Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

International layover at JFK?

International layover at JFK?

Old Feb 9, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Without the chip and previous visits under an ESTA he will not be able to use the kiosks. Since the trip is several months away it is possible to get a new passport (or a second one if the UK does such a thing) and then apply for Global Entry as that is a new possibility for UK citizens.
I suggest both of you get GE anyways to avoid possible immigration challenges. I'm assuming since you said he and your screen name is Dan that you're same sex partners which still has some challenges when it comes to US CBP. So you trying to take him through immigration in the US Citizen line is probably even worse of an idea with the current policies (some agents accept a couple on 1 form and reports have said other agents have rejected it).

Originally Posted by Dan1113
I have a US passport, and he has a British one. He's had ESTA before, but on an old British passport (that didn't have a chip - new one does). Would he still be able to use this?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Sorry if I was unclear: he has a chip in his current passport, and he has visited on a previous ESTA.-I meant that on his last visit with ESTA, it was an older passport without a chip (back in 2013). Didn't know if this would make any difference (as I figured these e-gates might be comparing to something on the chip back then).

So it sounds like we'll both be able to use these, which will be really handy - I am surprised that CBP doesn't require a face-to-face chat for non-GE people! What exactly is the difference between GE and these kiosks then, or are the kiosks more in-depth than the quick passport and eye/photo scan that the European ones do?

GE is not an option because apparently the interview can only be done in the US (or Canada/Qatar) - and we'll only be there next for this visit!

And yes, you are correct re being same-sex. We'll just go in separate queues I guess, and whoever gets through first can sort the customs progress. Will certainly be begging for assistance if things are looking tight!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
From CBP website: Instead of filling out a paper Customs declaration form, eligible passengers can proceed directly to the APC kiosks in the passport control area. Travelers are prompted to scan their passport, take a photograph using the kiosk, and answer a series of questions verifying biographic and flight information. Once passengers have completed the series of questions and submitted their Customs declaration form, a receipt will be issued. Travelers then bring their passport and receipt to a CBP Officer to finalize their inspection for entry into the United States. The kiosks allow people residing at the same address to be processed together.

So it differs from GE in that you still have to talk to a CBP official for immigration and also go through Customs (handing over the form is typically the most this involved) while GE members go to a kiosk and unless we get an X on our slip we are basically done. We get our bags and hand the slip over and are out the door. The CBP kiosks are an improvement in handling, in my opinion, but not nearly as convenient as GE.

I'd recommend also looking into GE for the future. For you two returning to/visiting the US in the future it will make things much easier and as a GE member you can also apply to the UK program which allows GE members to use the EU lines at airports in the UK. Maybe doing the interview on the return if you have time at ATL.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Ah, so this is just for customs then. "The kiosks allow people residing at the same address to be processed together." - so I guess for this at least, it's fine enough for us to fill out just one form on the kiosk?
Old Feb 9, 2016, 11:20 pm

To clarify, the kiosks don't replace the immigration officer they just make it so meeting with the officer can be super quick. The computer in the kiosk checks your identity and verifies other info.

After using the kiosk you still approach an officer who may ask a few questions. The officer, however, doesn't need to scan your passport or punch away at a computer like they usually do - human labor is reduced and lines are made shorter. More info here:
http://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizen...rt-control-apc

If your flight is on time you should have no issues. The kiosks have cut wait times across the board, not just for people using them, because the immigration hall is still staffed the same as before but the officers now have less work to do. I really wouldn't overthink this! If you're running late just have your husband use his British accent to charm the JFK employees.

Here's a link to an article on the success of the kiosks:
http://www.amny.com/transit/delays-a...osks-1.7295860
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:01 am
Original Poster

It's a Scottish accent so not sure how well that will charm - haha!

Thanks for the link. I guess since the link talks about people being processed who live together, we are fine to go up together, and from there go up to a CBP officer together, without fear of anyone getting huffy at the same sex thing, an American going up with a non-American, etc.?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:19 am

That is a good question about how the kiosks treat mixed foreign-US couples, not to mention same-sex couples. The link from CBP doesn't address either situation.

I'd say just make a game-time decision regarding whether to use the same kiosk. You could always just give it a try - either the computer will let you process together or it won't. My guess is that it will work given the large # of foreign-US couples that use JFK. And if not one of you can always step aside to another kiosk. Definitely Let us know what happens! I am curious.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Sooo....reporting back.

I wasn't sure where we 'merged' together to do the customs stuff together at the machine, so I just went down the US citizens line and him down the visitors line. This ended up splitting us completely, but it didn't really matter, I thought. When my husband got up to the counter, the agent sent somebody to get me (I was at one of the machines), as they wanted us to go through together - so I was processed with him at the visitors counter. There was literally not another passenger at all yet in the immigration area, so we were through it in about 2 seconds.

On the way back we went via Atlanta, and here the queues were HUGE. I asked the guy directing people to different lines if my husband could join me in the US citizens queue, and I was told yes (though from looking at the signs, it seems any returning ESTA person can use the US citizens line - and thus it wasn't a perk of being married to a US citizen? Surely not, as then nearly everyone, US and foreign, could use it?). Anyway, the machine was able to process us fine together, and we went up to the counter together without any issues. Nobody batted an eye either at the same-sex couple thing (I asked a couple other people while queueing to make sure he could be in the line with me, to not have to queue again when we finally got up to a machine.)

Also pleasantly surprised with ITI baggage transfers at ATL meaning we didn't have to pick up our suitcases. At JFK everyone had to fill out a paper customs form but on the ATL-bound flight, they said no US citizen or returning ESTA holder had to fill a paper one. So very different processes at both airports, it seems.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Glad it worked out for you and your husband, Dan, as far as no missed connection. You shouldn't share usernames/accounts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.