Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

EWR to JFK fastest transfer method

Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

I have a flight which requires I transfer from Newark (EWR) to JFK and I have only 4 hours from arrival to international departure at JFK on a Thursday afternoon 3pm to 7pm.

What is the fastest method to transit between the airports? With this short time I am more concerned more with speed than cost.

I am thinking taxi would be best for this schedule but the risk is rush hour traffic.

The other option is New Jersey train and transfer to New York subway. I have used the public transport to both airports in the past so I am familiar with how to navigate through public transport.

A third option is shared shuttles, but I think I have to rule that out since most go first to LaGuarida and then to JFK, and I am concerned that would take too much time. Plus there is the risk that they might not depart immediately (once an hour) and I might not be able to wait an hour.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is really tight and possibly not doable depending on the carrier on which you are departing (and its check-in requirements). Other factors include: checked luggage? Check-in required at JFK? Pre-Check?

My recommendation is to book a car service so that you know that you have a car and don't have to waste any time at all. Don't have the driver meet you at baggage claim, but have him ready to pull in ASAP as you walk out (hopefully without checked luggage).

I take it that you have looked at the relative costs of routings which include a transfer at JFK or even LGA?
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would take NJ Transit to Penn Station and hop on the LIRR to Jamaica station. Assuming you buy your tickets electronically ahead of time, I think this should be pretty doable.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would take NJ Transit to Penn Station and hop on the LIRR to Jamaica station. Assuming you buy your tickets electronically ahead of time, I think this should be pretty doable.
I second this option. It's the most sure and as well as cheapest. NJ Transit will run you abou $12 from EWR to NY Penn Station (50 min) Then hop on the Long Island Rail Road (20 min) I think cost is around $10 or so to Jamaica Station. From there you'll need a $5 metro card for about 25 more minutes of ride. So total is about 100 minutes not including time waiting for trains.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would change your itinerary to connect at JFK directly.

If you don't have TSA Precheck, you should arrive at JFK 3 hours before a scheduled int'l flight. If your flight arrives at EWR at 3pm, even with public transportation which is the fastest means outside of a helicopter, you won't arrive by 4pm. Check out Google Maps and see how long it will take.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - It would be helpful if you would provide the following specific information:

What is your specific itinerary? Carriers, origin, destination, class of service, checked luggage, pre-check (or access to any expedited screening at JFK). Will you have BP's? Do you have any travel document issues, e.g. visa issues?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JohnFinTx
I have a flight which requires I transfer from Newark (EWR) to JFK and I have only 4 hours from arrival to international departure at JFK on a Thursday afternoon 3pm to 7pm.

What is the fastest method to transit between the airports? With this short time I am more concerned more with speed than cost.

I am thinking taxi would be best for this schedule but the risk is rush hour traffic.

The other option is New Jersey train and transfer to New York subway. I have used the public transport to both airports in the past so I am familiar with how to navigate through public transport.

A third option is shared shuttles, but I think I have to rule that out since most go first to LaGuarida and then to JFK, and I am concerned that would take too much time. Plus there is the risk that they might not depart immediately (once an hour) and I might not be able to wait an hour.
this thread may be helpful
JFK-EWR / EWR-JFK transit / connections (consolidated)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
JFK arrival at 4:30 - 5:00, if you're lucky. Even if you cross into Brooklyn from Staten Island at 4:00, you'll hit eastbound traffic at that hour.

If you're departing with a seat upfront, vs economy, your biggest issue will be the security line at Kennedy. If your seat is in coach, try to fly out of your home airport earlier, as was suggested above.

Welcome to Flyertalk JohnFinTx.

dh
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I called and switched to an earlier flight so I now have approx 7 hours for the transfer. This hopefully reduce risk of delays and will give enough time to take the NJ transit train + LIRR as suggested above.

This cost the change fee plus $0.40 difference in fare. I am arriving United (economy) at EWR and departing Turkish Airlines (business) at JFK with precheck and checked luggage.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Public Transportation is guarantee whereas taxi can range but getting to Staten Island from NJ can be too unpredictable.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by JohnFinTx
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I called and switched to an earlier flight so I now have approx 7 hours for the transfer. This hopefully reduce risk of delays and will give enough time to take the NJ transit train + LIRR as suggested above.
I'm glad you made the change. ^
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
This is really tight and possibly not doable depending on the carrier on which you are departing (and its check-in requirements). Other factors include: checked luggage? Check-in required at JFK? Pre-Check?
Not horribly tight, definitely viable.

Originally Posted by Often1
My recommendation is to book a car service
Mass transit is your friend at that time of day. Spending $100+ on a car to take nearly the same amount of time to cross over is not a great plan.

Figure on 2 hours to make the transit. That leaves at least an hour for things to go wrong and still give a buffer.
Originally Posted by Analise
If you don't have TSA Precheck, you should arrive at JFK 3 hours before a scheduled int'l flight.
This is an excessively conservative statement for the vast majority of passengers.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
This is an excessively conservative statement for the vast majority of passengers.
It's from my experience of nearly missing a flight when I arrived 2 1/2 hours early. It's also what airlines like Delta recommend that I no longer take for granted.

SECURITY CHECK-IN REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL TO/FROM NON-U.S. CITIES

The recommended arrival time at the airport prior to departure of international flights is 3 hours.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...uirements.html
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
It's from my experience of nearly missing a flight when I arrived 2 1/2 hours early. It's also what airlines like Delta recommend that I no longer take for granted.
How did you almost miss the flight? I hate to cut it close, and like to have time to relax in the lounge before boarding, but I would never show up three hours before a flight. That said, if I had to check baggage and did not have TSA pre check, I could see showing up two to two-and-a-half hours early.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:40 pm

It's from my experience of nearly missing a flight when I arrived 2 1/2 hours early.
What happened in the intervening two hours?

And, yes, the airlines suggest that and have for years. I'm willing to wager a large amount of money that most pax arrive inside that window and also do not miss their flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.