FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York City (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/)
-   -   Car-less in the Hamptons (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1331194-car-less-hamptons.html)

SQinterrupted Apr 1, 2012 2:54 am

Car-less in the Hamptons

Hi everyone!

I've got a question regarding the Hamptons in New York..

I previously lived in NYC for 2 years, but have never been to the Hamptons. This time, when I return to NYC for a vacation, I am thinking of taking a look around the Hamptons. I can't drive, will be travelling alone, and already have a non-refundable hotel booking for all my nights in NYC. So just wondering, would a day-trip, only using the LIRR and other forms of public transport, be worth doing, if it's even possible?

Would appreciate all your advice! =D

RobbieRunner Apr 1, 2012 7:02 am

The Hampton Jitney is fairly popular www.hamptonjitney.com
Motorcoach service from NYC to the Hamptons.
The Jitney drops you off on Main Street in East Hampton (if I recall) and you can walk around, see the beach, and eat without having to cab it anywhere.
If you decide to tour more, you are going to have to cab it, and then get back to the Jitney pick-up.

There are other ways to get there, including plane/helicopter. However, your cost will go up very sharply for this mode of transportation, and you will have to get transportation from airport or heliport to wherever you are going.

As for "Is it worth the day trip?" I can't answer that. We are two different people.
It may be worth it to you. I never recommend a "go or no-go" without knowing what you want to do or what you expect to see.

Here is a "Best Weekends" link you may get some info from: http://www.bestweekends.com/thingsto...THE%20HAMPTONS

Good luck.

swag Apr 1, 2012 8:39 am

My first thought is to look into a bicycle rental.

Ocn Vw 1K Apr 1, 2012 9:28 am

For more discussion, please follow the thread as it moves to the Travel->NYC forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

RichardInSF Apr 1, 2012 9:47 am

I visited a friend once who had a house in the Hamptons. I took the Hampton Jitney both ways. The majority of the rest of the customers on the bus seemed to be household help for people summering in the Hamptons.

Once there, my friend drove us around. I tend to think it would have been pretty boring without a car based on that experience, although it also was not that exciting even with the car -- a few decent views, but mostly like being in Manhattan with more trees.

orlandodlplat Apr 1, 2012 12:36 pm

The LIRR will take forever. Don't do it.

You can take the Jitney, but that too can take more than 3 hours depending on the day and the time of year.

And once you arrive, you'll find that "the Hamptons" are a sprawling series of towns, where you really need a car to get around unless you confine yourself to one place, like East Hampton or Southampton or Amagansett. Having said that, they're just beach towns with really, really fancy shops. Kind of like being on Madison Avenue with a beach a few blocks away.

Blumie Apr 1, 2012 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 18313883)
The majority of the rest of the customers on the bus seemed to be household help for people summering in the Hamptons.

Like most forms of mass transit in the NYC area, the Jitney is very democratic. On the same bus, you will find homeowners heading out to their multi-million-dollar homes, and the folks who work for them. It's absolutely not the case that the majority of those who ride the Jitney are the household help.

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat (Post 18314725)
The LIRR will take forever. Don't do it.

Depending on where one is going, the LIRR often is a great way to get there. Don't do it? That's an absurd recommendation, IMHO.

I recognize that the Hamptons are not for everyone -- I too am ambivalent about them -- but lots and lots and lots (and lots more) of people love going to the Hamptons.

SQinterrupted Apr 2, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions! =)

I went to the Best Weekends link RobbieRunner posted, and saw this link to horse-riding at Deep Hollow Ranch.. Now i'm getting excited about horse-riding on the Montauk Beach and taking lots of great pictures of me on a horse hehe! Does anyone have any comments about Deep Hollow Ranch? I've never been on a horse before, so i hope they allow beginners to go on the horse rides.. =)

Hmmm another thing is, if I were to take a cab to Deep Hollow Ranch from the Montauk LIRR station or the Hampton Jitney bus stop, would I be able to just flag down a cab (like in NYC), or would I need to call the cab company for a pickup?

I would love to go cycling around the Hamptons too =) I'm a rather shaky cyclist though, having just learnt how to cycle not too long ago hehe.. Are the bike routes in the Hamptons easy to do?

nerd Apr 2, 2012 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SQinterrupted (Post 18319690)
Hmmm another thing is, if I were to take a cab to Deep Hollow Ranch from the Montauk LIRR station or the Hampton Jitney bus stop, would I be able to just flag down a cab (like in NYC), or would I need to call the cab company for a pickup?

My experience is limited to Wed/Th/Friday afternoons/evenings in the summer, but I have always seen cabs at the Montauk station.

Blumie Apr 2, 2012 1:15 pm

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions! =)

I went to the Best Weekends link RobbieRunner posted, and saw this link to horse-riding at Deep Hollow Ranch.. Now i'm getting excited about horse-riding on the Montauk Beach and taking lots of great pictures of me on a horse hehe! Does anyone have any comments about Deep Hollow Ranch? I've never been on a horse before, so i hope they allow beginners to go on the horse rides.. =)

I would love to go cycling around the Hamptons too =) I'm a rather shaky cyclist though, having just learnt how to cycle not too long ago hehe.. Are the bike routes in the Hamptons easy to do?

The taxis out in the Hamptons all know when the trains arrive, so they're usually waiting at the station. If you don't see one when you arrive, you'll have to call one. (I googled Montauk taxi and came up with Garflield's at 631-204-7605; you might do your own search for some alternatives.)

As for biking, there are easy rides just around Montauk, and fairly challenging rides if you want to head west to neighboring towns, such as Amagansett.

Analise Apr 2, 2012 2:49 pm

You will have to call for a cab.

Landing Gear Apr 2, 2012 7:09 pm

I don't know anything about Deep Hollow Ranch but from their website it appears that they offer trail rides. They don't say anything about lessons but they do say you can be a beginner. http://www.deephollowranch.com/boardinginfo.htm

Some tips from me:

If you really have never been on a horse before, try and book a private ride. Horses can be unpredicable and if your horse gets "spooked" and starts bucking or doing something else that can be dangerous, you have the full attention of the guide or instructor to tell you what to do so hopefully you don't get thrown.

Ask if they provide helmets. I would not ride without one.

Ask what they suggest wearing. If they don't have anything specific, and you don't have your own tack (which perhaps you borrowed), just make sure not to wear sneakers. Wear a shoe that has a low heel like a loafer. That will help you keep your feet in the stirrups.

Forget about anything silly like a riding crop. That will get just get you into trouble.

If you go for a group ride, and you have some control over the horse, try not to get too close to the horse in front of you.

Just FYI, most places that offer horseback riding require you to sign a release that says that they are not legally responsible under almost any conditions.

nycflyer Apr 2, 2012 10:37 pm

You could try a day trip but note travel time each way is 2.5-3.5hrs, whether by train or bus. Distance-wise, similar to visiting Malacca from Singapore. Earliest arrival would be 10:30a - 11a, which leaves ~8 hours before heading back. That's time enough to look around one town but not to go from town to town, without a car.

"The Hamptons" is roughly as large as Singapore, with far less public transit. Montauk to East Hampton is as far as Changi to Orchard MRT - a beautiful ride if you're a good biker but a bit much for a novice. Choose one town, rent a bike and enjoy the afternoon at a leisurely pace.

Montauk, at the very end of the South Fork, is more relaxed surfers' hangout than tony stomping grounds of the 1%. If you're looking for the latter, stay south of the highway, between Sagaponack and Amagansett

Analise Apr 3, 2012 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Landing Gear (Post 18322954)
Some tips from me:

If you really have never been on a horse before, try and book a private ride. Horses can be unpredicable and if your horse gets "spooked" and starts bucking or doing something else that can be dangerous, you have the full attention of the guide or instructor to tell you what to do so hopefully you don't get thrown.

If they put beginners on horses that buck or get easily spooked (likely a young horse), they run a poor business. Typically the older, slow horses are assigned to beginners.

Ask if they provide helmets. I would not ride without one.
When I've gone riding in the Adirondacks, I have always had to sign a document stating that I turned down the offer of a riding helmet. I am not sure if that's a state law or just the requirements stipulated by their insurance company. Anyway, I bring my own. Always wear a helmet.

Ask what they suggest wearing. If they don't have anything specific, and you don't have your own tack (which perhaps you borrowed), just make sure not to wear sneakers. Wear a shoe that has a low heel like a loafer. That will help you keep your feet in the stirrups.
Let me add, keep your heels down and toes up.

Forget about anything silly like a riding crop. That will get just get you into trouble.
I doubt they'd give a crop to a beginner.

Just FYI, most places that offer horseback riding require you to sign a release that says that they are not legally responsible under almost any conditions.
Yup. Expect that.

Landing Gear Apr 3, 2012 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 18325853)
If they put beginners on horses that buck or get easily spooked (likely a young horse), they run a poor business. Typically the older, slow horses are assigned to beginners.

You'd be surprised. :) In some barns, (again, I know nothing about the one OP asked about), the horse that goes out is the next available one.

When I've gone riding in the Adirondacks, I have always had to sign a document stating that I turned down the offer of a riding helmet. I am not sure if that's a state law or just the requirements stipulated by their insurance company. Anyway, I bring my own. Always wear a helmet.

It's insurance or just plain risk management, as far as I know. In any case, I would not ride without my own tack.

I doubt they'd give a crop to a beginner.

No, but people on vacation sometimes do goofy things at least as told to me by the folks I have ridden with in Arizona. Dumber things than buying a riding crop from a website when you don't know how to ride have been done.

Speaking of dumb behavior, in Brooklyn, the most common one is refusing the helmet.