Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

Travel from Manhattan to JFK - How long?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel from Manhattan to JFK - How long?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
The horrible to hear the good alternative of Queens Blvd to Woodhaven or LIE/Woodhaven out has become a normal route. Thanks for FYI.

Additional comments to this thread if starting from lower Manhattan via Williamsburgh (all local but guarantees arrival in less than an hour) -
Metropolitan Ave during rush hour is sequence lighting so it is LONG local but will get one to Woodhaven and roughly less than an hour to JFK.

Alternate to this - Williamsburgh to Bushwick Ave/Penn Ave to Atlantic/Conduit. There are multiple shortcuts in this method to get around the major intersections (e.g. Penn & Atlantic) - this last one during rush hour seems long (lots of pot holes and erratic driving) but actually quite speedy.

These work best during evening rush hour M-F and wouldn't suggest any other time as without the time streetlights for traffic flow it is too inefficient.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonor PM; Hyatt Dia;Marriott PP; Delta PM
We got in the taxi at Lexington and 48th at 4:00. We asked the driver to take the Queens Blvd to Woodhaven route. Traffic was the worst I have seen it in NYC in some time. We arrived at the airport 5:55. We arrived at the SkyPriority check-in desk at 6:10... Just in time to beat the 60 minute window. It was a little to close for comfort, but thank you all for the advice.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Estimate of most of your time wasted (worse than anticipated) in Manhattan, Queens Blvd or Woodhaven or it was all a cluster? Public Trans the way to go based on your testimony!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aclar08
We got in the taxi at Lexington and 48th at 4:00. We asked the driver to take the Queens Blvd to Woodhaven route. Traffic was the worst I have seen it in NYC in some time.
That's why you were advised to take the subway. Who needs the stress?

We arrived at the airport 5:55. We arrived at the SkyPriority check-in desk at 6:10... Just in time to beat the 60 minute window. It was a little to close for comfort, but thank you all for the advice.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 4:51 pm

How do you guys feel about taking a shuttle service van from the hotel to JFK? I've seen they are for $21, a shared one. You put in the time of the flight, so I guess they won't be late, as they are specifically going to the airport for that particular flight time. And it's cheaper than a taxi, with a pickup from hotel also. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 19, 2012, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by NBThing
How do you guys feel about taking a shuttle service van from the hotel to JFK? I've seen they are for $21, a shared one. You put in the time of the flight, so I guess they won't be late, as they are specifically going to the airport for that particular flight time. And it's cheaper than a taxi, with a pickup from hotel also. Any thoughts?
Hate it. You might be stopping at hotel after hotel after hotel before they head to JFK. They will probably pick you up early to do that. Then if you're going to Terminal 7, the driver might do the terminals in numerical order. That said, if you're traveling on a Friday after lunch, the shuttle will be stuck just as car service will be stuck in traffic.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Hate it. You might be stopping at hotel after hotel after hotel before they head to JFK. They will probably pick you up early to do that. Then if you're going to Terminal 7, the driver might do the terminals in numerical order. That said, if you're traveling on a Friday after lunch, the shuttle will be stuck just as car service will be stuck in traffic.
Well I don't really mind stopping a lot if they get there on time. I assume they always get on time if they do this on a daily basis many times a day. What do you think? It's cheaper than taxi, and it's less hassle then going by bus/train/metro/etc.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Where are you staying? These services can also be gamed. For instance, anecdotal evidence suggests that for trips to LGA they tend to do west-side pickups first and then east-side pickups on their way East to the airport. This would make sense so they don't have to criss-cross Manhattan multiple times. So, if you happen to be staying on the east side, you may want to gamble that you'll be one of the last pickups.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 7:52 am

Well I don't really mind stopping a lot if they get there on time. I assume they always get on time if they do this on a daily basis many times a day. What do you think? It's cheaper than taxi, and it's less hassle then going by bus/train/metro/etc.
The subway and Airtrain to me aren't hassles; they are easy and inexpensive. Best combination IMHO. Whenever I travel to major cities, I use their public transportation. Being stuck on a van sitting in traffic as it goes from one hotel to another is a hassle.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:52 am

The problem with the shuttle service is the inordinate amount of additional time they tack on for being sure they get you there on time. For instance, if the OP had requested a shuttle pick up it probably would have recommended a pick up time of 2:00 pm. When I tried once it estimated a 3:00 am pick up for a 7:00 am flight out of JFK which is ridiculous. You can probably save an our on that estimate if you're close to midtown on hop on the NYC Airporter.

It is definitely less of a hassle than public transit if you have many bags or just don't like carry suitcases around the subway which is a major pain, especially on the east side E trains which are deep underground. The OP probably just wanted to get his luggage in a car and not have to lug it around everywhere with him. The problem with taking the Woodhaven/Queens Blvd route is that its a major surface street. Usually it's a little quicker to take the 495 out to the GCP and then the service road/Linden Blvd.

If you have carry on and are fairly able bodied the Subway/AirTrain is convenient and timely but if not there are a number of alternatives which just take extra time. Unless of course its a Saturday afternoon in which case traffic is almost non-existent. Midtown to T7 in 20 minutes last weekend.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aclar08
We got in the taxi at Lexington and 48th at 4:00. We asked the driver to take the Queens Blvd to Woodhaven route. Traffic was the worst I have seen it in NYC in some time. We arrived at the airport 5:55. We arrived at the SkyPriority check-in desk at 6:10... Just in time to beat the 60 minute window. It was a little to close for comfort, but thank you all for the advice.
ok, so that was my "bad" case scenario. At least you took my advice and left at 4.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:36 pm

Midtown to JFK.

Hi. First timers to the big apple. We have a 9:30 flight out of T8 and I believe we need to be at JFK by 6:30pm to clear security screening etc. Staying at W57 Street and 10th. Looking at taxi (flat rate). Too much luggage and hassle to use buses and trains. Happy to pay the flat rate plus tips and tolls. Any thoughts on time we should leave hotel? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Flight from JFK (T4) 11:15am this Friday. Staying upper east side (~56th). Recommendations on what time to leave? Luggage, so probably an uber or taxi.

I'm generally comfortable getting to airport 120 minutes before departure, unless security will be a mess. Have elite status, but Pre-Check not available on this airline. (I haven't flown out of JFK in 25+ years)
Old Jun 11, 2018, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Flight from JFK (T4) 11:15am this Friday. Staying upper east side (~56th). Recommendations on what time to leave? Luggage, so probably an uber or taxi.

I'm generally comfortable getting to airport 120 minutes before departure, unless security will be a mess. Have elite status, but Pre-Check not available on this airline. (I haven't flown out of JFK in 25+ years)
To get there at 9:15 in a car means leaving around 8, I'd guess. Or get there at 9:45 by leaving at 9. I'd do the latter.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by sbm12
To get there at 9:15 in a car means leaving around 8, I'd guess. Or get there at 9:45 by leaving at 9. I'd do the latter.
I don't think it will take 30 minutes longer at 8 than it will at 9. But I think 8:30 is a perfectly comfortable time to leave to arrive at JFK around 9 or 9:15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.