NY Observer: Cuomo and Biden Vow Transformative Overhaul of New York Airports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:01 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash
Original Poster

NY Observer: Cuomo and Biden Vow Transformative Overhaul of New York Airports

From New York Observer

By Ross Barkan | 10/20/14 1:18pm

Appearing with Vice President Joseph Biden Jr. today, Gov. Andrew Cuomo vowed to dramatically reshape the city’s two aging airports and turn two other little-known airports in major economic hubs.

The vice president and governor touted the value of infrastructure investment, with Mr. Biden providing the sweeping rhetoric and Mr. Cuomo the nuts-and-bolts of what could come to the airports...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR NOTE

For a related previous thread, see also: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...a-airport.html

dstan
NYC Forum Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 21, 2014 at 3:03 pm Reason: Removed wholesale copy-and-paste of copyrighted material per FT Rules
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Per http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ing-helps.html will send to the appropriate destination forum.

cblaisd
Moderator, Travel News
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Hahahahaha, that's a good one.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Yup.. Upstate voters absolutely will vote for any funding directed towards LGA airport. And Port Authority absolutely is managed well and will do the right thing for economical growth of the region.

I guess Biden & Cuomo felt it necessary to get on camera. How long before Schumer piles on?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I don't get using FRG as ISP is nearby and that would create more airspace traffic. SWF could be a decent solution but the money for a rail link just isn't there. HPN and ISP have Nimby's so adding more flights isn't going to happen. The Subway link to LGA also isn't likely to ever happen due to Nimby's.
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There must be an election coming in NY!

He said the same thing last year and as far as I can tell has done nothing in between to progress this.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
If there's one thing, I wish JFK/LGA/EWR would have a direct nonstop train from Penn Station or Grand Central (similar to Heathrow Express at LHR, MTR Airport Express in HKG, or any major int'l city.)
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by trigleek
If there's one thing, I wish JFK/LGA/EWR would have a direct nonstop train from Penn Station or Grand Central (similar to Heathrow Express at LHR, MTR Airport Express in HKG, or any major int'l city.)
It's highly unlikely and almost impossible because of the logistics that would have to be involved. In addition, the government would have to seize alot of property and people would not be happy. Lastly, considering the 7 train extension is way past it's scheduled date if a monumental task like this were undertaken it would take a decade or longer.

However, I do not think the Lirr air train option to JFK or the Lirr to 61st and then express bus to LGA are too bad of an option.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: QFF
Well, JFK has the LIRR to Penn from Jamaica Station...
Old Oct 21, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
Last time I checked there were no flights from Jamaica Station…and taking the AirTrain is another train…not what I would call a direct nonstop train from Penn Station or Grand Central. The bus to LGA is not too bad but still not ideal either. It should be subway.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
NJT runs from EWR to Penn Station
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador

Some transit history for LHR

1946 - opened for commercial operations

1977 - connected to the Piccadilly line

1998 - Heathrow Express rail service starts

2005 - Heathrow Connect service starts

So it took 30 years from opening until there was a direct connection to mass transit (other than a bus) and 50 for a train service.

BTW the first time I visited New York was in 1999 and my friend and I got the A train into Manhattan with a suitcase each. Never again !
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:36 pm

LGA should either be limited to regional flights, or closed. Old terminals, intersecting short runways, and if the plane misses...Plan on swimming or playing in traffic.

Islip or Westchester are regional plays as well.

Stewart (SWF) is a great airport nowhere near transit, or where people live. If the government pushed freight service there, it would probably be a better fit.

JFK slowly improves - but to match Biden's comparing LGA to Hong Kong? It would take billions.

Keep in mind that the replacement for the Tappan Zee Bridge which is the big project now in the eyes of the NYS and the federal government when complete will expand from 7 lanes to 8 lanes. (Currently 4 in the congested direction, 3 in the lesser congested direction and they move the median twice a day)
The toll is expected to go from $5 to $15.

Yeah, it's an election year - we'll all hear grandiose things, and accomplish nothing.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dsnarl
LGA should either be limited to regional flights, or closed. Old terminals, intersecting short runways, and if the plane misses...Plan on swimming or playing in traffic.

Islip or Westchester are regional plays as well.

Stewart (SWF) is a great airport nowhere near transit, or where people live. If the government pushed freight service there, it would probably be a better fit.

JFK slowly improves - but to match Biden's comparing LGA to Hong Kong? It would take billions.

Keep in mind that the replacement for the Tappan Zee Bridge which is the big project now in the eyes of the NYS and the federal government when complete will expand from 7 lanes to 8 lanes. (Currently 4 in the congested direction, 3 in the lesser congested direction and they move the median twice a day)
The toll is expected to go from $5 to $15.

Yeah, it's an election year - we'll all hear grandiose things, and accomplish nothing.
I never use LGA, and likely never will. But if redone properly, (it was recently the only American airport to make the top 10 WORST airports, globally,) it can serve an important function.

While it can't be a reliever airport in the traditional sense, and in that sense, Westchester and Islip (and theory, Teterboro as well could be redone as well to accommodate,) it's as close as any airport can get to "the middle of the city." Think of London City versus Heathrow or Gatwick. Connect the subway directly to the airport, streamline processes and build a nicer terminal. These can keep it as an important, smaller airport, with JFK and EWR acting for the bulk of traffic, and using HPN and ISP (and in theory TEB) as reliever airports, airports for low-cost airlines, and maybe start branching out a bit.

London has the largest airport system in the world, but they use a combination of 2 massive airports (LHR and LGW) and an inner-city, "business-traveler" airport (LCY), and then have 2 "smaller" airports which focus on what HPN/ISP/TEB could (LTN and STN).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
For me, the four main drawbacks to LGA are:

1. Lack of non-stop public transit.
2. Eternal delays
3. Terminal worse than those in many 3rd world countries.
4. Grumpy and rude employees.

#3 can be fixed with enough money.

#4 might be partially fixed if they had a decent environment in which to work.

#1. Available land to build a subway extension seems to be an issue, but given enough money couldn't they tunnel out there or build an elevated track over the expressway? Although, honestly, the connection via the E train and the Q70 bus isn't all that bad. In prime travel time the connection is a maximum wait of 12 minutes. The connection could be improved by adding escalators for those with luggage and by finding a way to build a bus transfer station inside the station. Big tip: when going to terminal B you'll save a ton of time by getting off the first stop and walking from there rather than taking the bus all way around the loop. Oh - they could also add recordings on the Q70 to announce what stop you're approaching and also signs on the bus showing which airlines are at which stop. But, for a total of $2.50 including the transfer this is a good deal.

#2. Only solved by increasing the number of runways which there just isn't any land for. Try departing on a 6pm flight, you'll be in line to take off for an hour or more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.