Woman drops trousers on Subway train after giant rat runs up leg

Subscribe
Woman drops trousers on Subway train after giant rat runs up leg

I know that NYC rats are a storied breed, but, much to my surprise, I have not seen one when in NYC - be it on the street, subway, hotel, etc.
I am not certain how I'd react, but I'm pretty sure that I would FREAK OUT!

Anyone experience aggressive rodents before?

Quote:
A New York hotel supervisor was forced to drop her trousers on a busy Subway train after a giant rat ran up her leg.

Ana Vargas, 40, was on a train coming into the Columbus Circle station at around 7.50am on Friday when the brazen rodent lunged.
In NYC, this is the year of the rat no matter what the Chinese calendar says. With the 2nd Ave subway construction causing the rats to surface, it can only be worse.

The news two nights ago showed a piece on rats on the A and C by Columbus Circle. So where is their source that is causing them to surface?

The west side also is enduring a mosquito infestation by Riverside Park in the 80s.
Quote: In NYC, this is the year of the rat no matter what the Chinese calendar says. With the 2nd Ave subway construction causing the rats to surface, it can only be worse.

The news two nights ago showed a piece of rats on the A and C by Columbus Circle. So where is their source that is causing them to surface?

The west side also is enduring a mosquito infestation by Riverside Park in the 80s.
ACK! I'll keep this in mind when I'm in NYC next month!
I've seen plenty of rats all over the city, but never seen one lunge (as the article puts it) at a person. I do not blame that poor woman for dropping trou.

The "Related Articles" links are hilarious-- I'm not sure the rat incident is really on par with being attacked by a cheetah or a bear:

British tourist attacked by cheetahs at South African game park

Wild bear attacks man relaxing in hot tub at Whistler ski resort
Quote:
Anyone experience aggressive rodents before?

Only the ones employed by TSA.

Quote: In NYC, this is the year of the rat no matter what the Chinese calendar says. With the 2nd Ave subway construction causing the rats to surface, it can only be worse.

The news two nights ago showed a piece of rats on the A and C by Columbus Circle. So where is their source that is causing them to surface?

We have raccoons and opossums in Brooklyn. Yikes! I suppose it's better than bears.
95% of the time when I see a rat in the subway it's down on the tracks where there's way it's going to bother any people (except straphangers who are so freaked out by rats that the mere site of one makes them shriek).

Occasionally I've seen them on the platforms, where they're usually scurrying between holes in the wall or garbage receptacles, doing their best to stay as far away from people as possible. I once saw a dying rat lying on the platform that didn't seem able to run away. On another occasion, I had one run towards me until it got within a few feet. As soon as I moved, though, it froze, reconsidered, and ran back to the nearest hiding place.

In this case, it sounds like the rat managed to get on a train, which I've never seen (pigeons, yes; rats, no). My guess is that it was far, far more afraid than she was, being on a crowded train full of people. It was probably looking for a nice dark place to hide when it ran up her pantleg. Then we she started moving, it probably started scratching trying to find a way back out. All speculation of course, but the idea that it "attacked" her seems unlikely.
Quote: 95% of the time when I see a rat in the subway it's down on the tracks where there's way it's going to bother any people (except straphangers who are so freaked out by rats that the mere site of one makes them shriek).

Occasionally I've seen them on the platforms, where they're usually scurrying between holes in the wall or garbage receptacles, doing their best to stay as far away from people as possible. I once saw a dying rat lying on the platform that didn't seem able to run away. On another occasion, I had one run towards me until it got within a few feet. As soon as I moved, though, it froze, reconsidered, and ran back to the nearest hiding place.

In this case, it sounds like the rat managed to get on a train, which I've never seen (pigeons, yes; rats, no). My guess is that it was far, far more afraid than she was, being on a crowded train full of people. It was probably looking for a nice dark place to hide when it ran up her pantleg. Then we she started moving, it probably started scratching trying to find a way back out. All speculation of course, but the idea that it "attacked" her seems unlikely.
I remember years ago when I lived in Battery Park the 1 train would always stop at Chambers Street and wait for the 2 or 3 connection. One night I was the only one in the car while the training was waiting. I was near the door and in front of the door was left out trash bags on the platform which were surrounded by a bunch of rats. Well all of sudden these little beatty eyes were staring at me. I had been told upon first moving to NYC never go near a rat and if cornerned don't try to move or they will attack, particularly if near their food source. So I just sat there frozen while they kept eyeing me. Finally, the train doors closed even though there was no connecting train (that would happen too, train just waits for no plausible explanation.)

I often wonder about the workers that take out that trash and why there are not more rat bites.
Maybe the rat smelled cheese.
Quote: ACK! I'll keep this in mind when I'm in NYC next month!
I think you'll be fine. The only rats I've seen (not including mob informants ) have been on the subway tracks. Maybe once or twice on the platform. They're smart. They know not to let their long tails touch the third rail.
I've seen some ROUS darting across the pavement at City Hall Park; think one ran across the foot of a person sitting on a bench.

Mosquitos, rats, what's next, a plague of frogs?
Quote: I think you'll be fine. The only rats I've seen (not including mob informants ) have been on the subway tracks. Maybe once or twice on the platform. They're smart. They know not to let their long tails touch the third rail.
Oh, I'm not worried....been to NYC many times and often use the Subway! I think it was the reported agressive nature of this one that stood out!
Rats!
I always see rats on the tracks, very rarely on the platform, and then usually by the garbage. Only once did I see one board the train. It was hysterical -- it ran into a crowded train, everyone screamed and ran out. The rat ran out too, so the few of us who stayed were able to get seats!
Quote: I always see rats on the tracks, very rarely on the platform, and then usually by the garbage. Only once did I see one board the train. It was hysterical -- it ran into a crowded train, everyone screamed and ran out. The rat ran out too, so the few of us who stayed were able to get seats!
Probably shows how much room really can be made in a train car!