Wiki Posts
Search

A weekend in the Hamptons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 4:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

A weekend in the Hamptons

Hey folks, is there anything worthwhile doing in the Hamptons? My girlfriend thought it would be cool to a spend a weekend there.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by TMM1982
Hey folks, is there anything worthwhile doing in the Hamptons? My girlfriend thought it would be cool to a spend a weekend there.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/26/fa...-hamptons.html
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Unless you know people who are going to be in the Hamptons, I wouldn't bother. It's expensive, crowded, and hard to get to, and there's not a huge amount there. Better beaches, better food, etc. are available without the hassle and cost.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Unless you know people who are going to be in the Hamptons, I wouldn't bother. It's expensive, crowded, and hard to get to, and there's not a huge amount there. Better beaches, better food, etc. are available without the hassle and cost.
Any other fun areas outside of NYC?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:03 am

Depends on what you're looking for. If you want natural beauty, some good restaurants, etc., I'd head up the Hudson Valley to places like Garrison and Cold Spring, or even farther up.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:07 am

Really depends on what you would want to do. I would agree that if you don't have friends out there or friends joining you it may not be worth it. Keep in mind that if you are talking about this summer, basically every good hotel (Topping Rose House, Gurney's, Maidstone, Surf Lodge, Ruschmeyer's, Sole East, Montauk Yacht Club, etc. etc.) will have already been booked solid (at least on weekends) for the entire summer many months ago. If you could find a room somewhere, expect to pay on the order of $700++ per night for a basic room and probably have a three-night minimum. if you want to go during the week then you will have more (and more affordable) options, and it won't be nearly as crowded. Where would you be coming from?
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Depends on what you're looking for. If you want natural beauty, some good restaurants, etc., I'd head up the Hudson Valley to places like Garrison and Cold Spring, or even farther up.
Beacon is also nice, and Storm King Art Center is definitely worth a visit. Another good day trip from the city is the Philip Johnson Glass House in New Canaan if you are into art/architecture.

You could also look into North Fork and/or Shelter Island.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
Really depends on what you would want to do. I would agree that if you don't have friends out there or friends joining you it may not be worth it. Keep in mind that if you are talking about this summer, basically every good hotel (Topping Rose House, Gurney's, Maidstone, Surf Lodge, Ruschmeyer's, Sole East, Montauk Yacht Club, etc. etc.) will have already been booked solid (at least on weekends) for the entire summer many months ago. If you could find a room somewhere, expect to pay on the order of $700++ per night for a basic room and probably have a three-night minimum. if you want to go during the week then you will have more (and more affordable) options, and it won't be nearly as crowded. Where would you be coming from?
Chicago, but I guess as you say, everything will be booked. I could check b&bs maybe.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:23 pm

I'd look into Airbnb/VRBO.

Hamptons are good, but scene-y. I go there often because I have family out there. Restaurants are not great and overpriced, but there are a few gems. It's more a place to go if you have a nice house, grill (lots of great farms to shop at) and bum at the beach, unless you're into spending a lot of money clubbing. The ocean won't be warm enough to swim until August (even then, it's pretty cold).

I went to Asbury Park two weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. Easy drive, cute shops, great restaurants (shoutout to Tallulah's), nice beach. Wasn't trashy Jersey Shore.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hudson River Valley maybe?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
A lot of people will book their 2017 plans while they are there in 2016. So many accommodations are long gone well before the season.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
A lot of people will book their 2017 plans while they are there in 2016. So many accommodations are long gone well before the season.
Must be pretty awesome if people are booking a year in advance
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This also happens in Manhattan - wealthy families from other US cities come into the city every year for shopping, Broadway, etc in the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:04 am

Those people are coming out from NYC. If they're into the social scene, I can understand why someone would come out from NYC, even given the logistical hassles.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
If you want to have a similar experience that's more user friendly, I would look into Montauk and Fire Island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.