FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Luggage on Subway (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1386096-luggage-subway.html)

annihilistic Sep 10, 2012 8:09 am

Luggage on Subway

Hey guys, newbie here.

I'm going to NYC in November. I'll be arriving on a Thursday at 4:30pm. I'm thinking of taking the subway to the place I'm staying (haven't decided whether it's Queens or Brooklyn). The problem is, I figured that by the time I get to the subway, it'll be peak hour. I'm going to be by myself with 2 small suitcases.

Should I take a shuttle bus instead? The subway is so much cheaper, but I don't want to get in anyone's way or take up too much room.

Thanks!

dhammer53 Sep 10, 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by annihilistic (Post 19287358)
The subway is so much cheaper, but I don't want to get in anyone's way or take up too much room.

This won't be a problem as we (New Yorkers) won't care about you or your luggage. ;)

Welcome to Flyertalk annihilistic.

Blumie Sep 10, 2012 8:37 am

Originally Posted by dhammer53 (Post 19287400)
This won't be a problem as we (New Yorkers) won't care about you or your luggage. ;)

Welcome to Flyertalk annihilistic.

Agreed.

RooseveltL Sep 10, 2012 11:08 am

You didn't indicate which airport you are flying into so I'll make some assumption:

JFK/LGA - you will be commuting against rush hour until you enter Manhattan so should find a seat or find a spot near the end of the train cart (avoiding too many entering/exiting passengers). In your favor if arriving JFK - you board the A or E at the beginning of its trip so it should be empty (allowing you to stay away from the doors with your bags).
EWR - you will arrive Manhattan either WTC or Penn Station - both can be overwhelming and you might try the local train instead of the Express which may have less passengers (unless taking a # train which will be crowded either way).

Do not place bags on the seats as other passengers and/or police might complain. Enjoy your trip - you will probably see at minimum 1-2 other passengers with suitcase/luggage on the same train as it is the fastest commute during rush hour.

Additionally, if you are going to Brooklyn or Queens from LGA/JFK - you may skip Manhattan via crosstown or A line so shouldn't encounter the rush-hour crowd despite your arrival time.

Apieinthesky Sep 10, 2012 11:59 am

I think you should worry more about whether you will be able to handle two suitcases while standing in a crowded and moving train (Not saying you can't. Just a thought), than getting in other people's way. I don't tend to care about people with luggage on the trains; it's usually amusing to watch tourists. If you're blocking the door that would be annoying, but otherwise, don't worry about it.

JFK is much easier for the subway. I agree with RooseveltL that being near the beginning of the line (either A or E) will make it easier for you to find seats (there isn't too much room for luggage, so I hope your suitcases are small enough).

From LGA, the 7 line (from the Q48) is generally a mess all the time. The queens bound E/F at Roosevelt Ave., (from Q33) and even the local lines, will be very, very crowded during PM rush hour. M60 to Manhattan probably doesn't make sense for you. Those are the main three bus lines I'm familiar with from LGA.

EWR is also not fun, but it's doable. I think if you are able to easily handle all your luggage, subway/bus should be ok, especially from JFK.

lavedder Sep 10, 2012 12:11 pm

Can you manage 2 bags with stairs too? That is one reason I'd rather spend money on transportation and save elsewhere.

M60_to_LGA Sep 10, 2012 12:26 pm

I've travelled with luggage on the subways and buses at all hours of the day and night - it might be a tight fit on the train, but you shouldn't worry about it. Just remember, if you're scrunched up against the doors, to let people get in and out of the subway car when you get to a station :)

Belive me, people ride the subway with all sorts of suitcases and humongous bags all the time.

Track Sep 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA (Post 19289038)
I've travelled with luggage on the subways and buses at all hours of the day and night - it might be a tight fit on the train, but you shouldn't worry about it. Just remember, if you're scrunched up against the doors, to let people get in and out of the subway car when you get to a station :)

Belive me, people ride the subway with all sorts of suitcases and humongous bags all the time.

I've seen people with chairs, bookcases, carts with huge piles of ?, broken bicycles, small refrigerators, etc. on the subway. Don't worry, but, as the other posters have said, don't get into the way of people wanting to board or alight from the train.

mjm Sep 10, 2012 6:39 pm

Will be fine except for the fact that NY has no escalators. Elevators are scarce. The subway is ancient an of such incredibly poor comfort (they really need to upgrade it. A true embarrassment that no dedicated airport train exists from the main stations.) I would recommend steeling your self for that more than or the possible inconvenience to others wit the bags. The station ticket gates have a door adjacent for wheelchairs etc. and you can use that by putting your ticket in the immediately adjacent ticket barrier, retrieve your ticket and then just open the door and use that.

Apieinthesky Sep 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by mjm (Post 19291068)
The station ticket gates have a door adjacent for wheelchairs etc. and you can use that by putting your ticket in the immediately adjacent ticket barrier, retrieve your ticket and then just open the door and use that.

For someone who has never been to NYC before, what mjm is talking about here is that in most subway stations, the entry points onto the platform are these little turnstiles that are very easy to get luggage entangled in (and I see many non-New Yorkers having problems swiping the flimsy plastic MetroCard at just the right speed for the turnstile to accept it).

The wheelchair door is a larger gate where you could walk through carrying your luggage. I don't think I've ever used this gate for entry like this, but I thought that you had to ask the person in the booth to let you use. I didn't know that you could swipe at the adjacent turnstile to use it. The only times I've used it is when the I swiped at the turnstile with a student or unlimited card, had some sort of problem, and then couldn't use my card again right away. I asked the person at the booth to let me through.

lavedder Sep 10, 2012 7:35 pm

Me too. Never knew you could put your ticket in the adjacent machine. I've always asked the booth person. Do all stations have wheelchair gates?
I am a small female, can't lift my bag above the turnstile to go through.

Analise Sep 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by mjm (Post 19291068)
Will be fine except for the fact that NY has no escalators.

In the deeper subway stations, there certainly are escalators. You don't spend much time taking subways to come up with a statement like that. Mine has a set of escalators at both ends of the platform.

The subway is ancient an of such incredibly poor comfort (they really need to upgrade it.
Where is your local 24 hour subway system? Have you been on the new R160s which are used on the E, F, M, J, N, and Q trains. What about the new R143 on the L? The new R142 on the 2, 4, 5 or 6? Crowds are there during rush hour but the subway is MUCH better than it used to be.

A true embarrassment that no dedicated airport train exists from the main stations.
What are the "main stations"? :D The embarrassment belongs to you.

Analise Sep 10, 2012 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by lavedder (Post 19291326)
Me too. Never knew you could put your ticket in the adjacent machine. I've always asked the booth person. Do all stations have wheelchair gates?
I am a small female, can't lift my bag above the turnstile to go through.

No problem. You have two options:

1. You can push your luggage under the turnstile which is very easy to do unless you have some oversized luggage for which an airline would overcharge you.

2. There is "emergency" door. You tell the person by the window who will tell you to swipe at the turnstile nearest the emergency door. Then you will can open the door and go right through. Leaving the subway, just open the emergency door and go right through. That's what I do.

mjm Sep 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 19291335)
In the deeper subway stations, there certainly are escalators. You don't spend much time taking subways to come up with a statement like that. Mine has a set of escalators at both ends of the platform.

Where is your local 24 hour subway system? Have you been on the new R160s which are used on the E, F, M, J, N, and Q trains. What about the new R143 on the L? The new R142 on the 2, 4, 5 or 6? Crowds are there during rush hour but the subway is MUCH better than it used to be.

What are the "main stations"? :D The embarrassment belongs to you.

Amusing reply. About what I would expect from a NY subway rider trying valiantly to defend an antiquated and uncomfortable system.

The subway system I ride most often is in Tokyo. The finest on the planet, but I am only including NY, London, Paris, HKG, Shanghai, Vienna, Singapore, San Francisco, Chicago, Washington DC, and Boston in that comparison so am likely missing something. ;)

If all stations do not have escalators and elevators (or at the very least station personnel assisted motorized stair climbing chairs) the entire subway system is not up to a satisfactory standard, Should a wheelchair bound person be restricted by any station? I think not. Your example makes my point, One does not make a list of stations with escalators, one expects them all to have them.

Have I ridden new trains in NYC? Why yes, as recently as last month. While I agree they are far better than in past, in fact compared to before they may be terrific, but compared to what is possible they are a joke.

Still though, why no dedicated airport train with appropriate luggage space, direct access to the terminal buildings and no stops between midtown and the airport? I would say that is rather exceptional when compared to other major cities around the world. What exists now is akin to the Piccadilly Line in London.

Regardless of your obvious love and passion for the city, the embarrassment is owned entirely by NYC on this one.

mjm Sep 10, 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 19291358)
No problem. You have two options:

1. You can push your luggage under the turnstile which is very easy to do unless you have some oversized luggage for which an airline would overcharge you.

2. There is "emergency" door. You tell the person by the window who will tell you to swipe at the turnstile nearest the emergency door. Then you will can open the door and go right through. Leaving the subway, just open the emergency door and go right through. That's what I do.

:) A modern system with turnstiles? I had a chuckle at that. Modern systems have barriers which retract to either side and allow bags to be rolled through. A standard 62 linear inch bag for which an airline will not charge extra does not fit easily at all through the turnstiles. The door adjacent as we have both described it is really the best option. Odd that a better option does not exist but such is the age and functionality of the system. ;)