Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-BOM Continental - Amtrak Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:34 am
Original Poster

EWR-BOM Continental - Amtrak Question

Hi all,

I live in Delaware and the Continental flight from EWR leave at 8:20pm Sunday night. Is it very busy?

I am planning to take Amtrak from Wilmngton,DE how far is the continental terminal for international flight from the Amtrak station? Which station to get off? I will have 2 checked in baggage and 1 carry on with me, this is the first time in EWR.

Kindly advise.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
It's very busy. Plan to be at the terminal for check-in no later than 5:45pm.

Book an Amtrak train that stops at the Newark Airport station. You want to arrive no later than 5:30pm. Get off there and ride the free monorail to Newark Terminal C. The monorail ride will take less than ten minutes. When you get there, go downstairs to check-in.

Last edited by BearX220; Feb 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
You MUST be checked in no later than 1 hour before your scheduled departure time, so I would be sure to get in line no later than 1 hour before that (6:20pm.) Though to avoid any problems, I would get there as was previously stated no later than 5:45pm, meaning you need to be exiting the train no later than 5:30pm.

Just as a correction, Continemtal departs from Terminal C at EWR, not Terminal 3.

After exiting the train, you will go upstais into the Train Station. You will need to present your Amtrak Ticket Stub to the agent at the faregates to be permitted entry. If you lose your ticket, or your ticket does not list EWR as your destination it will cost you 5.50 to pass through the turnstiles.

Board the AirTrain (monorail) and take it to Terminal C. Exit the monorail, go downstairs into the terminal, and then go to the upper level to checkin. Once upstairs, Mumbai flights have a dedicated checkin counter, which should be to the left.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by kwildnj
Continemtal departs from Terminal C at EWR, not Terminal 3.
My mistake, thank you. I was counting 1-2-3 around the EWR loop rather than A-B-C.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for your response. I signed up for the CO one pass my question is which you may not know. If I buy my tickets through Chase ultimate rewards on my freedom card I will get double UR points. But where or how do I put the One pass boos that I can earn miles as well.

This is my first time flying CO international, any ideas how this flight service to Mumbai is?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Sid369
Thanks guys for your response. I signed up for the CO one pass my question is which you may not know. If I buy my tickets through Chase ultimate rewards on my freedom card I will get double UR points. But where or how do I put the One pass boos that I can earn miles as well.

This is my first time flying CO international, any ideas how this flight service to Mumbai is?
1) Pull up your reservation on Continental.com
2) Scroll down to "Travelers" Box
3) Click "Edit Travelers Information"
4) Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, and choose the program and enter the number,

Alternatively, you can call Continental and have them add it, or also you can have it added at the airport.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks kwildnj for the providing the steps.

I am also trying to book my Amtrak tickets but for Sunday from Wilmington to EWR. But its so expensive on sunday I get the lowest fare $62 in the early morning or $86 at around noon, which is early but still fine with me the rest is all above $100 one way. coming back is $46 which is fine.

I was wondering if any one has any codes to share so I can get that price reduced.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sid369
I was wondering if any one has any codes to share so I can get that price reduced.
Amtrak is well aware there are lots of people like you training to EWR for early-evening departures to Europe, so they raise the price accordingly.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:39 pm

Amtrak offers no discounts within 3 days of departure. -- I'd suggest taking an earlier "cheap" train and try to check in early.

For future reference, you can buy your Amtrak ticket as part of a Continental/United ticket. Use airport code ZWI (which shows as Dover, DE, but is indeed the Wilmington Amtrak station)

Looking at a random date in March, it looks as if the add-on is about 130 or so round-trip, so just about 65 - 70 each way.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

And you can also purchase a UA/CO ticket starting at ZFV, the Philadelphia Amtrak station. This sometimes results in fares lower than those for tickets out of EWR!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:22 pm

Angry

Alternatively:

While this will take longer, and require three transfers, you could save some money by:

Taking SEPTA from Wilmington to 30th Street - Philadelphia

At 30th Street, Transfer to Another SEPTA Train to Trenton, NJ

At Trenton, Transfer to NJ Transit to EWR

Total trip time looks to be 3 1/2 Hours, and will cost you 26.50 (9.50 for SEPTA, 17.00 for NJ Transit)

Will it suck? Kinda. Will it save some cash? Absolutely.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BearX220
Amtrak is well aware there are lots of people like you training to EWR for early-evening departures to Europe, so they raise the price accordingly.
Like most travel companies, Amtrak pricing is dynamic based on demand. If a lot of people are buying tickets for a particular train, the price goes up. You make it sound like some sort of conspiracy!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
You make it sound like some sort of conspiracy!
And you make it sound like some natural force, like barometric pressure! Automated price dynamism is a proactive revenue maximization strategy that penalizes the customer for traveling when it's most convenient. That may not be a "conspiracy," but it's certainly proactive policy.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by BearX220
Automated price dynamism is a proactive revenue maximization strategy that penalizes the customer for traveling when it's most convenient.
Wrong. It results if higher fares ("penalizes" in your words) during periods of higher demand. It has nothing to do with convenience.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blumie
Wrong. It results if higher fares ("penalizes" in your words) during periods of higher demand. It has nothing to do with convenience.
Don't be a pedant. A trip is in higher demand because it's more convenient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.