Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post marathon meal meeting help

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Post marathon meal meeting help

Hi, my wife is running in this year's NYC marathon and I'd like to host a post marathon lunch or drinks apps etc. The marathon finishes in central park so it would be helpful to be close to there, if possible. Really looking for something causal that can easily accommodate around 8 people. Any ideas for such a place? Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
The finish line seems to be near the south-west corner of CP. I imagine after you'll want the use of a shower to refresh so I'd look more for a location that is near to your hotel/rental. I know several people who ran and we met about 45 minutes after they crossed the line giving time for shower, hydration & travel.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
The marathon finishes at W. 67th St. but in order to avoid congestion at the finish line runners must walk up to W. 77th St. before they can exit the park. My strong recommendation is to pick a place to meet your wife on Columbus Avenue (maybe the Starbucks at 76th and Columbus) as trying to find her among the runners exiting the park will be extraordinarily difficult. (In fact, this map suggests that you won't be able to go east of Columbus Ave. in any event.) Also be sure to bring warm clothing for her to change into; it can be quite shocking to the body as it starts to normalize and begins to realize that the ambient temperature is actually quite cold! And then consider whether your wife is going to want to eat dinner right then (highly unlikely in my experience, and of course it's not going to be dinner time!), or clean up and relax before eating. Finally, figure out your transportation options. Subway usually is best, as the roads will be messed up because of the marathon, even on routes not directly affected.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
You didn't mention if this is your wife first marathon or first NYC marathon?

As a runner, resident and NYC marathoner - I might suggest unless she is an expert or above average runner or has experience you follow this advice:
  • Bring snacks and favorite items while waiting for her and provide when she finishes.
  • Recognize your wife just completed 26 grueling miles or 42 km (bridges, hills, wind) and waited in Staten Island for a few hours at the start so maybe not the most excited person upon finishing. It may seem supportive to have friends and family at finish line but don't force her to mandatory reservation as she may want to celebrate or may wish to crash in a bathtub - won't know until day of event what her motivation.
  • AS other have stated the marathon ends in the 60s but runners don't exit the part until the 77th or later. All venues near the exit will be crowded so again be considerate as don't know her exact finish time nor want her walking even further as finding a cab will be an exercise within itself.
  • Finally, gauge with your wife after a training run whether she wants to go eat dinner or lunch in public without changing or shower. IF not, don't do it after a marathon.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:25 pm

UWS is unfortunately one of the most disappointing food neighborhoods in NYC. That being said, I recommend the below three in order:

http://www.parmnyc.com/location/upper-west-side/

http://thesmithrestaurant.com/location/lincoln-square/

http://pjclarkes.com/location/lincoln-square/
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCRachel
UWS is unfortunately one of the most disappointing food neighborhoods in NYC. That being said, I recommend the below three in order:

http://www.parmnyc.com/location/upper-west-side/

http://thesmithrestaurant.com/location/lincoln-square/

http://pjclarkes.com/location/lincoln-square/
I ate at Parm for the first tin recently and really disliked it.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:13 pm

Unless she's a professional, she will not be meeting you for lunch as the start times push most finishers (as others have observed, you didn't mention her projected finish time) well into the afternoon for a finish time.

See, http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/race-day/the-start for start times of each group and wave. I've done the marathon about 10x - most recently in 2014 and don't remember seeing my wave start information until I actually picked up my race number.

Also keep in mind that Sat 5 Nov into Sun 6 Nov (Marathon Sunday) is daylight savings. The clocks "fall back" 1 hr. So, she'll be getting 1 hr less of sleep the night before the marathon.

Ditto re: wanting a bath/shower before doing anything. You're out there for a LONG time on Sunday. After the high of finishing wears off, you feel a little yucky and just want a shower/bath.

Another restaurant suggestion
http://www.carminesnyc.com/locations...west-side-nyc/
Likely the whole world will be trying to go there on Marathon Sunday. But, worth a shot.

Edited to Add Text Below
Another thing you might consider doing is meeting on the EAST side of town. I used to live on the east side (upper 70s). At the end of the race, when we were FINALLY allowed out of the finish chutes and had collected our checked-at-the-start bags, I just walked east across the park and met my friends and family on the east side (they had watched the race/cheered on 1st Avenue and just hung out there until I met them at a bar and tried to catch up drinks wise). That's a hike, esp. if she's wrecked at the end of the race. But, still, an option. Don't know how much she / you know about town so its a little hard.

Last edited by jsnydcsa; Oct 5, 2016 at 2:17 pm Reason: Re: East Side Option
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by jsnydcsa
Also keep in mind that Sat 5 Nov into Sun 6 Nov (Marathon Sunday) is daylight savings. The clocks "fall back" 1 hr. So, she'll be getting 1 hr less of sleep the night before the marathon.
I know it's a common misconception, but you actually get 1h hour more sleep.

Old Oct 10, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by nerd
I know it's a common misconception, but you actually get 1h hour more sleep.

Yup, just think "fall back...into bed."
Old Oct 10, 2016, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. After reviewing the responses and asking my wife what shes prefers, she thinks she'll probably just want to meet up for a beer at a bar that's not too far or close to the hotel. The problem I have now is booking a hotel I have the hotel indigo in Chelsea on hold (wife's sister lives in Chelsea) but I'm looking for something closer to midtown or closer to the finish line. Any suggestions for something around $250-$300/night?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by domers
Thanks everyone for the helpful responses. After reviewing the responses and asking my wife what shes prefers, she thinks she'll probably just want to meet up for a beer at a bar that's not too far or close to the hotel. The problem I have now is booking a hotel I have the hotel indigo in Chelsea on hold (wife's sister lives in Chelsea) but I'm looking for something closer to midtown or closer to the finish line. Any suggestions for something around $250-$300/night?
NYC is smaller than you think. That's a fine hotel in a decent location. I'd stick with it, especially if you have a sub $300 rate on hold.

How does your wife plan to get to the hotel after the marathon? Best plan probably is to arrange a meeting place (I suggest the Starbucks I recommend up thread) and then help her on the subway. Bring warm clothing for her to put on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.