Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGA to Lower Manhattan safe & cheap!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

LGA to Lower Manhattan safe & cheap!

I'm 23 female looking to get from LGA to Lower Manhattan at apprx 7:45 on a Friday night. I need a safe/cheap way to do it. I can afford a taxi, but would rather spend the money elsewhere. I would like to take the M60 to the 1,2 or A,C metro. My concern is being alone, w/ luggage in the dark and unfamiliar with my surroundings. Is this a safe transfer to make? Is there a better route to go?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by Danielle7182
I'm 23 female looking to get from LGA to Lower Manhattan at apprx 7:45 on a Friday night. I need a safe/cheap way to do it. I can afford a taxi, but would rather spend the money elsewhere. I would like to take the M60 to the 1,2 or A,C metro. My concern is being alone, w/ luggage in the dark and unfamiliar with my surroundings. Is this a safe transfer to make? Is there a better route to go?
Take a cab or m60 to Astoria / Ditmars BLVD and hop on subway there. Cab will be under 10. Hope on the n q line and take that in. You will have to transfer at Lexington ave more then likely.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What part of lower Manhattan?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What part of lower Manhattan?
+1

My recommendation would depend on where you're going.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Taking public transportation, particularly at that hour, is totally fine - the buses and subways will be filled with people. NYC is America's safest large city by far - don't stress it.

I'd recommend taking the M60 to the subway - there's a Metrocard vending machine in the bowels of the main terminal, pretty close to the bus stop. It can be kind of a pain to find, though, so it may be easier to just pay the bus fare in coins ($2.50 now, I believe) and then get a Metrocard when you reach the subway.

Depending on where you're going, you can either get off the bus at the N station at Astoria Blvd (you can't miss it - it's a giant elevated train track looming above you) and take that downtown. Or you can continue on the M60 into Harlem. The bus will go down 125th St and give you transfer options to the 4/5/6, 2/3, A/C, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
[QUOTE=Danielle7182;18254289]
. My concern is being alone, w/ luggage in the dark and unfamiliar with my surroundings. QUOTE]

To me, it's the amount of luggage which makes the difference.....will your baggage fit in a regular city bus (the M60).....how do you feel about dragging your luggage up about 30 steps (to Astoria/Ditmars Stn N-subway line)....or down 10-20 steps to other subway stops?

Perhaps consider the express private coach bus that stops at each LGA terminal, then goes non-stop to Grand Central Station, where you can easily catch a taxi or subway downtown. This private coach bus has luggage compartment in bottom of bus so accomodates larger-than-carryon size bags

New Yorkers on here can tell you the info on the express bus service.....it usually costs $10 when you pay cash at its bus stop outside the terminal.

Oh...bus service is:
http://www.nyairportservice.com/

Last edited by peersteve; Mar 22, 2012 at 7:53 pm Reason: add website
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Taking public transportation, particularly at that hour, is totally fine - the buses and subways will be filled with people. NYC is America's safest large city by far - don't stress it.
Agree completely. Stick to public transportation; you'll be fine. If you tell us exactly where you're headed, we can provide precise directions.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:20 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you don't feel comfortable with public transportation, a car service--especially with a discount code or coupon--can be cheaper than a taxi and you don't have to worry that a traffic jam will send the fare skyrocketing. Just be careful to take an official vehicle and definitely not a jitney cab which IMO is much riskier than public transportation. I would not transfer from bus to subway in Harlem, especially if you are not a native New Yorker.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you don't feel comfortable with public transportation, a car service--especially with a discount code or coupon--can be cheaper than a taxi and you don't have to worry that a traffic jam will send the fare skyrocketing. Just be careful to take an official vehicle and definitely not a jitney cab which IMO is much riskier than public transportation. I would not transfer from bus to subway in Harlem, especially if you are not a native New Yorker.
You're not a New Yorker, are you?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:42 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk!

If you want a better route, you need to return to this thread and tell us where you are going. Not a fan of the M60 as it is often a long ride and can be crowded. Where to put your luggage on a potentially crowded bus would be a concern. But advising you what to do would be more beneficial for you; to do that, we need more info from you.

Last edited by Analise; Mar 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

More Info

I am going to Church Street between Chambers and Barclay Street.

My luggage will be carry-on size so no problems hefting up and down stairs.

No, I am not from New York.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

I am going to Church Street between Chambers and Barclay Street.

My luggage will be carry-on size so no problems hefting up and down stairs.

No, I am not from New York.
You've just made things very easy: Q33 bus from LGA to the final stop (Roosevelt Avenue/Jackson Heights subway station). Take a Manhattan-bound E train (normally found on the express track) to its last stop (Chambers Street/WTC). Voila!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 5:04 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by guv1976

You've just made things very easy: Q33 bus from LGA to the final stop (Roosevelt Avenue/Jackson Heights subway station). Take a Manhattan-bound E train (normally found on the express track) to its last stop (Chambers Street/WTC). Voila!
I also recommend this as the bus stop will be the last and the subway stop will be the last (less confusion about what stop to get off). The Q33 will let you off at a ugly green building, go inside and through the turnstiles. Walk down the stairs and then down another flight to the actual subway platform (make sure you are on the downtown train platform). Then take the E to the very last stop. I suggest walking all the way to the front of the platform as the first couple of cars are usually are not crowded and you will be able to get a seat.

The ride from LGA to Jackson Heights (E train) should be about 30 minutes (the bus can be slow) and then another 30 maybe 35 minutes to the World Trade Center stop.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Sounds like I'll got that Jackson Heights route. Thank you for all the help and quick responses!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:30 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Sounds like I'll got that Jackson Heights route. Thank you for all the help and quick responses!
You will see lots of people on both the Q33 and E train plus when you get downtown to Church St/WTC stop. Don't fear and don't get antsy on the bus as it is only a 20 minute ride but the last 5-10 minutes seem to take forever. The bus will turn under and elevated train but you don't care about that train as the LAST stop is your destination. You can't get lost!

BTW - If you don't understand how the MEtroCard works to board the bus & subway - please ask the question as it may save you money to buy one in the newsstand at the airport or have someone in NYC send one to you before your arrival. It is a BIG deal as NYC bus doesn't accept paper currency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.