Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

AirTrain Newark will be suspended for 75 days beginning May 1, 2014

Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Just when you thought EWR couldn't get any worse.

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/pre...adLine_id=1956

MEDIA ADVISORY - AIRTRAIN NEWARK SERVICE TO BE SUSPENDED FOR REPAIRS BEGINNING MAY 1, 2014

Date: Apr 08, 2014
Press Release Number: 73-2014

AirTrain Newark service will be suspended for approximately 75 days beginning Thursday, May 1, 2014, to allow the Port Authority to perform critical repair work to the on-airport rail system. The AirTrain station that links to New Jersey Transit and Amtrak trains along the Northeast Corridor Rail Line will be closed throughout the service suspension. Substitute shuttle bus service will be provided from Newark Penn Station.

During the closure, shuttle buses also will provide service between terminals, lots P2 and P3 (daily parking and rental car areas), and the P4 Garage (including valet and hotel courtesy vans). Normal shuttle bus service between long-term (economy) parking and the terminals will not be affected by the AirTrain service suspension. Short-term parking lots at Terminals A, B and C are within walking distance of the terminals.

While structurally safe, dozens of spots on the system's 6.3-mile running surface that consists of a welded steel grid and epoxy grout are showing signs of erosion - similar to how potholes appear on roadways - and need replacement.

Customers are urged to find alternate means of travel to and from the airport if possible, and consider getting dropped off and picked up at the airport.

In addition to direct shuttle bus service from Newark Penn Station, other ground transportation options at Newark Airport include:

- Bus service via NJ Transit Bus Lines go28, 37, 62, 67, and 107. Visit www.njtransit.com for more information.
- The Newark Airport express bus that connects all three passenger terminals to Grand Central Station (41st Street between Park and Lexington avenues), Bryant Park (42nd Street and 5th Avenue), and the Port Authority Bus Terminal (41st Street between 8th and 9th avenues). Visit http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp for more information.
- Taxi, car and van service for connections between the airport and locations throughout New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. Visit http://www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-t...n-service.html for more information.

Customers using shuttle bus service are strongly urged to allow extra time and be prepared for possible delays. Regular ticket fees will apply for service between the airport and Newark Penn Station. Shuttle bus travel from terminal to terminal, and between terminals, parking and rental car areas is free of charge.

The Port Authority will have additional Customer Care Representatives, easily identified by their red jackets, available in key locations to assist customers throughout the service suspension.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
Well its reliability while shut down might just equal that of when it's actually operating...
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With the closing of the Pulaski Skyway....stay away from EWR if your destination is New York. Fly into LGA or JFK. Maybe even ISP.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by plon
Well its reliability while shut down might just equal that of when it's actually operating...
Indeed. There's an annual trip I take into EWR where I have a lot of bags, and being able to step outside bag claim and hop on a shuttle to the rental car area might actually be an improvement to the 3-4 elevator rides and rickety train ride.

If the shuttle frequency is decent, of course.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
With the closing of the Pulaski Skyway....stay away from EWR if your destination is New York. Fly into LGA or JFK. Maybe even ISP.
Well... It does depend on when/where you are going, and how the shuttle bus schedule pans out. With the weekend frequencies on NJT from EWR to NWK the shuttle bus could actually be an improvement.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
for anyone that lives in chelsea / west village - does it make sense to take the Path into hoboken and then take a cab? I've always avoided EWR, but actually booked two flights out of there to visit my folks, since EWR has the only non-stop to Tulsa from the NYC area. Ugh this is beyond irritating.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by dgxoxo
for anyone that lives in chelsea / west village - does it make sense to take the Path into hoboken and then take a cab? I've always avoided EWR, but actually booked two flights out of there to visit my folks, since EWR has the only non-stop to Tulsa from the NYC area. Ugh this is beyond irritating.
Either take NJ Transit from NYP to Newark Penn Station, and then the #62 bus (or a taxi) from there; or

Take PATH to Newark Penn Station (via Journal Square), and then either a bus or a taxi.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
You save no time taking cab from Hoboken due to construction on Pulaski Skyway (and lane shutdowns as a result of the project) plus the 10 minutes from Hoboken to highway/Turnpike Extension. If you have a ton of bags and already on PATH just stay on.

Cheapest is PATH (23rd or 14th or 9th or Christopher) towards Journal Sq. At Journal transfer to EWR and at EWR go down to bus lanes and board #62 or ?? (I can't remember the Toms River bus).

I avoid AirTrain as much as possible as its reliability is always questionable.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I avoid AirTrain as much as possible as its reliability is always questionable.
I avoid EWR as much as possible because the reliability of public transport is always questionable.
(That said, I waited 25 minutes for an M60 bus to LGA a few weeks ago.)
Old Apr 11, 2014, 2:43 pm

New Jersey Transit now has a page describing its shuttle services from Newark Penn Station.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Apologize for what is likely a dumb question ... but I would much rather know for sure than guess incorrectly ...

Is this the train that you can catch from EWR that takes you directly to New York Penn Station? I used to take this option regularly a couple of years ago -- get off the plane at EWR, walk over to the train station, take the train to New York's Penn Station, and then either walk or take a short cab ride to my hotel in Manhattan. I thought it was an Amtrak service though. Am I confusing two different things? Would appreciate clarification from those in the know, as I will be in the area at the end of May. Many thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by catgirl
Apologize for what is likely a dumb question ... but I would much rather know for sure than guess incorrectly ...

Is this the train that you can catch from EWR that takes you directly to New York Penn Station? I used to take this option regularly a couple of years ago -- get off the plane at EWR, walk over to the train station, take the train to New York's Penn Station, and then either walk or take a short cab ride to my hotel in Manhattan. I thought it was an Amtrak service though. Am I confusing two different things? Would appreciate clarification from those in the know, as I will be in the area at the end of May. Many thanks!
I think you are mis-remembering.

There has never been a single-seat train ride available from the EWR terminals to Manhattan. The AirTrain takes you from the EWR terminals to EWR Rail Station, where you connect (on a different platform) to Amtrak or NJ Transit service to Penn Station New York. You cannot walk from the terminals at EWR to the EWR Rail Station; you can only board the AirTrain (when it is operating) to get from the EWR terminals to EWR Rail Station.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by catgirl

Yes. Elaborate
AirTrain takes you from terminals to Newark Airport train station. From Newark Airport train station you can board NJ Transit to NY Penn Station (typically 1-2 stops). You should never take Amtrak for this trip unless you intention and ticketed to ride Amtrak onwards to Boston or CT.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by st1575
New Jersey Transit now has a page describing its shuttle services from Newark Penn Station.
Wait a minute. Are these clowns still requiring purchase of access fee to board this shuttle bus?
One would pay 12.50 from NY Penn to NWK Penn to shuttle bus vs.
Pay $5 from NY Penn to NWK Penn to 62? I know 62 is local but a difference of 10 minutes tops? Bus is 1.50?

Nice 6.50 profit NJ Transit.
Old Apr 12, 2014, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Wait a minute. Are these clowns still requiring purchase of access fee to board this shuttle bus?
One would pay 12.50 from NY Penn to NWK Penn to shuttle bus vs.
Pay $5 from NY Penn to NWK Penn to 62? I know 62 is local but a difference of 10 minutes tops? Bus is 1.50?

Nice 6.50 profit NJ Transit.
Great that you exposed that! NJ Transit also included this beauty:

Customers using shuttle bus service between NPS and Newark Liberty International Airport are strongly advised to allow for extra travel time and to expect possible delays. Customers may want to consider alternate means of travel to and from the airport if possible.
Even THEY don't recommend or advocate using their service with the $6.50 markup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.