Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Journey time to JFK from Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by sggolf
I have a similar question what time to leave and best method of leaving Times Square to JFK to catch a Fri 8PM domestic flight. We were thinking of bringing a bigger suitcase rather than a roller board.

Happy to sit in airline lounge for a few hours before flight...

What time would you leave Times Square if you want to go by cab or shuttle bus to miss the Fri night rush hour traffic to JFK?

Any ideas on costs?

Thanks in advance!
You would probably want to leave at 4PM or so. I simply don't fathom why you would want to do that to yourself, though...sitting in traffic in Queens, crawling your way towards JFK, is awful. Even with the large suitcase...just walk a block over to the E at Port Authority and ride it out to Jamaica to the AirTrain.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
You would probably want to leave at 4PM or so. I simply don't fathom why you would want to do that to yourself, though...sitting in traffic in Queens, crawling your way towards JFK, is awful. Even with the large suitcase...just walk a block over to the E at Port Authority and ride it out to Jamaica to the AirTrain.
While I also would opt for public transportation, which I would expect would take 75-90 minutes and cost $7.75/person, it's not as simple as just walking a block. First, most people who say they are leaving from Times Square aren't actually in Times Square, but rather are in the general area, so the walk could be longer (or shorter). But also that suitcase is going to have to be wrestled up and down stairs (or painfully slow elevators), and the E train is likely to be packed to the gills for much of the ride.

That said, if the OP's luggage proves to be manageable, I second the public transportation recommendation (either walking to the E train and taking that to the AirTrain, or walking to the LIRR at Penn Station and taking that to the AirTrain, which is faster and more comfortable, although more expensive -- $15.25/person when the cost of the AirTrain is factored in). But if that sounds like too much of a hassle, you'll be fine if you leave at 4pm, even if, as is likely, you sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic the entire way.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
While I also would opt for public transportation, which I would expect would take 75-90 minutes and cost $7.75/person, it's not as simple as just walking a block. First, most people who say they are leaving from Times Square aren't actually in Times Square, but rather are in the general area, so the walk could be longer (or shorter). But also that suitcase is going to have to be wrestled up and down stairs (or painfully slow elevators), and the E train is likely to be packed to the gills for much of the ride.

That said, if the OP's luggage proves to be manageable, I second the public transportation recommendation (either walking to the E train and taking that to the AirTrain, or walking to the LIRR at Penn Station and taking that to the AirTrain, which is faster and more comfortable, although more expensive -- $15.25/person when the cost of the AirTrain is factored in). But if that sounds like too much of a hassle, you'll be fine if you leave at 4pm, even if, as is likely, you sit in bumper-to-bumper traffic the entire way.
The LIRR/AirTrain combination would cost just $12.50/person if the OP were to board the 4:09 pm (or earlier) departure from Penn Station to Jamaica. Those trains are classified as "off-peak."
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Originally Posted by guv1976
The LIRR/AirTrain combination would cost just $12.50/person if the OP were to board the 4:09 pm (or earlier) departure from Penn Station to Jamaica. Those trains are classified as "off-peak."
I thought any train departing Penn Station between 4pm and 8pm is peak.

From the MTA's website: "Peak Fares are charged during business rush hours, on any weekday train scheduled to arrive in NYC terminals between 6 and 10 AM or depart NYC terminals between 4 and 8 PM."
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought any train departing Penn Station between 4pm and 8pm is peak.

From the MTA's website: "Peak Fares are charged during business rush hours, on any weekday train scheduled to arrive in NYC terminals between 6 and 10 AM or depart NYC terminals between 4 and 8 PM."
For years now, there have been a few exceptions to this for trains departing Penn shortly after 4:00 PM. Pull up the Penn-Jamaica LIRR schedule for a weekday afternoon, and you'll see that the 4:09 pm departure (and those before it) are all clearly identified as "off-peak."
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
For years now, there have been a few exceptions to this for trains departing Penn shortly after 4:00 PM. Pull up the Penn-Jamaica LIRR schedule for a weekday afternoon, and you'll see that the 4:09 pm departure (and those before it) are all clearly identified as "off-peak."
Yes, I see that. That's really interesting. Do you know why that is?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sggolf
What time would you leave Times Square if you want to go by cab or shuttle bus to miss the Fri night rush hour traffic to JFK?
You won't miss the Friday evening rush hour traffic en route to JFK. You'd probably need to leave by 3pm to "miss" it (and cross-town traffic and the Van Wyck will still probably be moving slowly at that time). Expect to sit in traffic if you go by surface road. Plan for 60 minutes (best case) to 120 minutes (worst case) of travel time (most likely time is 75-90 minutes IMO), and go from there.

As others have mentioned, if you can swing the train (even with one large-ish suitcase, it's really not that bad), it shouldn't take more than 60 minutes from Times Square. So for an 8pm flight, you can probably leave at 5:30-6pm if going by train. I'd leave by 4:30-5pm if going by car/taxi.

Also, don't under ANY circumstance, take a shared shuttle, like SuperShuttle. A full size bus from, say the Port Authority, might not be a terrible choice though. Forget who runs them - Olympia Trails?
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Also, don't under ANY circumstance, take a shared shuttle, like SuperShuttle. A full size bus from, say the Port Authority, might not be a terrible choice though. Forget who runs them - Olympia Trails?
NYC Airporter operates the bus service from Manhattan to JFK, charging $18 one way, or $27 round-trip. I agree that they are far preferable to shared van services, but in my mind the only good options, especially if you are two (or more) people (meaning the Airporter will cost $36, not $18), are public transportation (either the E or the LIRR to the AirTrain), or taxi/uber/lyft.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No clue.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it's like AA's former 50-mile grace amount for sticker upgrades.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Any FT'ers taken the NYCAirporter lately? Planning or considering taking it - best to check to see if the JFK route is making a stop at LGA to pickup and/or drop off airport transfer pax b/c I recalled seeing them on the Grand Central Pkwy in the are of LIE/I-495 - that can add significant travel time with the random traffic issues inside LGA's service roadways.

Otherwise, OP should be OK leaving midtown/Times Square around 4 PM on a taxi or car service (both are flat-rates + toll) ... Queens Midtown Tunnel is smoother with cashless toll. Unless weather is a problem like this weekend & potholes are sending the DOT patch-up road crews out to block traffic & fill them in, creating instant closures until they resume their patrol ... roads are better as temperature cycle re-freeze and warm, 90 minutes on average is a reasonable time to make it all the way to JFK. Bottleneck is at the 69th Street ramp & merge at the elevated LIE heading to GCP, after the split for GCP and LGA airport. One option is exit Queens blvd. & south on Woodhaven Blvd. with traffic lights on local street direct to Conduit Ave for JFK Expressway, very predictable trip time (not all taxi/car service drivers are crazy for this heavily traveled option) for this segment in about 30 minutes - GCP and Van Wyck, still a daily horror ride/drive from Jewel Ave. down to the Kew Gardens/Hillside Ave interchange & exit merging - easing after Jamaica Ave. with another 10 to 15 minutes as long as it's moving, both morning & afternoon into late evening.

NY State Police (marked vehicles) are seen now doing more speed/traffic enforcement on NYC highways, seen them both near LGA and JFK and that's creating rubbernecking depending on where the drivers are pulled over.

Regardless, Friday afternoon are always unpredictable - do a quick check on Waze app to review the route options before scheduling the pickup time for car service or street hail for a taxi (shift changes & timing are always a problem) to look for possible major traffic tieups - worst case, head for LIRR out to Jamaica & use the AirTrain, with the "E" line as another backup.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
I'm in a similar situation and wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.

I have a 6:30 PM Thursday departure on DL JFK/SEA. With a backpack and 2x 50 lb bags, it seems the best idea is to take a cab from Grand Central (near where my 2x bags will be stored) at 3:00 PM. I think leaving so early will have me at the airport by 4:30 PM and avoid both rush hour traffic and peak hour surcharges. With two bags, a cab seems to beat LIRR/AirTrain.

Does this seem about right?

Bonus question: Best place to store my bags by GCT?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
I'm in a similar situation and wanted to make sure I'm doing this right.

I have a 6:30 PM Thursday departure on DL JFK/SEA. With a backpack and 2x 50 lb bags, it seems the best idea is to take a cab from Grand Central (near where my 2x bags will be stored) at 3:00 PM. I think leaving so early will have me at the airport by 4:30 PM and avoid both rush hour traffic and peak hour surcharges. With two bags, a cab seems to beat LIRR/AirTrain.

Does this seem about right?

Bonus question: Best place to store my bags by GCT?
Taking a taxi (or uber) at 3:00 should be fine. If you wanna save some money, you can take the Airporter, which departs from very close to GCT every half hour.

As for luggage storage, i would try the Grand Hyatt at GCT, or any other local hotel. I wouldn't even mention the fact that you're not a guest at the hotel. Just go to the bell stand and ask if you can store your bags for the day. I'd tip at least $10 for two large bags. You also could give these guys a shot, although it's not right at GCT.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Taking a taxi (or uber) at 3:00 should be fine. If you wanna save some money, you can take the Airporter, which departs from very close to GCT every half hour.

As for luggage storage, i would try the Grand Hyatt at GCT, or any other local hotel. I wouldn't even mention the fact that you're not a guest at the hotel. Just go to the bell stand and ask if you can store your bags for the day. I'd tip at least $10 for two large bags. You also could give these guys a shot, although it's not right at GCT.
Thanks! Really liking the idea of the Airporter.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)

Note of caution on the bus though, the last time I took it-- a Saturday afternoon last summer-- I swore off it. Returning from JFK, the driver took the Queensborough bridge, that showed a 40 minute crossing on GPS, rather than the five odd minute ride that would have been if he had crossed through the Midtown tunnel. I imagine the instruction for drivers is to save on the toll. This trip back to the city took me close to two hours.

Hopefully, on the way to the airport, when people are on a more urgent clock, they take the quickest possible route, but such was my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.