Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Will 104 mins be sufficient to connect SIN-DXB-JFK (EK) to JFK-BUF (B6) (JFK T4-T5)

Will 104 mins be sufficient to connect SIN-DXB-JFK (EK) to JFK-BUF (B6) (JFK T4-T5)

Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone i need some help here.

I am arriving from SIN-DXB-JFk at 1415 with emirates and i have a JEt blue flight at 1559 hours.

I am on student Visa and its a ticket purchase from Emirates combining with Jet blue.

I will like to know if there is sufficient time and what are the procedures for clearing of immigration and baggage collection

THANK YOU!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:36 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Shaun Koh! You've come to the right place, indeed.

I've added some more info to your thread title so that some of our JFK experts can assist you with your question.

/Moderator

(I suspect this will be tight, as you'll need to clear immigration and customs upon arrival in Terminal 4, then transfer from JFK T4 to T5 via the Airtrain, then recheck your baggage there, and then finally reclear security at T5.)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Shaun Koh

I am arriving from SIN-DXB-JFk at 1415 with emirates and i have a JEt blue flight at 1559 hours.

I am on student Visa and its a ticket purchase from Emirates combining with Jet blue.

I will like to know if there is sufficient time and what are the procedures for clearing of immigration and baggage collection

THANK YOU!
Sufficient time? Not with baggage checked in. Pack tightly so you don't have to check in your luggage or change your Jetblue flight to a later time. If you're a student, you might not have the status to sit close to the front thus you might have to wait a while to be able to disembark. Then there are the immigration lines which can take quite a bit of time. The one thing you can control is not checking any luggage.

See if you can change your Jetblue flight to a later time. Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the information!

I will like to check even though my Jet blue ticket was purchase through Emirates, my baggages are unable to check all the through to Buffalo?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:52 pm

thanks for the information!

I will like to check even though my Jet blue ticket was purchase through Emirates, my baggages are unable to check all the through to Buffalo?
You still have to collect your bags from the baggage carousel to go through immigration/customs. That can waste a lot of time. You'll also have to wait at security at Terminal 5. Forgot to mention that earlier. If you insist on checking in your luggage, you risk not making your flight to BUF. Up to you.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If Emirates has an interline-baggage agreement with Jet Blue, you should be able to check your bags through to BUF. You would collect them at JFK, clear customs, and then re-check your bags at the T4 bag drop right after customs, before taking the AirTrain over to T5.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:47 pm

THANK YOU!
I would say no as you're going to be on a plane with a significant number of non-citizens in immigration as well as other flights arriving at a similar time. It could take you the whole 104 minutes just to clear immigration. And no CBP does not give priority to connecting passengers.

BTW you collect your baggage after passing through immigration.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I think that if its the same reservation I don't think you need to worry too much, as Jetblue will probably accommodate you even if you're late on the next available flight. There seems to be 3 more flights after the 4 PM flight, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

thanks for all the info!

Analise- i am international student so i dont think i can travel w/o any check in baggage

guv1976- you mentioned about re-check at T4 bag drop. So i do not go out after customs and head to a transit area where i check my bag and collect my boarding pass from Jet Blue? Since i purchased the Jet blue ticket from Emirates i believe they have interline-baggage agreement?

When dropping my baggage for check in do i have to go through all the security checks for my check-in baggage or just the hand carry?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You will re-check your baggage in T4 after clearing customs. You will then be landside, will take a "Jamaica" or "Howard Beach" AirTrain one stop to T5, and go through security there to get to your JetBlue gate. I'm not sure if Emirates will issue your JetBlue boarding pass in SIN, whether you'll get it at the re-check desk in T4, or whether you'll have to wait until you arrive at T5 to get it. Emirates might be able to better advise you about this.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:04 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does JetBlue have interline baggage agreements with anyone? I thought that was rare or even non-existent for LCCs.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 7:27 am

Analise- i am international student so i dont think i can travel w/o any check in baggage
Ok. Then I suggest you change your Jetblue flight to a later time unless as closetasfan mentioned, Jetblue will automatically put you on a later flight if you miss your plane. Verify that Jetblue will in fact do this before you travel. Don't make assumptions.

What is your backup plan if your Emirates flight is late? Again, verify what Jetblue does.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Does JetBlue have interline baggage agreements with anyone?
Yes, they do. They have interline baggage and ticketing agreements with a couple dozen carriers. They also have FF reciprocity in one form or another with at least two programs.

The OP might make the connection and they might not. If not JetBlue should get you on the next available flight.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:14 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Personally, while there are always misconnect risks when traveling, I always prefer to book a long enough connection that I feel I can probably make smoothly, rather than trying to squeeze in a tight one with a significant risk of misconnecting.

The problem is that, even though you will get booked on a later flight if you misconnect, it might not be the next flight, and it might not even be on the same day if flights are full. It's no fun sitting on the standby list for multiple successive flights and not making any of them. Then if you do clear the standby list, odds are higher that you'll end up with middle seat in the back of the plane than if you had just booked the later connection to begin with. Also, even if you make the tight connection, your checked baggage may not. YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
I believe the OP would have to check-in at the JetBlue counter upon arrival at JFK. Since JetBlue's minimum check in time is 60 minutes at JFK, with or without luggage, I would say that the OP's best bet is to change the JFK-BUF flight to a later time as 44 minutes is not enough time to clear immigration and get to another terminal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.