Search

Airport Transport Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors, Virgin Flying Club
Airport Transport Questions

Hi all,

We are travelling from the UK to NY in October and as we land past midnight at newark so we are thinking of booking a car instead of getting a cab. When booking a car and it asks for a time, do you put in the time the flight lands or the time you get through the airport? If the 2nd option how long does it take to get through with only hand luggage?

Also we are flying out to Vegas from JFK, if we check in online and only hand luggage how long should we allow to get to the plane from manhattan? (plane leaves 19:15)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. As to EWR, use either Elite or Dial7. Both services have fleets on duty at the major airports. You can just as easily call as you clear Customs. On a bad night, it will take 5 minutes for your car to pull up. The same time it will take if you pre-book and the same time it will take the driver to go and get the car if he meets you.

2. As to JFK, I would allow a minimum of 2.5 hours at that time of day. You will be encountering both rush hour traffic and rush hour at the security check point.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Carmel lets you put in the flight number instead of a time and they're not supposed to charge you waiting time (I think)

But...I would not bother. I would call from the airport, even after midnight, and I think there will be plenty of cabs, and if JFK, plenty of yellow cabs. Even if not, I would Airtrain to Jamaica and LIRR to Penn, and there would be cabs there too. I can't get comfortable calling for pickup in advance unless I had a corporate account.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by closetasfan
Carmel lets you put in the flight number instead of a time and they're not supposed to charge you waiting time (I think)

But...I would not bother. I would call from the airport, even after midnight, and I think there will be plenty of cabs, and if JFK, plenty of yellow cabs. Even if not, I would Airtrain to Jamaica and LIRR to Penn, and there would be cabs there too. I can't get comfortable calling for pickup in advance unless I had a corporate account.
The OP is flying into EWR, not JFK.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by RedDog75
Hi all,

We are travelling from the UK to NY in October and as we land past midnight at newark so we are thinking of booking a car instead of getting a cab. When booking a car and it asks for a time, do you put in the time the flight lands or the time you get through the airport? If the 2nd option how long does it take to get through with only hand luggage?

Also we are flying out to Vegas from JFK, if we check in online and only hand luggage how long should we allow to get to the plane from manhattan? (plane leaves 19:15)

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Put the scheduled flight arrival time in.

They are used to delays in passengers clearing immigration and clearing customs etc or even someone just wanting to have a coffee and decompress after the flight.

There won't be a specific driver allocated to collect you twiddling his/her thumbs waiting hours for you - they have a pool of cars. I've always pre-booked (with Carmel Limo) and given the scheduled arrival time and then called them (as per instructions) once I've cleared customs and the most I waited for a car was 10 minutes.

As to getting to JFK are you planning in using a pre-booked car, hailing a taxi or using public transport?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

As to getting to JFK are you planning in using a pre-booked car, hailing a taxi or using public transport?
Thanks for the info.

We was thinking of just hailing a taxi.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Thanks for the info.

We was thinking of just hailing a taxi.
For a 7:15pm flight from JFK with only hand luggage, I'd strongly suggest public transport (train/subway). Depending where you leave from in Manhattan, the trip should be a reliable 40-60 minutes. On the roads at that time, it will be 60-90 minutes and possibly more (2 hrs is not unheard of.)

Also, hailing a taxi at that time can be very difficult. It's shift change + rush hour. If you insist on a car, pre-order a car service from Carmel/Dial7/etc.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

I forgot to mention we will be leaving NY to catch our flight on a Sunday, will that make much difference?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot to mention we will be leaving NY to catch our flight on a Sunday, will that make much difference?
From a traffic perspective, yes, it shouldn't be so terrible, probably still in that 40-60 minute range.

From a shift change perspective, no, that could still be a problem, although there wouldn't be as much competition for the (few) available cabs as there would be on a weekday.

But there's really no downside to ordering a car service.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Uber (if you are registered) is your best option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.