Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA Q70 service (or lack of) on 5/21 7 pm

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by nrr
Several posts note the MTA APP, is having an iPhone, ipad etc. a requirement for traveling on MTA. If I were waiting at 74th street and just missed the 2nd Q70, I might (reasonably) assume another bus would come in 10-20 minute, but after 30 minutes I would get concerned: will I get to LGA in time to catch my flight?
It's not a requirement, but I would bet that upwards of 95% of adults flying through LGA have a smartphone.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nrr
Several posts note the MTA APP, is having an iPhone, ipad etc. a requirement for traveling on MTA. If I were waiting at 74th street and just missed the 2nd Q70, I might (reasonably) assume another bus would come in 10-20 minute, but after 30 minutes I would get concerned: will I get to LGA in time to catch my flight?
Unfortunately, assumptions about bus time frames are unreliable because of LGA construction and BQE traffic. Any backup from either is possible.

While I don't know if the MTA app is for iPhone/iPad only, their mobile bus website is for any smart phone. http://bustime.mta.info/

I also use NYC bus checker app which is available for iPhones and Android phones.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
Actually, you only need a phone that is capable of sending and receiving texts to get real-time bus departure information:

http://bustime.mta.info/wiki/Help/SMSSearching
Old May 26, 2017, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Analise
Unfortunately, assumptions about bus time frames are unreliable because of LGA construction and BQE traffic.
Assumptions about bus timeframes are unreliable irrespective of the circumstances -- even without the construction and highway delays. The OP is insisting on clinging to an absurd argument. IMHO of course.

The subway is no different. And although here too underinvestment by the MTA (or the state or the city or whomever you want to blame) contributes, they hardly can be blamed for all of it. I ride the G train regularly. The G train runs with less frequency than most other lines (that is the MTA's fault), so if you miss one, you usually can count on a 10-minute wait for the next. But there are times where one comes right after the other. And that's usually because during rush hour, the trains have to wait significantly longer in the station for passengers to disembark and board, causing delays and allowing the trains that follow to catch up to those ahead. Certainly this situation can be alleviated by running trains at greater frequency, but nonetheless this phenomenon will never ever be eliminated. I guess if the OP wants to spend 30 minutes counting G trains at the Metropolitan Avenue station in Brooklyn and comparing his observations to the published schedule, he can start another thread about the MTA's unreliability.
Old May 26, 2017, 11:31 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was waiting for a Q48, since I just missed one, I had 30 minutes to kill (Q48s run 2 per hour on Sunday). As I noted in #1 , M60s were running with greater frequency than Q70s and looking at Q70's schedule made me curious as to why--hence I started this tread to get input from this forums knowledgeable regulars.
Re starting a thread about poor MTA performance, I believe Gov. Cuomo has just fired "the first shot" in that direction, his "forum" is louder than FTs.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by nrr
Re starting a thread about poor MTA performance, I believe Gov. Cuomo has just fired "the first shot" in that direction, his "forum" is louder than FTs.
Every single person who resides in NYC is well aware of the problems with the MTA. And although they need to do better -- much better -- if you think about what they do accomplish it's remarkable. Their job is hard enough without having to deal with criticism that two buses arrived instead of three in some random (approximate) 30-minute period.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: HH Silver
One quick question about the Q70 route: when I buy my bus ticket at LGA to get me to the R train at Jackson Heights do I need to buy a separate subway ticket to take me into Manhattan?

Also are there Metrocards I can buy at LGA?
Old May 27, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
One quick question about the Q70 route: when I buy my bus ticket at LGA to get me to the R train at Jackson Heights do I need to buy a separate subway ticket to take me into Manhattan?

Also are there Metrocards I can buy at LGA?
If you purchase your Q70 SBS bus ticket with cash, you will need to pay a separate fare to board the subway. If you use a pay-per-ride Metrocard to purchase your Q70 SBS bus ticket, then there will be a free transfer to the subway loaded onto your Metrocard.

Metrocard vending machines are located just inside the LGA Central Terminal from the public bus stop. Not sure if there are vending machines at the Delta Terminal. A $1.00 new-card fee applies to all Metrocards purchased from the vending machine. You might be able to purchase a pre-valued Metrocard from one of the Hudson News kiosks in the terminals; those Metrocards are exempt from the $1.00 new-card fee.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by guv1976
Metrocard vending machines are located just inside the LGA Central Terminal from the public bus stop. Not sure if there are vending machines at the Delta Terminal.
AFAIK there is not one at the MAT. So if you are arriving on DL from DCA or ORD, you need to have a Metrocard on you.
Old May 30, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BearX220
AFAIK there is not one at the MAT. So if you are arriving on DL from DCA or ORD, you need to have a Metrocard on you.
No Metrocard retailers at the MAT?
Old May 31, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
No Metrocard retailers at the MAT?
Unless the airside coffee counter or store in that long upward hallway between security and the gates sell them, then I don't think so.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Metrocard vending machines are located just inside the LGA Central Terminal from the public bus stop. Not sure if there are vending machines at the Delta Terminal.
Actually I'm happy to report there are two Metrocard vending machines in Terminal D as I was flying in on WestJet and it shares this terminal with DL. Really handy to grab an unlimited 7-day pass and hop on the Q70 to Roosevelt/Jackson Heights. ^
Old Jun 15, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
A couple weeks late, but did the Hudson News in Marine stop selling Metrocards?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-terminal.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.