Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

EDI to JFK, then to YUL on AA, 1hr 50 min Connection - enough time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Hi,

I'm flying EDI to JFK on AA in J on Friday, but I'm now a bit concerned about missing my connection upto YUL which is 1hr and 50 minutes later.

Both flights are T8.

GB passport holder on an ESTA. Hand luggage only.

So, I'm guessing I need to clear customs and immigration and then what, do I need to clear security again to get to my gate for the YUL flight?

Looking for guidance here as I've never flown into or out of JFK before.

Thanks,Stephen.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, clear everything and then security. YUL will be at the farthest possible gate; allow 10 minutes to walk there after security. This is generally doable if you hustle and don't check bags. Look for people hawking orange envelopes marked "Express Connection" on your way off the arriving plane; if your connection is tight enough, they'll give you one and you can use it to access a somewhat shorter security line.
Old May 26, 2016, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Yes, clear everything and then security. YUL will be at the farthest possible gate; allow 10 minutes to walk there after security. This is generally doable if you hustle and don't check bags. Look for people hawking orange envelopes marked "Express Connection" on your way off the arriving plane; if your connection is tight enough, they'll give you one and you can use it to access a somewhat shorter security line.
Many thanks SJC AA. Don't worry I'll be hustling, I just hope my inbound flight to JFK is ontime (or early) and the lines to immigration and customs are short. I'll certainly ask the AA FA's about getting Orange envelope.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stephenjc
I'll certainly ask the AA FA's about getting Orange envelope.
They won't know much about it and don't decide if you get one. A rep will meet the flight wearing a purple vest; that's the person who handles it. At 1:50 you likely won't be considered a tight connection but if delayed you probably would.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just to confirm, your onward to YUL is on the same ticket (not just PNR, but ticket) as the inbound from EDI?
Old May 26, 2016, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
Just to confirm, your onward to YUL is on the same ticket (not just PNR, but ticket) as the inbound from EDI?
Doesn't matter as AA's policy is to protect pax inbound on OW tix connecting onward on AA flights, even if on separate tickets/reservations.
Old May 27, 2016, 5:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
JFK T8 doesn't very many flights between 12 noon and 3 pm; TSA condenses lanes (once Pre-check and priority access were shut), so even before the current "crisis", semi-long lines were the norm. [After 3:30 pm (TSA agents finished their siesta)], they open more lanes.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
JFK T8 doesn't very many flights between 12 noon and 3 pm; TSA condenses lanes (once Pre-check and priority access were shut), so even before the current "crisis", semi-long lines were the norm. [After 3:30 pm (TSA agents finished their siesta)], they open more lanes.
This may not be true anymore; Precheck was open yesterday (a Sunday) at 1pm. Short lines at Precheck and regular security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.