Reload this Page >

AirTrain Newark will be suspended for 75 days beginning May 1, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AirTrain Newark will be suspended for 75 days beginning May 1, 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2014, 7:59 am

Will be taking the #62 or Shuttle bus from Newark Penn early afternoon. Friend took shuttle last week (afternoon), said it was fine 10min wait and 10 - 15 to terminal. Will update after an early afternoon try.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:29 am

Data Update

Wed 4PM
Newark Penn station to EWR (Terminal B)
got airtran Shuttle Bus waited about 5 min to fill up. Some rush hour traffic to EWR.
took about 20 -25 min total from getting off NJTransit train to Terminal B .

Tues 4:20PM
EWR (terminal B) to Newark Penn train station.

After finding correct shuttle by employee busing area, waited about 5-10 minutes to fill bus. stopped at terminal C to get a few more passengers. Got to NJT at 4:47

25- 30 min total
Old Jun 4, 2014, 3:27 pm

Since I need to travel by train down to New Brunswick, how crazy would it be to catch a cab to the North Elizabeth Train Station from EWR?
Old Jun 4, 2014, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Dyeliad
Since I need to travel by train down to New Brunswick, how crazy would it be to catch a cab to the North Elizabeth Train Station from EWR?
Unless you're in a real hurry, just catch a southbound #62 bus to Elizabeth station, and catch your NJ Transit train there. (I believe that North Elizabeth has less service than Elizabeth.)
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:55 am

Yes a bunch of trains Skip the NORTH Elizabeth station. Check the schedule.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
If you're willing to pay a bit extra, UberX is only $65 to/from Manhattan. It was very much worth it on my last trip in and out of EWR. I plan to use it again in a few weeks for my other trip to TUL. Of course, that may not be the best for everyone, but for me, time = money...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:19 am
In memoriam

Programs: United
I took the shuttle between Newark Penn Station to EWR,, Terminal C, recently on a Monday at about 10 am. Process was simple, and took about 40 minutes. Return trip at about 6 pm on a Friday was also simple, but the bus got caught in rush hour traffic and took about an hour. I still made my train, though it was very close. Allow plenty of time, and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My experience last week going terminal to rental car:

To some extent, I was looking forward to it. I was traveling with lots of bags, and the schlep from bag claim to Airtrain to rental car was always a hassle. But panynj did what they could to make the bus experience pretty painful too...

- We were the 1st of 3 stops before getting to the parking/rental car area.
- The bus stops aren't easy curbside ones where the bus can pull out forward. They're angled parking where the bus has to back out of the spot; even in the late evening with minimal traffic, this seemed to be an adventure each time.
- The bus itself was not configured for airport travel: there was very little bag storage space; folks had bags all through the aisle, blocking others. The rear seats were up a few steps, further inconveniencing those not traveling light.
- On the plus side, each stop had employees assisting with bag loading and unloading.
- The web site FAQ says "Is there a set schedule for the buses that I need to follow?
No, the buses are intended to mirror the type of service that the AirTrain provides and will operate on a "load and go" basis." But my bus waited a while at each stop, at least 5 minutes at the 2nd stop. By the time we got to the 3rd stop, there were a lot of folks waiting there, the bus filled up, and several folks were turned away to wait for the next one.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Sounds like you were at Terminal A??

Future folks may wish to learn from this experience and try to approach things differently.

If you are traveling with a family or multiple adults.
Person A - can walk to main rental cars from Terminal A (in about 7 minutes).
PErson B - can collect bags and sit in baggage claim
PErson A - can rent the car, drive out of lot and return to Terminal A and pick up waiting passengers and bags without wasting time or hassle with bus/shuttle service.

You can do the same with Terminal B (but depends on weather and how quickly you walk).
If you are renting from Budget, Alamo - the above will not work as it is much further vs. the major rental agencies.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: United, American, Delta, AmEx MRs
Shuttle bus or cab from Newark Penn to EWR?

My husband and I are taking Amtrak from Baltimore to EWR next Friday, as we have a flight to Israel leaving EWR at 10.50 pm. We are on the 4.29 pm train from Baltimore, due to arrive at Newark Penn around 7 pm. We also booked the $5 shuttle bus from Newark Penn to EWR, which according to Amtrak's site will take 50 minutes! I'm curious whether i) folks think it will really take that long (granted, it's Fri evening); ii) we would be faster taking a cab (and the likely fare); and iii) whether there are likely to be cabs at Newark Penn. Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by jlo3603
My husband and I are taking Amtrak from Baltimore to EWR next Friday, as we have a flight to Israel leaving EWR at 10.50 pm. We are on the 4.29 pm train from Baltimore, due to arrive at Newark Penn around 7 pm. We also booked the $5 shuttle bus from Newark Penn to EWR, which according to Amtrak's site will take 50 minutes! I'm curious whether i) folks think it will really take that long (granted, it's Fri evening); ii) we would be faster taking a cab (and the likely fare); and iii) whether there are likely to be cabs at Newark Penn. Thanks.
When you say $5 shuttle bus? This is the NJ Transit/Airlinke service? Outside of waiting time for the bus - it will take exactly the same amount of time as a cab to get to airport. The difference - the bus will stop at Terminal A, B, C so depending on your drop off (I assume Terminal B) you add a few more minutes. A cab for the same route will cost maybe $30. As long as Amtrak is not delay you should be fine.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:38 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
So any updates on the maintenance? On schedule to re open in "Mid-July"?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ted
So any updates on the maintenance? On schedule to re open in "Mid-July"?
I'm curious too. I'm flying out of EWR on July 27th and will be in New York that day.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 5:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Smile

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Hope it worked out.. I find EWR lounges specifically United (especially on weekends) more like a day-care center (families/kids everywhere) with grandmothers swiping mass quantities of food/snacks not only for flight but to feed their village.

During early mornings it is more tolerable (as less international departures and more business clientele).
Too funny!
At least they have showers!!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Wandering Aramean reports that normal service is restored, ahead of schedule.

NJ.com confirms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.