Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

A guide to walking at EWR

Old May 30, 2014, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver

Today I had extra time to kill at EWR, and the weather was absolutely perfect, so I decided to get some exercise and survey the walking routes between terminals and Airtrain stations. The Airtrain is down now, so walking is a good alternative to the disgraceful bus service. Even if the Airtrain were running, walking may beat it, an it’s healthier. There has been a discussion about walking in the EWR Airtrain service shutdown thread, but I decided to start a separate thread because the other one is likely to die once the Airtrain resumes, and I hope walking is here to stay. I report my findings here, and encourage you to add your experiences and wisdom too.

What did I find?
  1. There is marked and signed paved walkway linking P4 - Terminals C - B - A - P3 and almost all the way to P2.
  2. The walkway runs through Level 2 (not Level 1, as one might expect) of all 3 terminals.
  3. Walkway is flat and there are no curbs or steps to negotiate… so it can all be done with rolling luggage or a Smarte Carte. Where there are curbs there is always a handicapped curb cut. One exception: between A and P3 there is one real curb to clear, about 8 inches. Easy to clear with rolling luggage, not so easy with a Smarte Carte. In a bind you can walk on the road for a short distance.
  4. Where the walkway crosses roads there is always a painted crosswalk. There are even two traffic lights between A and P3. Also, between A and P3 there is one crossing without a painted crosswalk, but it’s to cross a very minor road with insignificant traffic.
  5. Between C and B the walkway is covered and lit for most of its length. Cover is only interrupted for crosswalks. It is also covered for about 75% of the length between P2 and P3. Elsewhere, the walkway is mostly uncovered.

In the Airtrain service suspension thread, AAExPlat advocates walking between P3 and Terminal C via the Marriott. I had never done it, but had to try based on those reports. This is a wild route, no formal walkway. You go through parking lots, across roads with multiple lanes of traffic (and no crosswalks), walk on lawn, hop many curbs. This route is absolutely not doable with a Smarte Carte, is a hassle with rolling luggage, can me messy after rain, may be really difficult at night (I doubt every portion is lit), and is sketchy and dangerous all the time. It does save about 7 minutes compared to following the proper route from P3-A-B-C. For reference, from C start at Level 1 (NOT Level 2) Door 01, cross to the parking deck, walk the length of Row 108 of the parking deck, then aim straight for the front of the Marriott, then aim for a tunnel straight ahead in the distance, cross the tunnel, and merge with the real walkway from A to P3.

[EDIT]In posts 17 and 18, AAExPlat provides some more details about his route, which turns out to be slightly different from the one I walked. I have edited the map below to include AAExPlat's route in pink. I never walked this exactly as described, but before you try please read post 17.[/EDIT]

Now for the grand finale here are the distances, times (at an average pace of 6 km/h or 3.7 mph) and number of calories burned (per my fitness app). All Terminal Doors are at Level 2.
Station P2 to Station P3 — 690 meters / 750 yards ; 7 min 50 sec ; 39 calories
Station P3 to Terminal A Door 01 — 410 meters / 450 yards ; 5 min ; 24 calories
Length of Terminal A, from Door 01 to Door 08 — 160 meters / 180 yards ; 2 minutes ; 9 calories
Terminal A Door 05 to Terminal B Door 01 — 340 meters / 370 yards ; 4 min 10 sec ; 19 calories
Length of Terminal B, from Door 01 to Door 09 — 210 meters / 230 yards ; 2.5 min ; 13 calories
Terminal B Door 09 to Terminal C Door 01— 380 meters / 420 yards ; 4 min 30 sec ; 20 calories
Length of Terminal C, from Door 01 to Door 05 — 140 meters / 150 yards ; 1 min 45 sec ; 9 calories
Terminal C Door 05 to Station P4 — 340 meters / 370 yards ; 3 min 50 sec ; 20 calories
Shortcut route from Terminal C Level 1 Door 01 to P3 — 1080 meters / 1180 yards ; 11 minutes ; 64 calories

Summary: All these walking routes are likely to beat the slow busses. All walking routes between adjacent points are likely to beat even the Airtrain when it is operating. All walking routes are doable with luggage and carts. Only B-C is protected from the rain, as others are mostly uncovered.

And remember… Walking is HEALTHIER than taking the bus or Airtrain. Walking is more FRIENDLY TO THE ENVIRONMENT than the bus or Airtrain.

Last edited by CaptainMiles; Jun 1, 2014 at 4:20 am Reason: Edited image to include AAExPlat's route
Old May 30, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
This is amazing thank you for this detailed report! ^

Funny enough, I never even thought of walking while the Air Train was in service, but I will definitely check this out the next time I am in EWR, Air Train or not.

Do you happen to know if it is possible to walk to the Amtrak Station (once the station opens back up)?

Terrific report, thanks again!!
Old May 30, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
This is fantastic, thanks for posting this!
Old May 30, 2014, 8:39 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
Agree. A few years ago I walked from C to A based on the advice of a CO representative who assured me it would be faster. And she was right. Ever since that day I never took the AirTain unless connecting with Amtrak.

I also agree that walking through the parking lot should be discouraged and the 400 yards saved are simply not worth the hassle.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Fantastic post ^
Old May 30, 2014, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Do you happen to know if it is possible to walk to the Amtrak Station (once the station opens back up)?
Definitely not possible.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA ,Qantas ,Southwest
Well done ! , gets you there quicker and fit bit loves you more, very helpful,
any way of avoiding a bus service in an airport run by people who can't run an airport works for me.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
This might be the defining post of what FT was all about. The real 411. Now FT is about entitlement, poor me, what should I do. This makes my day and I already calculated my walking from Parking and love it.
Old May 30, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I have preferred walking from my international arrivals in B to my terminal C connections since I started using EWR. Faster, and vastly more pleasant. Thanks for providing such a good description to empower others!
Old May 30, 2014, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz President Circle
If I have to fly into EWR in the short time ... I think my walking pattern from A to the rental car facility will include a phone call to Hertz Platinum and a few hundred steps from gate to outside baggage claim Call me Lazy ... but that is my kind of walking :-p

However +10 on the post ... this is a facinating post/idea when needing to kill time or wanting a walk outside security!

+-ADT
Old May 30, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
This might be the defining post of what FT was all about. The real 411.
+1. Full kudos. ^
Old May 30, 2014, 10:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold

Funny enough, I never even thought of walking while the Air Train was in service, but I will definitely check this out the next time I am in EWR, Air Train or not.

Terrific report, thanks again!!

The Amtrak station is close to pedestrians, the only way to enter it is through Air Train. This is due to the fact that the Air Train fee is included in your Amtrak or NJ Transit ticket.
Antonio8069 likes this.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:26 pm

Exactly what I was looking for. The most detailed and useful post I have seen in any forum for a long while. EWR would likely sticky it to their main site, if it didn't put their offering to shame.

Thank you.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:28 pm

its too bad that there is no walkway from the train station to terminal C. If there was one underneath the toy monorail I bet I could do it faster about 25% of the time
Old May 31, 2014, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1K
Completely amazing, and the PA should adopt it as their official guide.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.