Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Parking suggestion outside NYC

Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat

We will be arriving into BOS airport and would like to go to New York for about 4 days during the holiday. We will be renting a car from BOS and return to BOS as well and we would like to stay near Time Square. Had a look at some of the hotels and charges around $60 per day for parking.

We are thinking of leaving the car outside the city & take a taxi/uber with our luggage to our hotel. What would be the most cost effective way (place) to leave our rental car? i.e. cheapest return uber trip + 4 day parking
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You could take the train Boston to NYC ~ 3:45.
With security checks/delay at USA airports, time before the flight and cost/time from the airport to Times Square this may be quicker (and cheaper)
https://www.amtrak.com/skip-the-bus-...-train-instead
https://www.amtrak.com/acela-express-train
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ausriver
We will be arriving into BOS airport and would like to go to New York for about 4 days during the holiday. We will be renting a car from BOS and return to BOS as well and we would like to stay near Time Square. Had a look at some of the hotels and charges around $60 per day for parking.
Times Square

We are thinking of leaving the car outside the city & take a taxi/uber with our luggage to our hotel. What would be the most cost effective way (place) to leave our rental car? i.e. cheapest return uber trip + 4 day parking
A car is a complete waste of money and energy. Take Amtrak as was advised above. For cheaper public transportation to/from NYC, there is Bolt Bus or Megabus.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
There is no earthly reason to involve a rental car in your NY trip. It will cost too much to rent as well as park, and you won't be using it for most of the rental term -- you'll be worrying about whether it's getting vandalized in some suburban garage.

For this trip I am a big believer in the bus services -- Megabus, Bolt Bus, Peter Pan, or Greyhound. Clean, frequent, comfortable. Have sometimes scored the $1.00 advance purchase one-way tickets on Greyhound / Peter Pan which is amazing. You can take Amtrak easily enough but it will take roughly the same time and cost 2 to 4 times as much as a typical bus ticket.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I know that people who have responded are trying to help, but there could be a compelling reason why they want to drive down, such as one member of the traveling party having limited mobility, or that they are making stops on the way down to visit relatives in Connecticut, etc.

Absent a reason like that, I would join the chorus urging rail transport.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:16 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
You can use the bestparking website to find cheaper parking near to your hotel or further away in NYC for even cheaper than that, if you really want to have and keep a car with you
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

We will be in the US for about 10 days and we will be need the car to visit other places. I 100% understand that we do not need a car for NYC, that is the reason that I am asking, where is the best location to park the car for 4 days. Return the rental car 4 days earlier is actually more expansive as there will be a one way rental fee involved.

Parking near our hotel would not be a good option as all of the walking distance car parks are charging $50 plus per day. Are there anywhere we could safely leave our car and taxi to the city for around $30?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:04 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Again, did you try Bestparking?

http://nyc.bestparking.com/

You will find parking around $30/day this way a short subway ride from your hotel.

If you want $30 total for the 4 days, you're likely to have a long trek to your hotel.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:49 am

Drive the rental car to Stamford, CT, leave it in a parking garage, then take the train to NYC. We've done this many times from the Boston area, only with our own car, not a rental. When we were there in the spring, the garage right across the station was being renovated, but there was an alternate almost as close that worked fine.

We don't really use this method to save money, but I think the parking there is in the neighborhood of $8 a day. I can't remember the current train price from Stamford. Maybe $25-ish round trip.

(It's not important here, but the reason we prefer this: We were constantly going back and forth from our distant suburb of Boston to NYC a few years ago. Catching the Amtrak train from here was too time consuming. Tried it a few times. Also, we have relatives in CT, and we stop and visit them sometimes.)

Last edited by mareh; Jun 25, 2016 at 9:00 am
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:34 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mareh
Drive the rental car to Stamford, CT, leave it in a parking garage, then take the train to NYC. We've done this many times from the Boston area, only with our own car, not a rental. When we were there in the spring, the garage right across the station was being renovated, but there was an alternate almost as close that worked fine.

We don't really use this method to save money, but I think the parking there is in the neighborhood of $8 a day. I can't remember the current train price from Stamford. Maybe $25-ish round trip.

(It's not important here, but the reason we prefer this: We were constantly going back and forth from our distant suburb of Boston to NYC a few years ago. Catching the Amtrak train from here was too time consuming. Tried it a few times. Also, we have relatives in CT, and we stop and visit them sometimes.)
That would be my advice. Find a Metro North Train station with parking, and then simply take the train in. I can't speak to Metro North as I'm from the NJ side of things, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more suburban station have parking for around 5 dollars a day.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Just be sure that overnights are permitted. Some commuter lots or garages don't permit multiday parking.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Just be sure that overnights are permitted. Some commuter lots or garages don't permit multiday parking.
Most do not so I would look at ones that are also Amtrak Stations. I believe that Stamford is the closest. New Rochelle does not allow overnights.

There's always long term at JFK. Good transit connections.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:47 am

My husband and I have left our car in the Stamford garage for as long as 3 weeks.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

It seems that everyone is suggesting take the subway into NYC.... We have got quite a few luggage, would that be a problem?

Our original plan was to leave the car outside and take a Taxi (or Uber) to our hotel, would that plan work? or Parking + Return Uber Fee > parking in Manhattan?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
NYC Subways are not the same as the Metro North commuter trains that some are advocating. The latter have rows of seats and overhead luggage racks, more akin to Amtrak regional service. Those that ride the trains more frequently than I can advise on the logistics of travelling with large luggage items, but carry-on luggage should certainly fit on a commuter train.

Metro North trains terminate at Grand Central in Midtown Manhattan; it would then be up to you on how to get to Times Square. With luggage, I might Uber/Taxi it. Otherwise, the NYC Subway has a Shuttle line that's non-stop between Grand Central and Times Square but if you are travelling with large amounts of luggage, I'd suggest you stick to a car.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 26, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.