Help — quickest way from Airtrain station to T8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.

A friend has been delayed en route to JFK due to signaling problems and is arriving at JFK station at 902 PM. He's booked for the 1020 flight to LHR (with bags), and according to the route planner, the next airtrain leaves at 917 and gets him to T8 at 934. Can he catch a cab from the station and be at T8 sooner?

Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
A friend has been delayed en route to JFK due to signaling problems and is arriving at JFK station at 902 PM. He's booked for the 1020 flight to LHR (with bags), and according to the route planner, the next airtrain leaves at 917 and gets him to T8 at 934. Can he catch a cab from the station and be at T8 sooner?

Thanks!
Problem is T8 is the last stop .... what station is he arriving at? Not sure what you mean by JFK station? Is he arriving at Jamaica or Sutphin? If at either, he should be able to get a cab to T8
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
You can take the air train to T1 and usually across the platform is a train that only goes to terminals in reverse direction, so next stop is T8, but I do not know if it is running at this hour.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
As this does not pertain to AA or the AAdvantage program, we will move this over to the NYC forum. Thanks. /JY1024, AA forum co-moderator
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by danohio
You can take the air train to T1 and usually across the platform is a train that only goes to terminals in reverse direction, so next stop is T8, but I do not know if it is running at this hour.
I do this all the time when coming from HB and heading to T8 or T7. However make sure that in fact the Terminal only train is running, missed my cut-off time once when I jumped off only to see the screens saying No service and use the other side
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by craz
I do this all the time when coming from HB and heading to T8 or T7. However make sure that in fact the Terminal only train is running, missed my cut-off time once when I jumped off only to see the screens saying No service and use the other side
That's happened to me before too. Now as we pull into the station at T1, I look at the signage across the platform before leaving the AirTrain to cross the platform.

The OP's friend has either made or missed his flight by now. But for future reference one usually can just walk outside the AirTrain station and find transportation. Not always taxis, but neighborhood black car services at a minimum.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Blumie
The OP's friend has either made or missed his flight by now. But for future reference one usually can just walk outside the AirTrain station and find transportation. Not always taxis, but neighborhood black car services at a minimum.
Yes, though at Jamaica you then get to gamble on what the last couple miles of the Van Wyck will be like into JFK. Some days that is not a winning proposition.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, though at Jamaica you then get to gamble on what the last couple miles of the Van Wyck will be like into JFK. Some days that is not a winning proposition.
Definitely. But at a 9pm on Sunday, when the next AirTrain is supposedly not for 15 minutes, and you're going to Terminal 8 (and at that time the inner loop may well not be operating), it's probably the faster option.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by craz
+1 happened to me once, no service.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Apologies for not thanking you earlier, but I couldn't find my thread! There was a replacement bus service, so my friend was offered a BP but no bag check, so he had to rebook for the day flight (which had a hairy story as the captain announced he was unable to fly and left, but this is no longer the AA forum so that's another story).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.