JFK to Greenwich Village

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:21 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
JFK to Greenwich Village

Hello,

I am going to NYC for the first time Monday in 10 days. I will arrive at JFK and will go straight to my hotel located on W 8th Street.
It seems to me the nearest metro station is W 4 St and I have 3 different ways of going there:
- AirTrain to Jamaica, then line E
- AirTrain to Howard Beach, then line A
- AirTrain to Jamaica, then LIRR to Penn Station, then line A, C or E to W 4 St

Which one would you recommend me to take ? Also is there better alternatives I have missed ?

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I would not bother with the LIRR: while it would save you a few minutes' time, it will cost more and require an additional transfer.

Going to that part of Manhattan, I would go with whichever AirTrain arrives at your terminal first, either Howard Beach-bound, or Jamaica-bound; and then connect to the A or the E, as necessary.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Hello,

I am going to NYC for the first time Monday in 10 days. I will arrive at JFK and will go straight to my hotel located on W 8th Street.
It seems to me the nearest metro station is W 4 St and I have 3 different ways of going there:
- AirTrain to Jamaica, then line E
- AirTrain to Howard Beach, then line A
- AirTrain to Jamaica, then LIRR to Penn Station, then line A, C or E to W 4 St

Which one would you recommend me to take ? Also is there better alternatives I have missed ?

Thanks
The A, C and E are the same "trunk" line in Manhattan, so for you it's a matter of time and money vs the LIRR commuter train.

However, you never said where on Eighth? I'm going to assume you're at the Marlton or Washington Square hotel. But if you're closer to bway or something goes wrong with the A, C or E, you can take the N/R train.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I will be at the Marlton.
Money is not an issue here, I am looking for speed/convenience. Seems the wisdom will be to take the subway from the first AirTrain passing by.
Thanks to both of you.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Money is not an issue here, I am looking for speed/convenience.
Then take a taxi or call a car service. It'll likely save you 10-15 minutes and drop you at the front door of the hotel.

For mass transit I'd take the E. It operates a bit more frequently than the A IME and both have approximately the same travel time from JFK to W4th.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"For mass transit I'd take the E. It operates a bit more frequently than the A IME and both have approximately the same travel time from JFK to W4th."

But would you really let a Howard Beach-bound AirTrain depart without you if it came before a Jamaica-bound train?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:38 pm

You don't mention what day of the week or the time of day you're arriving. If you're not arriving during rush hour period and money isn't an option, take a taxi for the reasons sbm12 gave. Otherwise, I agree with those who advise taking the Airtrain —> E train to W 4th.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
But would you really let a Howard Beach-bound AirTrain depart without you if it came before a Jamaica-bound train?
Yes. And I do so frequently when headed home to one station north of there.

The average headway on the AirTrain is 3-5 minutes IME. The headway on the E trains is typically 4-6 minutes while the A train is often 15-20+ and at best is every 12 minutes during peak times. Put that all together and on average, the E should be faster, even with a couple minutes longer ride on the E to get to W4th.

Plus the E is now all newer cars which are more comfortable and have better signage which I think is useful for a visitor.

The main advantage the A has is that it is above ground part of the time after leaving the airport so you get reception on your phone if that's useful.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:49 pm

A or E

There is no 'right' answer here and no way to be certain which will be faster for you - depends how long you end up waiting for the train to come. That said, I agree with sbm12 that the E is the better experience. Since this is your first visit to NYC the E is likely to give you a more a positive view of the subway system and the city in general.

The E has frequent service at all times of day and it uses new train cars with screens that display the stations, along with automated announcements. It feels a bit more 21st century than other subway lines. If those things appeal to you then definitely go for the E!

The A, conversely, uses old train cars and feels more rundown. The conductors make quick announcements that you may or may not be able to understand. It passes through some Brooklyn's poorest neighborhoods on its way to the city. It also runs infrequently at times. I take it to/from JFK and occasionally I get very annoyed when there are long waits for trains. If you don't mind these things than the A will do the job!

Now here's a tip for then you get off the train:

The W4 subway station is very big. If you're on the E exit towards the back of the train and use the 8th street / Waverly exit, which will get you closest to your hotel. On the A this exit will be the front of the train, since the A will have come from the other direction.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice. I will also look at taxi options. One factor will be how tired I am upon arrival and whether or not I feel like the subway is OK or I just want to get to the hotel as soon as possible. I will arrive at 14:00, so outside of rush hours.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The average headway on the AirTrain is 3-5 minutes IME.
Used to be true, but they have cut the service back dramatically. It now seems to be every 10 minutes at best.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:53 am

Well, if you decide to spring for a taxi i'd recommend just getting on the taxi line and taking a yellow city taxi. Yellow cabs are highly regulated and most veteran drivers know the best routes. Note that JFK, like many airports around the world, has problems with unlicensed or dishonest drivers offering rides in the arrivals area - do not fall for this as you have no idea who these weirdos are, whether they'll rip you off, or worse. Just take a licensed, yellow taxi!

There is flat rate from JFK to any destination in Manhattan of $52 +surcharges + tolls + tip. So that comes to a total of no more than $70, assuming no more than a 20% tip and a $6 toll if the driver takes one of the tolled bridges/tunnels into the city. There used to be stories of drivers turning the meter on for unsuspecting tourists, but I think that has been quashed. Still - know your rights vis-a-vis the flat rate.

From the Taxi Commission website (http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/pas...l#AirportTrips) fares To/From JFK and any location in Manhattan:

Onscreen meter rate is ‘Rate #02 – JFK Airport.’
This is a flat fare of $52 plus tolls, the 50-cent MTA State Surcharge, and the 30-cent Improvement Surcharge.
Passenger is responsible for paying all tolls.
Please tip your driver for safety and good service.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:11 am
Original Poster

NYCAIR1234, thanks a lot for detailled info on the cab.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:14 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Sorry to complicate the issue but if you exit the airport (or get on taxi queue) anytime after 14:30-45 (if you must collect a bag) on a weekday - I'd take the subway.
Rush-hour is beginning towards end-of-school day traffic, etc. You are going against traffic but the VWE is under construction and merge of GCP & LIE consistently is a mess. The subway is a guarantee time AirTrain to door of @ 60-75 minutes. Your cab length can vary from 40-75 minutes.

The hotel is 2 1/2 block from Northern most subway exit (maybe a 4 minute walk).
I am aware money is not a factor in your inquiry but $52 with tolls vs. $7.75 for a time savings difference ranging from 0 to 20 minutes (if you have no requirement of comfort).
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by SJC AA
Used to be true, but they have cut the service back dramatically. It now seems to be every 10 minutes at best.
Absolutely not true.
(That seems to be my response to a lot of your NYC posts, doesn't it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.