Wiki Posts
Search

Flying in INTL w. a connection - mailing things at 1st airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Gold
Question Flying in INTL w. a connection - mailing things at 1st airport

Will fly in from Germany with checked luggage on my way to YUL, will likely arrive into EWR. I have some mail that needs to be sent from the US (need a post office, not just a mail box. I understand that there's no post office at EWR).

Provided I leave myself several hours between the two flights, what is the best way to be able to leave airport to go into Newark, get this done and return (I have taken the local bus to/from many times) ?
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Freebird
Will fly in from Germany with checked luggage on my way to YUL, will likely arrive into EWR. I have some mail that needs to be sent from the US (need a post office, not just a mail box. I understand that there's no post office at EWR).

Provided I leave myself several hours between the two flights, what is the best way to be able to leave airport to go into Newark, get this done and return (I have taken the local bus to/from many times) ?
Have you looked into Print at Home postage? If you have something larger than just a letter but not over certain specs, you can print your own postage and drop the item into a mailbox.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
There is a U.S. Post Office very close to the airport at 514 Frelinghuysen Ave. in Newark, which is easily reached by either the 37 bus or the 107 bus.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP Gold
Thank you, CDTraveler, will look at Print At Home Postage. I hope that can be used by non-residents as well.

Blumie, the question was not where to find a post office but how to handle the logistics of re-checking luggage and leaving the airport to get this done.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Freebird
Blumie, the question was not where to find a post office but how to handle the logistics of re-checking luggage and leaving the airport to get this done.
Because you'll be arriving from Germany, you'll clear immigration and customs and then be deposited landslide. You then can recheck your luggage right outside of the customs hall and go to the post office. When you return to EWR you'll clear security just like all other passengers.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:18 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Moving the thread to the NYC forum.

NewbieRunner, Senior Moderator
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Have you looked into Print at Home postage? If you have something larger than just a letter but not over certain specs, you can print your own postage and drop the item into a mailbox.
Those specs are incredibly limiting. Anything over 13 ounces must be presented at a post office, not in a drop box.

Logistics would be:
Clear Immigration
Claim bags
Clear Customs
Re-check bags, keeping whatever you want to mail separate
Car/bus/whatever to post office
Car/bus/whatever back to airport
Clear security
Fly on.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Those specs are incredibly limiting. Anything over 13 ounces must be presented at a post office, not in a drop box.

Logistics would be:
Clear Immigration
Claim bags
Clear Customs
Re-check bags, keeping whatever you want to mail separate
Car/bus/whatever to post office
Car/bus/whatever back to airport
Clear security
Fly on.
It appears that the 13-ounce rule does not apply to postage printed at home:

http://blog.stamps.com/2011/03/15/us...nce-mail-rule/
Old Jan 20, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.