Search

Has anyone been to Eleven Madison Park?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:52 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Has anyone been to Eleven Madison Park?

Has anyone been to Eleven Madison Park? Is it worth the $300pp price tag for a 7-9 course meal?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was there two months ago.
It was a fantastic experience, for a special occasion, and I'm glad I did it.

But I don't have to eat packaged ramen for the next month because I did. So "worth" is a very personal question, just as it is with paying for first class. Perhaps if you would share your tax returns and brokerage statements we could provide a more comprehensive answer.

That said, I don't know if I need to rush back. There are other $200pp+ restaurants I want to try, and even though I didn't have to resort to Ramen, I wouldn't want to be doing that more than a couple of times per year.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:58 am

I went back when it was the longer New York themed menu (a couple years ago). I thought it was fantastic (for a special occasion), but value is obviously totally subjective here. I think our bill was $850 for two after tax, drinks and tip (this was before they switched to service being included in the price).

If the price doesn't make you flinch I say go for it; it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience if you are very into food. However, you can have just as fantastic a meal and experience at Del Posto, Marea, Daniel, Blue Hill, or many other places for half the price.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:10 pm

Have been many, many times.

Absolutely special place, with food as beautiful and captivating as the dining room.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 5:41 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Do you get to take your time with your dinner, or do they do X number of seatings per night and will hurry you out if you're suspected of going over time?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Do you get to take your time with your dinner, or do they do X number of seatings per night and will hurry you out if you're suspected of going over time?
per the Pete Wells review, the restaurant advises reservation holders that the menu "takes 3 1/2
hours, so please plan your day accordingly". Since their hours are 5:30 to 10:00, it seems that the table should be yours for the evening.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by TOMFORD
They won't hurry you, and they space the courses out perfectly - the service deserves the three Michelin stars. They are pros. I also bet that if the first couple courses come out fast and you want to slow it down, just ask them and they will gladly oblige. I think our dinner was a leisurely three hours or so. There are also many mini-courses between the main ones, which keeps everything at the right pace, and at the end (unless it has changed) they bring you a full bottle of brandy that you can sip from for as long as you want.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 10:15 am

Agreed. It's much more European in dining sensibilities than most other US fine dining spots.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
per the Pete Wells review, the restaurant advises reservation holders that the menu "takes 3 1/2
hours, so please plan your day accordingly". Since their hours are 5:30 to 10:00, it seems that the table should be yours for the evening.
That was the old ~15-course menu. They switched to a 7-9 course menu at the beginning of this year. I think it should be 2.5-3 hours, can't remember exactly how long ours took. Definitely paced perfectly. I would think they can/do turn the tables for some of the early reservations (e.g., 5-6pm). We ate at 5:30. Definitely didn't feel rushed.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
If the price doesn't make you flinch I say go for it; it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience if you are very into food. However, you can have just as fantastic a meal and experience at Del Posto, Marea, Daniel, Blue Hill, or many other places for half the price.
Eh, when you factor in that service isn't included at those others (I believe), and if you were to choose the tasting menu, the prices aren't *all* that different.
In fact, Daniel's 7-course tasting is $234, with tax and 20% (pretax) tip, it comes out slightly more than EMP. Le Bernardin can be a bit less, at $180/$215 which gross up to $230/$280. But certainly, you can still experience those chefs' cooking for quite a bit less with the typical 4-course menu.

Also keep in mind that the EMP menu includes foie gras, lobster, and caviar, for no additional supplement.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:17 pm

There are so many high-caliber tasting menus restaurants these days in NYC, beyond the Michelin 3-star places. EMP is a classic choice though.

The question, regarding spending that much money, is really about what kind of experience/food you want. Classic (EMP)? French (Daniel, Jean Georges)? Fish (Le Bernardin, Marea)? More hip (Ko, Brooklyn Fare, Blanca)? Veg-based (Semilla)? Mexican (Chef's Table at Empellon)? Sushi (Nakazawa, Shuko)?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
They stagger the reservations so you might have a 5:30 reservation and the next reservation is at 9 or 9:30. Each table gets two turns a night. We personally had service issues there that involved being spilled on and then a glass breaking and shattering at the table. We live in the city and have done many of the fine dining experiences and are not rushing back there.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by ijgordon
That was the old ~15-course menu. They switched to a 7-9 course menu at the beginning of this year. I think it should be 2.5-3 hours, can't remember exactly how long ours took. Definitely paced perfectly. I would think they can/do turn the tables for some of the early reservations (e.g., 5-6pm). We ate at 5:30. Definitely didn't feel rushed.
Wells' second review was in March 2015. Another Times critic, Jeff Gardiner, reported on the change earlier this year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/di...menu.html?_r=0
Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Eh, when you factor in that service isn't included at those others (I believe), and if you were to choose the tasting menu, the prices aren't *all* that different.
In fact, Daniel's 7-course tasting is $234, with tax and 20% (pretax) tip, it comes out slightly more than EMP. Le Bernardin can be a bit less, at $180/$215 which gross up to $230/$280. But certainly, you can still experience those chefs' cooking for quite a bit less with the typical 4-course menu.

Also keep in mind that the EMP menu includes foie gras, lobster, and caviar, for no additional supplement.
That's fair - I had in mind the shorter menus ($125 3-course at Daniel, $99 4-course at Marea, etc.). I rarely do the full blow-out tasting menus, which I think are often overkill (but certainly worthwhile for a special occasion).
Old Apr 8, 2017, 2:36 pm

Great experience. If you do not want to eat there, try the bar. Very nice drinks and could see the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.