Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Best Lounge at EWR Airport, Newark, NJ - Service, Comfort, Luxury, Bar/Food, Showers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lounge at EWR Airport, Newark, NJ - Service, Comfort, Luxury, Bar/Food, Showers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if this doesn't belong here, but I was unsure where else to post this topic. It certainly doesn't fit in the New York City destination forum. I figured those travelers within the Luxury Hotels category would be of most help.

I will be arriving via layover in Newark, NJ following a tedious 8-hour long flight from SFO. I will be with my girlfriend and we will both be exhausted from a full day of traveling. We arrive on Satuday, August 11th at 7:43 pm and depart again for TLV at 10:50 pm. We're flying United for both legs.

That is roughly a 3hr + layover in Newark.

I am a member of numerous airline loyalty programs, and it's my understanding that quite a few (AA, Delta, BA, etc) offer member's lounge access in the Newark airport. I've never been to EWR before, let alone any of the airline lounges and would greatly appreciate the advice of members on this forum.

I would like to register in advance for any airline program that I'm not currently a member of, which would offer access to the most preferred lounge area in the airport. I would love to be able to take a leisurely shower being the end of the day (and prior to another 13-15 hour long flight), have a decent meal, a few cocktails, perhaps lay down and relax in comfort with my girlfriend before departing again on the next leg of our trip.

Could anyone here recommend the best flight lounge in EWR for these luxuries and conveniences? We will have roughly 3hrs and are arriving at Terminal C, if that makes any difference; I doubt it should.

Is there anywhere to shower and lounge comfortably within the Newark airport? Is there a private flight lounge that offers good drinks and decent food/snacks (as compared to the usual airport fare) and most importantly, a comfortable and luxurious space to stretch out and unwind while awaiting our next trip?

Thanks so much for any advice or suggestions; it's much appreciated!!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the problem is access to "best" lounges...

what do you have access to, and what sells access.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 6, 2012 at 2:00 pm
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the problem is access to "best" lounges...

first you have to know what you have access to, and then what sells access.
Most flight lounges will grant access in exchange for cash and membership.

This is why I'd like to know in advance what the best options are, so that I could sign up for their benefits and/or make arrangements prior to flying.

Thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the "best" lounges do not
with occasional exceptions being status (sometimes top/invite tier)
you can buy star alliance gold by buying US gold tier

although im always curious about offerings via airport VIP
for USA, AA five star seems like only bookable VIP offering

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 7, 2012 at 12:08 pm
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe I am being cynical here, but it is hard for me to imagine a "luxury-level" lounge anywhere in or near EWR. Also, for those lounges that are airside (most), you can't commonly get to them just because you're a member, you need an appropriate boarding pass too.

I also disagree with the OP as to the placement for this thread. I think it it best belongs in the NYC forum so I am going to move it there, although for just three hours, I'd say the OP should just go to the United Club or IFL (if travelling first class) and leave it at that.

Thanks,
RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels

P.S. It's hard to imagine a nonstop from SFO-EWR taking 8 hours as the OP states.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
i think a day pass to the United club will work just fine
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
IIRC, EWR doesn't have an IFL in terminal C - remember that EWR is a pre-merger Continental hub, and Continental hasn't had an international "First" service since the very early 90s. IFLs are generally found at pre-merger United hubs like SFO or ORD.

If the OP is flying an all-UA itinerary, I'm afraid they're out of luck in a number of departments:
1) You're going to be limited to the United Club locations in Terminal C. There are LH & SK lounges in Terminal B departures, but because EWR is not fully-interconnected post-security, you won't have access to those lounges.
2) Only UA, US, *G or a GlobalFirst/BusinessFirst ticket will get you into the United Club for free. (I think there might still be a level of PriorityPass that will work as well - I think it has to be a paid membership, and not one provided as a benefit.)
3) Don't expect anything approaching luxury in the United Club, although there are showers available in at least one of the clubs in C. (You can find more detail on this in the UA forum.)

BTW - SFO-EWR should only take about 5.5-6 hours, tops. Remember to account for the time difference between Pacific (GMT -8) and Eastern time (GMT -5).
Old Aug 7, 2012, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
OP... the United Club in terminal C should be adequate for your needs. However, don't expect luxury. It's perfectly fine for a shower, some snacks and drinks. BUT, you will not get a meal there. There are several restaurants in the terminal for a decent meal that's not fast food.

Please consider that you only have 3 hours between flights. And you will have to go through quite heavy screening before you can board the TLV flight. You will not have enough time to do all you say. I believe UA asks you arrive earlier than most other flights because of that additional screening.

As others have said, if you're flying in BF on UA, your access to the lounge will be free.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Critic
EWR is not fully-interconnected post-security
again, access

there are showers available in at least one of the clubs in C
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx
C3 has showers
C1 does not

buy access >
$100 one time
$475 annual ($395 via chase mileage plus club visa signature credit card)
there is a $120 90-day from US, does it work exactly the same?
Originally Posted by Mary2e
only have 3 hours...heavy screening before you can board the TLV flight

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 9, 2012 at 11:55 am
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:07 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
To the OP: just to be clear, merely having membership in a frequent flyer program will not gain you access to the lounges, you must be in business or first class (international) or have at least gold status with them. What class of service are you flying?

So you may have to buy a one time, one use membership, which as a previous poster stated, will cost $100.00 for the two of you for the United Club.

If you enter the club in the morning the food will consist of cereal, bagels, mini muffins and bananas.
Later in the day, they will have crackers and cheese, cookies, pretzels and apples. So not enough for a meal.
Also free beer, wine and cocktails.

As far as doing anything in advance, United no longer offers to option to purchase a one time pass online, you would have to do it at the door. You might want to consider checking out ebay, where people frequently sell United Club passes.

Last edited by rittenhousesq; Aug 7, 2012 at 11:18 am
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There are LH & SK lounges in Terminal B departures, but because EWR is not fully-interconnected post-security, you won't have access to those lounges.
Even if the OP did have access to that lounge it isn't really worth it. Slightly more food choices but also quite hot and crowded. Self-pour booze but the stuff at the United Club is basically the same quality.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
EWR: can I access terminal B lounges from terminal C during AirTrain downtime?

Good afternoon

I think that in the past, agents have checked boarding passes on the inter-terminal shuttle buses to make sure that people are not going to the wrong gates (which was bad for people wanting to use terminal B lounges instead of the UC).

While the AirTrain is down and there is a replacement bus, will it be possible to do this or will there still be some kind of check?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2014, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by philhayes
While the AirTrain is down and there is a replacement bus, will it be possible to do this or will there still be some kind of check?
This shuttle bus is outside of security so no checks. But you have to deal with the TSA again.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
This shuttle bus is outside of security so no checks. But you have to deal with the TSA again.
Also, remember that the bus to B is presumably a one-way trip; since anything going out of that pier in B would be an international outbound, there would be no airside connections, so the bus would only drop pax at B - there'd be no pickups for A/C.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium

Just a quick follow-up.

Checked in at Terminal C, walked across to Terminal B and had no problem going through security to use the LH lounge. They didn't even ask what I was doing. Heading back to C for my flight took about 15 minutes from lounge to lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.