Newark Airport Express bus (CoachUSA/Olympia Trails), though. (Perhaps you saw/heard other news reports that identified it as such?)
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I can confirm that the bus can be problematic from the PABT (Port Authority Bus Terminal/Times Square) stop, based on just ONE rather miserable experience...

...they definitely have operational problems (i.e., by filling the buses on the earlier stops, they are royally screwing over the PABT passengers).
With great respect, I don't think it's possible to "confirm" that the whole line has operational problems based on your ONE experience. That's one day, one data point. That is like saying that because one Southwest airplane overshot the runway one time, I can "confirm" that Southwest is dangerous.

As counterdata, I can submit (while confirming nothing) that I've ridden that bus back and forth perhaps 18-20 times in the past five years, at all hours of the day and evening, and never had difficulty getting a seat leaving from PABT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.