The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by amm543
Hope of you guys that frequent EWR could help me out. If I'm flying United and have a stopover at EWR is there anywhere I could meet up with some friends before security. I have a few hour stopover but not enough time to leave the airport. Can I leave the secure area and sit with them somewhere? They are not flying. Any foot court type places that have tables and chairs available pre-security? Since I'm flying on 1 itinerary on United my bags will get checked through to my final destination so I think I just have to leave myself enough time to get through security. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
There's really nothing pre-security at Terminal C -- I don't think I've even seen seating there. Certainly no food court. It's usually a madhouse, too. Suggest that you walk over to the EWR Marriott, which can be reached on foot in about ten minutes by cutting through the parking garage, and have a drink.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 5:58 pm

I heard there is a food court with tables & chairs pre security in Terminal B. Is this correct? Can I just take the AirTrain over to terminal b and meet them there?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I heard there is a food court with tables & chairs pre security in Terminal B. Is this correct?
Yes it is. (This would be easy for you to find out for yourself by Googling "EWR Terminal Maps"):

http://www.flightstats.com/go/Airpor...irportCode=EWR

Apparently there is a McDonald's, a coffee shop, a full-service "Charlie's Steakery," and I don't know what else. I've never examined it myself.

You can ride AirTrain over to Terminal B. [Deleted inaccurate observation about AirTrain being post-security.]

Last edited by BearX220; Nov 6, 2014 at 7:40 am
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:19 pm

Huh? Walk back? The AirTrain is on the air side? I don't think that's correct. The AirTrain is what takes you in between terminals at Newark and to the Newark Airport train station which obviously is not even on airport property. Can someone please confirm that I'll easily be able to get back and forth from Terminals B & C pre-security in just a few minutes using the AirTrain.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by BearX220
The AirTrain is on the secure side
Nah, it's not. But you could find that out by googling.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 4:59 pm

I did google and that's why I asked again on here. I wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly b/c the previous poster clearly stated AirTrain wasn't accessible pre-security. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: UA MM
I did google and that's why I asked again on here. I wanted to make sure I was understanding it correctly b/c the previous poster clearly stated AirTrain wasn't accessible pre-security. Thanks for the clarification.
AirTrain is outside security (including Terminal B).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
I want poking fun at you. @:-)
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
So, regarding the PATH option into NYC, how do you propose to get from EWR to Newark Penn Station most effectively? I've always been frustrated by the fact that to get anywhere from EWR, one must wait for the AirTrain, take it a couple stops, wait for the NJ Transit to go ONE STOP, then wait for the PATH. Seems woefully inefficient to me. Why can't the PATH just go directly to Newark Penn?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation blame the Port Authority

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
So, regarding the PATH option into NYC, how do you propose to get from EWR to Newark Penn Station most effectively? I've always been frustrated by the fact that to get anywhere from EWR, one must wait for the AirTrain, take it a couple stops, wait for the NJ Transit to go ONE STOP, then wait for the PATH. Seems woefully inefficient to me. Why can't the PATH just go directly to Newark Penn?
Its all about revenue for the Port Authority. They collect a surcharge (on NJ Transit tickets) of $5.50/passenger for the right to transit the EWR rail terminal. I learned this the hard way......bought a tix. to Elizabeth and was told I could not use it to clear the turnstiles at EWR. Its all about $$$ for the Port Authority.

If that is not bad enough, the Port Authority charges the Hilton 10K to be listed in its direct dial telephone listings at the hotel shuttle terminal. The Port Authority is IMO a money pit, accountable to no one.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"So, regarding the PATH option into NYC, how do you propose to get from EWR to Newark Penn Station most effectively?"

Take a Newark-bound #62 NJ Transit bus from any EWR terminal to Newark Penn Station. @:-)
Old Nov 6, 2014, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Huh? Walk back? The AirTrain is on the air side? I don't think that's correct. The AirTrain is what takes you in between terminals at Newark and to the Newark Airport train station which obviously is not even on airport property.
You are right. I was tired when I posted and confused the EWR AirTrain with other infrastructure elsewhere.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:02 am

While the NJ Transit bus #62 is a great option from Newark Penn Station to the airport keep in mind that the bus doesn't have luggage racks so if you're traveling with a lot of luggage it might be easier to take a train. The Path / Bus #62 is for sure the cheapest way to get to from Manhattan to EWR. Keep in mind the Path train recently increased to $2.75 a ride.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:18 pm

Restaurant recommendation at EWR :

Ok, I haven't read this whole thread but I'm sure it's been mentioned here somewhere.

In terminal C - Vino Volo, awesome winebar - and their fig jam/prosciutto Sandwhich is bomb!

I go every week and the waiters are super quick and pro.

Usually , the same guy is there and we have become decent buddies and knows my order by heart.

Comfy chairs, FREE WIFI, great food, great wine

Recommended to anyone going to EWR and have that fig jam sandwhich!
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Quick Question for the EWR Regulars: I have a flight coming into EWR from IAD at 7:10am and my flight to MBJ is at 8:00am (50 minute window). I am landing and coming into Terminal A and flying out of Terminal C. Is the air train back up to normal? How easy or difficult to make the transition from Terminal A to Terminal C for a 50 minute transition. Please let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.