Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

The Complete Guide to EWR - Newark Liberty International Airport [OUTDATED]

Old Dec 21, 2014, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Quick Question for the EWR Regulars: I have a flight coming into EWR from IAD at 7:10am and my flight to MBJ is at 8:00am (50 minute window). I am landing and coming into Terminal A and flying out of Terminal C. Is the air train back up to normal? How easy or difficult to make the transition from Terminal A to Terminal C for a 50 minute transition. Please let me know.
Asked and answered in the UA forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24025522-post222.html

(Remember, the mods don't take kindly to crossposting 'round these parts.)
Old Dec 22, 2014, 7:10 pm

Sorry to bring this up again - does the United terminal shuttle require boarding pass? I have a (long-ish) connection from A to C but would like to stop at terminal B to use the LH *G lounge.
Old Dec 22, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by br2k
Sorry to bring this up again - does the United terminal shuttle require boarding pass? I have a (long-ish) connection from A to C but would like to stop at terminal B to use the LH *G lounge.
IIRC, even if you could take the shuttle from A to B, I'm about 99% sure you can't get the shuttle FROM B to anywhere (since there's no such thing as an airside transfer from B to any other terminal).
Old Dec 22, 2014, 10:01 pm

That's fine - from B I can go out through landside security. Got plenty of time and TSA Pre. But I'd rather move to B airside than try to convince TSA to let me in another terminal.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:41 pm

To answer my own question:
- United bus gate attendants did not let me on the bus to terminal B without a boarding pass showing fligt from that terminal. Note that this bus is separate from the one that goes to terminal C. Instead they directed me outside to security.

- I entered terminal B through security without any issues. As there was no line the whole process took less than 20 minutes. Lufthansa lounge is not bad - definitely beats being out in the terminal.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, WJ, Avis Preferred, Hertz Gold, Fairmont PC, IHG, Marriott, Airmiles, Aventura,Avion
EWR to Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Saturday Morning?

We are flying from Toronto (Porter Airlines) into Newark tomorrow (Saturday) morning and are scheduled to land at 10:25am. We will already have gone through US customs in Toronto, I believe, so won't go through customs again at EWR.
We need to get to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal asap and we have a car service booked to pick us up at EWR and drive us to the cruise port. I am worried about getting to the cruise terminal in time to board our ship but there aren't enough seats available on the earlier flight so changing our flight to an earlier time is out.
It's my first time to Newark and I don't know anything about the airport or driving to Manhattan.
I know that it can be unpredictable but can anyone share their personal experience of how long it took on average to get checked luggage? Once we have our luggage, is it fairly easy to get outside to the area where cars pickup passengers?
How long can I expect the drive from EWR to Manhattan cruise terminal to take on a Saturday morning around 11am to noon?

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions and I do understand that it's impossible to give an exact answer and that there can be many variables such as delayed flights, luggage taking longer than usual, heavier traffic than normal, etc., I am just curious as to an average provided there's nothing out of the ordinary.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by westcoastgal
EWR to Manhattan Cruise Terminal on Saturday Morning?

We are flying from Toronto (Porter Airlines) into Newark tomorrow (Saturday) morning and are scheduled to land at 10:25am. We will already have gone through US customs in Toronto, I believe, so won't go through customs again at EWR.
We need to get to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal asap and we have a car service booked to pick us up at EWR and drive us to the cruise port. I am worried about getting to the cruise terminal in time to board our ship but there aren't enough seats available on the earlier flight so changing our flight to an earlier time is out.
It's my first time to Newark and I don't know anything about the airport or driving to Manhattan.
I know that it can be unpredictable but can anyone share their personal experience of how long it took on average to get checked luggage? Once we have our luggage, is it fairly easy to get outside to the area where cars pickup passengers?
How long can I expect the drive from EWR to Manhattan cruise terminal to take on a Saturday morning around 11am to noon?

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions and I do understand that it's impossible to give an exact answer and that there can be many variables such as delayed flights, luggage taking longer than usual, heavier traffic than normal, etc., I am just curious as to an average provided there's nothing out of the ordinary.
Porter flies out of YTZ, not YYZ. YTZ does not have a U.S. preclearance facility, so you will have to clear U.S. Customs & Immigration at EWR.

Barring unusually heavy traffic, the drive from EWR to the Manhattan passenger ship terminal should take no more than one hour. Just make sure that your cruise is in fact sailing from Manhattan, and from not Brooklyn (or New Jersey).
Old May 1, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

And for future reference, it's very risky to fly in to a cruise's departure city on the day of sailing. What happens if your Porter flight is significantly delayed or canceled because of a mechanical problem, bad weather, etc.?
Old May 31, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
I am flying out of EWR next week and I work downtown in Manhattan. If I take the PATH train to Newark/Penn Station, what is the easiest way to get to EWR? How easy is it to get a cab from there? What is the price and do they only accept cash? Thx
Old May 31, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by safra1
I am flying out of EWR next week and I work downtown in Manhattan. If I take the PATH train to Newark/Penn Station, what is the easiest way to get to EWR? How easy is it to get a cab from there? What is the price and do they only accept cash? Thx
A taxi would probably be easiest; not sure if they accept cards or if they are cash only.

But unless you have a lot of luggage or are pressed for time, the #62 bus will get you to your EWR terminal in 20-25 minutes for $1.50. You can get schedule information at http://www.njtransit.com
Old May 31, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by safra1
I think you could just hop on the NJT and go one stop. Cabs should be easy to pick up. No idea how much it costs, though...only time I didn't take NJT to EWR was when the AirTrain was out of commission, and they were running buses from Newark Penn Station to EWR. It didn't take that long, in my experience.

You could also just Uber.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
All I can think of is purchasing a day pass for the lounge if permitted. CX uses the BA Galleries lounge at EWR and it's open until 0130. I had a 130a-730a layover at EWR Terminal C a few weeks ago and the place was dead, although I think the food court McDonald's may have stayed open all night, mainly to sell the cleaner-workers coffee. I got some sleep on the concourse floor.
I'm flying CX business class from HKG into EWR arriving 9:40pm and my connecting flight to DFW isn't until 5am. Would it be possible to get access to the BA Galleries lounge until they close at 1:30am?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by thatguy47
I'm flying CX business class from HKG into EWR arriving 9:40pm and my connecting flight to DFW isn't until 5am. Would it be possible to get access to the BA Galleries lounge until they close at 1:30am?
Almost certainly not. On arrival at EWR, you'll be dumped landside after clearing customs & immigration, so there's no arrivals access to any of the lounges in Terminal B. And since the piers of terminals A & B aren't connected airside (and the only airside connection between terminals is UA's shuttle), even if your connecting flight is also out of terminal B, you won't be able to access the pier with the BA lounge.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Emirates, Jet Blue, United, IHG
Help! Confirming how to get from Term C to A on domestic connection (tonight!)

I'm not expecting to be lucky enough to get an answer tonight, but I'm sitting in an airport for a delayed flight to Newark, where I'll be arriving C114 and need to connect to terminal A25 (domestic flight on United all the way, no checked baggage)...and barely half an hour between flights due to the delay.

I don't know Newark well....can I just confirm that I should NOT take the airtrain as it will require me going through security again. When I step out of C114, is there a United bus to terminal A? Can you run to Terminal A if there's no bus?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by pallas
I don't know Newark well....can I just confirm that I should NOT take the airtrain as it will require me going through security again. When I step out of C114, is there a United bus to terminal A? Can you run to Terminal A if there's no bus?
1. Correct on your assessment of Air Train.
2. Assuming your connection in A is on United, yes, there is a bus to the part of Terminal A out of which United flies.
3. No way to run to (easily) Terminal A from Terminal C. Would require exiting and reentering security, and terminals are not designed for walking from one to another.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.