Search

EWR or LGA for getting into the city

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
EWR or LGA for getting into the city

Hi,

Can fly into either airport with similar arrival times. Which one is easier to commute from to the city? Arrival will be on a Friday evening.

Will be staying overnight and departing from JFK. Arrival to JFK is not an option.

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 17, 2015, 1:45 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
"the city" is too vague to be of any real help. Please share exactly where (near Times Square, Central Park, Wall Street, etc.) you need to go.

Suggest you also take a look at http://flyerguide.com/index.php/NYC_...sportation_FAQ

Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Strongly prefer LGA to anywhere in Manhattan, even though it's a dump. Most efficient is to take the M60 from 125th and Lexington to LGA and vice versa.

EWR is more of a hassle to get to unless you're right at Penn Station, and even then it's kind of a pain to take NJ transit and then the Air Train.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Friday evening from EWR could take you 3 hours while LGA would be 30 minutes. The tunnels from EWR could be bad. If taking a train, not as bad. Strongly suggest LGA
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Most efficient is to take the M60 from 125th and Lexington to LGA and vice versa.
Although it depends on one's destination, this is very rarely true.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by closetasfan
Friday evening from EWR could take you 3 hours while LGA would be 30 minutes.
Where do these numbers come from? When was the last time it took you three hours to travel into the city from EWR? And travel in from LGA could take 30 minutes. It also could take an hour.

I prefer LGA, too, but I also prefer providing accurate information.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:57 pm
Suspended

For years, I flew into Newark, heading for Manhattan. Now, I find LGA to be much cheaper and faster. If I take a taxi, it's cheaper. If I take the subway, there are 2 buses. One M-- bus that connects to the 4/5/6 subways and also to the 1 on the west side. There's a no stop bus, Q--, that connects to the 7 subway in Jackson Heights.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Box5
For years, I flew into Newark, heading for Manhattan. Now, I find LGA to be much cheaper and faster. If I take a taxi, it's cheaper. If I take the subway, there are 2 buses. One M-- bus that connects to the 4/5/6 subways and also to the 1 on the west side. There's a no stop bus, Q--, that connects to the 7 subway in Jackson Heights.
The Q70 bus connects with the E, F, M, R and 7 trains in Jackson Heights. For those taking public transportation, this more often than not (but not always) will be the best route.

Oh, and there are four buses that service LGA (and I think a fifth that goes just to the Marine Terminal).
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by closetasfan
Friday evening from EWR could take you 3 hours while LGA would be 30 minutes. The tunnels from EWR could be bad. If taking a train, not as bad. Strongly suggest LGA
I think your 30 minutes is overly optimistic on Friday night but I agree I would go to LGA.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
LGA, LGA and LGA. Not only is it faster & closer, but the airport itself is much smaller and the time from the arrival gate to the car is infinetely less.

On that note, unless you really need to save money, grab an Uber.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
I just returned from a NYC trip and flew to/from LGA for the first time. I usually travel in and out of EWR. LGA is such a complete dump, especially Terminal B.

I used public transportation both ways, the Q70LTD bus to the 7 train at Jackson Heights. It was certainly a bargain, since I bought a weekly Metro ticket at the machine (inside) by the bus stop, making the route from/to LGA "free." This transport is only OK if you can carry your luggage up and down multiple flights of stairs. There is an elevator at the Jackson Heights station, but it could be non-functional when you travel.

I much prefer the Olympic Trails bus from/to EWR. That bus has 3 stops in Manhattan: Grand Central, Bryant Park, and Penn Station. No flights of stairs, much less hassle.

Truth be told, none of the NYC airports are "nice," choose based on the best airfare you can get.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
There are some exceptions to the rule -
JFK - T4 or T5
EWR - Terminal C (United)
LGA - well none are great but Delta's new terminal offers more shops and offerings.

The rest of the NYC airport terminals are accurately described as a dump.

All NYC airports are easy to get to via public transportation (assuming carry on baggage) and departure from NYC. Maybe the most difficult concept for out of towners (excluding Europe/Asia) - one doesn't need a taxi or Shuttle unless traveling with kids/elderly or heavy bags.
LGA is about 45 minutes or less
EWR is about 45-50 minutes or less
JFK is about 45-50 minutes or less
The above estimates assume rush hour, weekday and no train delays plus you haven't missed the prior transport options requiring waiting another 15 minutes for next departure.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
There are some exceptions to the rule -
JFK - T4 or T5
EWR - Terminal C (United)
LGA - well none are great but Delta's new terminal offers more shops and offerings.

The rest of the NYC airport terminals are accurately described as a dump.

All NYC airports are easy to get to via public transportation (assuming carry on baggage) and departure from NYC. Maybe the most difficult concept for out of towners (excluding Europe/Asia) - one doesn't need a taxi or Shuttle unless traveling with kids/elderly or heavy bags.
LGA is about 45 minutes or less
EWR is about 45-50 minutes or less
JFK is about 45-50 minutes or less
The above estimates assume rush hour, weekday and no train delays plus you haven't missed the prior transport options requiring waiting another 15 minutes for next departure.
What he said.

And while NYC airports are dumps, who cares? I go to the airport to board an airplane and go somewhere else, not to dine or shop. And I certainly am not choosing which airport to fly in or out of based on how nice it is. I much prefer LGA, which, while a dump, is easily accessible to where I want to be (NYC) over DEN, which I hate because, while relatively new, is light years away from anywhere I want to be, and even when curbside one needs to allot an absurd amount of time to actually get to an airplane, which is why one is there in the first place.

Also, people love to complain about the public transportation options at NYC airports, the options are, as pointed out in the quoted post, pretty convenient. Sure it would be great to have a single seat ride from all NYC airports to my office and apartment, but still for little money I can get between all of NYC's airports and my office and apartment in a reasonable period of time.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by Blumie
Although it depends on one's destination, this is very rarely true.
Compared to what? A taxi or car service is certainly quicker than a bus, but as far as public transportation goes, I see no other real option from LGA to Manhattan. Are you saying taking a Q bus to the 7 line is better?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Compared to what? A taxi or car service is certainly quicker than a bus, but as far as public transportation goes, I see no other real option from LGA to Manhattan. Are you saying taking a Q bus to the 7 line is better?
Originally Posted by Blumie
The Q70 bus connects with the E, F, M, R and 7 trains in Jackson Heights. For those taking public transportation, this more often than not (but not always) will be the best route.
More often than not it's not even a close call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.