FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   JFK Baggage transfer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1334935-jfk-baggage-transfer.html)

avagyan Apr 11, 2012 1:06 pm

JFK Baggage transfer

My cousin travels from EVN-SVO-JFK-MIA. There is a 10 hour wait in JFK and I'm meeting her there. I know that she has to pass border control and customs at JFK but..
Should we claim and drop-off the luggage at JFK or it can be arranged to be claimed at MIA? Does it matter if the terminals of arrival and departure are different?
We'd like if the luggage will fly to her final destination and customs will process her luggage at JFK without her being involved. I remember that was the case when I was flying through Canada.

Thanks.

magiciansampras Apr 11, 2012 1:08 pm

She's going to have to claim the luggage at JFK and then "recheck" it to Miami.

avagyan Apr 11, 2012 1:14 pm

thanks for answering. Do you know whats the reason behind that? All the airports without transit zone are like that?
What if the gap between the flights is shorter?
Is there a link?
Thanks

magiciansampras Apr 11, 2012 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by avagyan (Post 18374689)
thanks for answering. Do you know whats the reason behind that? All the airports without transit zone are like that?
Is there a link?
Thanks

How else is customs supposed to check the luggage if necessary? JFK-MIA is a domestic flight. If you don't claim your luggage then customs would never see it.

kwildnj Apr 11, 2012 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by avagyan (Post 18374689)
Is there a link?
Thanks

The problem lies in the fact that in most airports, as you exit Customs/Immigration, you are also exiting security. The connection time is irrevelent.

And as such, you have access to items which would be permitted as a checked bag, but not in a carryon. Things such as firearms come to mind.

While the bag will be claimed at JFK for customs/immigration purposes, the bag should be tagged in EVN all the way through to MIA. I am not familiar with JFK, but there may be a baggage recheck area immediately outside of customs, where the bag can be simply dropped and the passenger would be on their way.

I hope I have made some sense here.

avagyan Apr 11, 2012 2:35 pm

I was recently traveling BRU-YUL-LGA and I've passed US Borders and customs in Montreal, Canada. My bags automatically got transferred (I just identified on the screen that the bag belongs to me) and I didn't pass anything else in LGA.
Pretty cool, except they sold me Grey Goose on board without letting me know that I can't take it to LGA.

Thanks for your answers

magiciansampras Apr 11, 2012 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by avagyan (Post 18375261)
I was recently traveling BRU-YUL-LGA and I've passed US Borders and customs in Montreal, Canada. My bags automatically got transferred (I just identified on the screen that the bag belongs to me) and I didn't pass anything else in LGA.
Pretty cool, except they sold me Grey Goose on board without letting me know that I can't take it to LGA.

Thanks for your answers

USA-Canada is a bit of a special situation (there are a couple of other of cases like this, but certainly not for SVO-JFK :)).

avagyan Apr 11, 2012 2:59 pm

In my analogue
Belgium = Moscow
Montreal = JFK
LGA = Miami

I wasn’t comparing USA-Canada and USA-Russia

YUL has more "common sense" than JFK, IMO, but probably there is a reason which I don't know

wrp96 Apr 11, 2012 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by avagyan (Post 18375428)
In my analogue
Belgium = Moscow
Montreal = JFK
LGA = Miami

I wasn’t comparing USA-Canada and USA-Russia

YUL has more "common sense" than JFK, IMO, but probably there is a reason which I don't know

At JFK, everybody that arrives on an international flight has to be screened, doesn't matter the onward destination (US rule is you are screened upon first entry to the US). So sorting of bags isn't an issue, you just send them all to the same place, one luggage carousel.

At YUL, only a percentage of passengers on an international flight will be continuing onto a US flight and thus have to be screened by the US - limited percentage makes use of this system easier. If you had been connecting to a Canadian destination at YUL, you would've had to retrieve your bags just like entering the US at JFK. So they are already having to sort the bags for multiple destinations within the airport.

avagyan Apr 12, 2012 7:22 am

Thank you very much!