Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4th July Fireworks question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

4th July Fireworks question

Looking at taking my 2 school-aged girls to New York for the first and last time for a week ending the 4th of July weekend.

If we want to be in town the evening of the fireworks it would mean a bit more minor inconvenience of flight scheduling, leaving early the next morning or arriving home late at night.

I'm wondering how worth it it is to watch the fireworks. I've read that to get decent viewing you need to camp out 5 hours ahead of time (we won't do that) or buy a $150.00 boat ticket (would probably do that if the fireworks are worth seeing).

So the question is, how good are the fireworks, compared to other run-of-the-mill fireworks, and if it is worthwhile going to see the fireworks, is there any half decent viewing are that doesn't involve a huge headache battling crowds to get a view?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:37 pm

If you like fireworks, it's very hard to beat the NYC July 4th display.

Of the fireworks displays I've seen, the only ones that I'd consider in the same league were celebrating the 3000th anniversary of the founding of Jerusalem (launched from the walls of the Old City) and the anniversary of the handover of Hong Kong from the Brits to the Chinese (launched from Hong Kong harbor).

In addition to camping out for hours or buying an expensive boat ticket (which will also be a significant time commitment), there are tons of apartment buildings and probably quite a few hotels that have decent views if you can get access. Ideally you'd find one with a roof deck or some sort of outdoor terrace that's close enough to really feel the power of the explosions, because IMO feeling them really adds to the experience. But I'm afraid I don't have any specific suggestions.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:34 pm
Suspended

Where will it be this time? Hudson or East River?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Typically it's announced in mid-April. No news yet for this year.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:49 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We've gotten great views from high floors of hotels facing the correct river, and from rooftop bars. For much less than $150. We've got two hotel reservations for that weekend in hand, will cancel the one that faces the "wrong" river when location is announced.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
We've gotten great views from high floors of hotels facing the correct river, and from rooftop bars. For much less than $150. We've got two hotel reservations for that weekend in hand, will cancel the one that faces the "wrong" river when location is announced.
Any hotel suggestions?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:04 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
West side of Manhattan is easy, lots of tall hotels to chose from. Just make sure you reserve a west facing, high floor room. We used to do this at the Westin, but in the past few years a new building has gone up between them and the river, blocking much of the view, so we've started staying at another property with a similar view and no block.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 3:18 pm
Suspended

I was thinking of staying at the Marriott Residence Inn. Apparently, it's the highest hotel in town.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
West side of Manhattan is easy, lots of tall hotels to chose from. Just make sure you reserve a west facing, high floor room. We used to do this at the Westin, but in the past few years a new building has gone up between them and the river, blocking much of the view, so we've started staying at another property with a similar view and no block.
Any suggestions for the east side? Rumor has it the fireworks will be over the Brooklyn Bridge once again.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:10 am

Any suggestions for the east side? Rumor has it the fireworks will be over the Brooklyn Bridge once again.
Very very unlikely. They have *always* either been on the East Side or the West Side. Sometimes there is an additional set downtown near the Brooklyn Bridge, but that's never the only location.

East Side hotels would not have a view of the Brooklyn Bridge area, anyway.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Very very unlikely. They have *always* either been on the East Side or the West Side. Sometimes there is an additional set downtown near the Brooklyn Bridge, but that's never the only location.

East Side hotels would not have a view of the Brooklyn Bridge area, anyway.
OK. Then what hotels/area do you suggest to stay?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The East River down by the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://www.nycgo.com/events/macys-fo...uly-fireworks1
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
The East River down by the Brooklyn Bridge.

http://www.nycgo.com/events/macys-fo...uly-fireworks1
That description appears to be recycled from last year. I would not read too much into it.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:40 pm

With Howard Hughes Corp (owner of South Street Seaport) listed as a sponsor on the Macy's website, the East River seems likely. Unless they're still listing the 2014 sponsors?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
As the mayor is from Brooklyn, they will probably be on the East River for the remainder of his time in office. It looks like they will have a secondary display off of the Brooklyn Bridge again this year.

To the OP, they are worthwhile. If you are going to view to view them from ground level, I highly recommend going to Brooklyn and viewing them from Brooklyn Bridge Park, or the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. You'll see the fireworks in front of the skyline of lower Manhattan in the background. It's quite a view.

A quick note: If you do view the fireworks from the street plan on walking or taking the subway back to wherever you'll be spending the night. It's impossible to get a cab or car service after the event.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.