Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Refueling Rental in/near Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Refueling Rental in/near Manhattan

Driving a rental car from PHL to the city. Need to refuel prior to returning car on the UES.

I normally take the Lincoln Tunnel into the city but to the best of my recollection, there several gas stations just prior to entering the Holland Tunnel in NJ. Is this still the case?

I'd rather gas-up in NJ than deal with that "indoor" gas station on W. 96th or fight the cabbies at the station on E 96th and 1st.

TIA.

Tipsy
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger

I normally take the Lincoln Tunnel into the city but to the best of my recollection, there several gas stations just prior to entering the Holland Tunnel in NJ. Is this still the case?
Yes.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Yes.
Thanks.

Tipsy
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53
Yes.
And they're much cheaper than anything you'll find in NYC too (Jersey has cheap gas).
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually fill up on the Jersey Turnpike at the last service station heading north before the Lincoln tunnel. I think it's the Grover Cleveland rest stop after Exit 11. It's about 20 miles out, but the tank will still show full when you return the car.

But if heading in via the Holland Tunnel isn't out of the way, then that's a good option as well.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:16 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Gas in New Jersey is usually $0.30-$0.40/gal cheaper than NYC. On the short stretch right before the HT there are LOTS of gas stations.
Since NJ does not allow SELF SERVICE, at peak times at the TPKE rest areas, the lines can be long.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:20 am

If you have a smartphone, the GasBuddy app is your friend. But definitely fill up in NJ.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The stations near the Holland Tunnel are about .25 more than just about everywhere else.

Many people stop at them when either leaving or entering the city. Gas is far less expensive in NJ.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
If filling a big tank - your best options are as follows:
A - Drive towards the GWB Bridge and take Rt 46 East Exit from I95 and you will pass a few gas stations on Rt 46 before you arrive at the bridge after fill up take the Harlem River Drive. Probably easier vs. Holland tunnel unless you plan to stop in Manhattan as your final destination is UES.
B - (This option assumes you are paying with cash) Take Holland Tunnel - do NOT buy on the last stretch east bound before entering the tunnel. Instead, make a left at Home Depot to Marin Blvd (there is a small road middle of the street befroe the insection so pay attention), make another left at 14th Street and hug the right side of the road after turn. You can compare gas prices but the station across 7-11/Dunkin Donuts (sort of no frills and red sign) is probably your cheapest and maybe 25 p/gallon cheaper vs. what you will encounter driving East bound on 12th Street before entering tunnel. Exit station and make two lefts and back to Holland Tunnel.
C - Just buy on NJ Turnpike rest area - the prices are regulated so won't find much variation and allows credit card without surcharge (if I recall correctly).

Last edited by RooseveltL; May 1, 2016 at 6:57 am
Old May 1, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
+ 1 for gassing up in NJ.

If taking the Lincoln Tunnel, there is a Speedway / formerly Hess station at 612 Boulevard E, Weehawken, NJ 07086.
It's an easy off from I-495 and an easy return to the tunnel.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by themicah
If you have a smartphone, the GasBuddy app is your friend. But definitely fill up in NJ.
+1 on GasBuddy; it's a great tool and works all over the US.

My routes into the city from NJ have me on Route 4 for the GWB and Route 3 for the Lincoln. If I am really empty and time allows, I will try and fill up at a Costco and then top off in either Fort Lee (there's a nice cluster on Route 4 just before the toll plaza) or Secaucus on Route 3. I've never had a problem turning in my rental car after going straight in from either of those locations; the needle is always showing full.

Don't forget that all of the stations in NJ are full service.
Old May 3, 2016, 2:27 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
If filling a big tank - your best options are as follows:
A - Drive towards the GWB Bridge and take Rt 46 East Exit from I95 and you will pass a few gas stations on Rt 46 before you arrive at the bridge after fill up take the Harlem River Drive. Probably easier vs. Holland tunnel unless you plan to stop in Manhattan as your final destination is UES.
B - (This option assumes you are paying with cash) Take Holland Tunnel - do NOT buy on the last stretch east bound before entering the tunnel. Instead, make a left at Home Depot to Marin Blvd (there is a small road middle of the street befroe the insection so pay attention), make another left at 14th Street and hug the right side of the road after turn. You can compare gas prices but the station across 7-11/Dunkin Donuts (sort of no frills and red sign) is probably your cheapest and maybe 25 p/gallon cheaper vs. what you will encounter driving East bound on 12th Street before entering tunnel. Exit station and make two lefts and back to Holland Tunnel.
C - Just buy on NJ Turnpike rest area - the prices are regulated so won't find much variation and allows credit card without surcharge (if I recall correctly).
You're correct about the no credit surcharge at the Turnpike stations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.