Search

Carmel or Dial7 (or ?) from EWR to Manhattan

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat Pro, FPC Premier, UA Silver, Hyatt Explorist, SPG Gold
Carmel or Dial7 (or ?) from EWR to Manhattan

Hello everyone,

I have a flight landing at EWR around 4:45PM. I am inclined to book a town car service to get to my Manhattan hotel. I see that people have previously recommended Carmel and Dial7 in the forums, but I did not see any recent info/feedback on what car companies provide the best value. Carmel and Dial7 are quoting about $45-50, which seems like a steal presuming they are reliable.

Any recommendations?

All comments are much appreciated!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Personally I prefer Carmel. Had a bad experience with Dial7 once. Equally others have said the same about Carmel. (how's that for balance !)

Carmel also offer a few bonus miles for some airline programmes not sure about dial 7

Have also got cashback from Carmel in the past via quidco.

So if you collect miles and cashback check what extras you might get from each.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
That is so 6 yrs ago... Go Uber or similar service!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
That is so 6 yrs ago... Go Uber or similar service!
Sure, and pay double.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:42 am

I use Dial7 because I had a bad experience with Carmel once

Dial7's quoted base rate is indeed $48 for the basic sedan (i.e., call on arrival and meet outside), but you need to add the tolls (another $15-20 or so) on top plus any tip. I usually offset this a bit with coupons!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:15 am

Carmel and Dial7 are more or less the same. I like Carmel's online booking tool better, but sometimes find better coupons for Dial7.

UberX is $65 from EWR to Manhattan (plus tolls I think), so I'd probably take Carmel and Dial7. Although it might be worth trying Lyft. You'll probably get a random person driving their private car and not a professional livery driver and I don't know how plentiful Lyft drivers are at EWR (at this moment there only appears to be one on the EWR grounds), but the fare is cheap: probably around $30 + tolls for most destinations in Manhattan. If you want a referral code to Lyft, PM me.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Uber has town cars driven by professional drivers. In fact, most also drive for Carmel, DIAL7 or other services.

Booking a car in advance is useless because cars are "penned" at EWR. In other words, they can't pull up until you are ready to be picked up or they can park, come in and meet you and then schlep you to the car.

The wait for an Uber once you are ready to be picked up won't be more than 2-3 minutes and might be less. It's also all included, billed to your CC and there is no muss, no fuss with tolls, tips, surcharges and the like.

Unless you book one of the really high-end services, everything will net out within $10.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cdmca
Hello everyone,

I have a flight landing at EWR around 4:45PM. I am inclined to book a town car service to get to my Manhattan hotel. I see that people have previously recommended Carmel and Dial7 in the forums, but I did not see any recent info/feedback on what car companies provide the best value. Carmel and Dial7 are quoting about $45-50, which seems like a steal presuming they are reliable.

Any recommendations?

All comments are much appreciated!
There is really no difference between the two. If you can find a coupon that gives a greater discount for one over the other, then pick that one. Personally, I hate Dial 7 and will never use them again simply because I had a TERRIBLE experience with one of the drivers and left the car immediately (it was a trip from LGA). I can't say that one of the Carmel drivers wouldn't do the same thing but it has never happened to me.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I'm a Carmel user...haven't tried 777 but Carmel has worked for me for the most part, so I have stuck with them.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
A regular $4 off carmel coupon:
http://www.carmellimo.com/promos/cou...pon_codes.html
Old Nov 2, 2014, 10:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
We preferred and use Carmel, and would recommend Carmel coming from EWR into Manhattan. Both have their own holding or staging area for fleet cars off the airport, and they are usually curbside in 10 minutes - which is typical walking time/distance once you are off the jet/inside the terminal with carryons - or, from luggage carousal - after calling them. They have the free App for iOS & Android to keep track of the reservations & status, etc.
-
Have Dial7's phone #'s to call or use as a backup - both have online/coupon discounts.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've also gone back and forth between the two over the years (when one would piss me off, I'd switch, and then a couple of years later I'd switch back). I recently got screwed by Carmel, so I've sworn off them and will be using Dial7 going forward (or perhaps, Uber, as I screamed at the dispatcher on the phone telling him it was no wonder they were losing so much business to Uber...)

It was 10pm at LGA and a pretty long taxi line. So, from the back of the queue, I called Carmel and they said they could get me a car in 5-10 minutes. So we got off the line and went to wait curbside. No car after 15 minutes, at which point I called back, and they told me they were completely booked and didn't have any cars available.

And FWIW, the estimated fares on Uber were nearly twice what a taxi or Carmel/Dial7 would charge.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
I've used Carmel, Dial7, Planet Limo, Allstate Limo, and a couple others, all at least 3 times. Honestly, I prefer Planet Limo. They have a decent new app, they finally have receipts online (although it takes a week), and they also seem to have better customer service of late. The drivers also show up on site typically 10 minutes before scheduled pick-up time and don't start the "waiting" clock until the appointed time.

Carmel is a GIANT pain to deal with. I'm required to submit expense receipts and they are impossible to get a hold of and even when you do, they never send you a copy of your receipt. After 3 straight times, I quit them.

Allstate is just pricier than the others and REALLY stingy on the waiting time.

Dial7 had inconsistent customer service/receipt delivery and their drivers tend to be right on time or late.

Uber Black is good from the perspective that they are insured livery drivers, but man are they pricey. Lyft drivers are generally not insured, so a bit riskier, but that's what keeps the overhead and prices low.

EDIT: Master limo/car service thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...-services.html
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:47 pm

Over many years I've used both Carmel and Dial7. The drivers and cars always seem about the same, but the customer service is much better at Carmel. The phone reps at Dial7 can be very rude.

Whatever you decide, don't pay in advance, or you have no recourse if something goes amiss. And never pay extra for their "meet and greet" service. There are courtesy phones for both companies at the baggage claim level. Just phone from there and they'll pick you up in about five minutes.

If budget is an issue, use public transit. Take the AirTrain to the Newark Liberty rail station, where you transfer for a New Jersey Transit train directly to New York Penn Station. (Two things to be aware of -- 1. Don't confuse Newark Penn Station with New York Penn Station, and 2. Be sure to take NJ Transit, Amtrak uses the same track and costs much, much more.)

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:48 pm

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.