Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum
Easter 2012 NYC Hotel

deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:12 am
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
You have lots of choices.... I'd look into the Chatwal, Soho/TriBeCa Grand and maybe Soho House as well...
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

deleted.

Old Nov 26, 2011, 5:35 pm

The Mark if you want to be on the Upper East (quiet). My pick would be The Bowery Hotel - close to the New Museum and Soho shopping/good restaurants.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Well, we've just returned from a romantic escape to NYC, a place we have been going to since our fifth date weekend...... some advice on making NYC "romantic" --- allocate money to experiences, rather that hotel room, and spend to minimize travel hassle for more togetherness.

For a relatively quiet hotel in NYC, there are two things I look for: A middle-of-the-block location on a street (not an avenue), and the least number of rooms per floor for minimal hallway traffic and most sense of privacy.

With those criteria, we've been happy with the bare-bones Marriott Fairfield Inn-Chelsea on 28th St between 6 and 7 Av. Only 7 rooms per floor, so very little hall noise. That block on 28th St is mostly flower and plant stores, so it's quiet at night.....and everyday we pick up lots of fresh flowers for the room.....that plus a few flickering candles makes the simple hotel room romantic (imho)!

The other thing my partner appreciates to keep NYC romantic is minimizing the travel hassles....money saved on hotel room can go to limo/car service to/from airport and buying an unlimited metrocard subway/pass, which is $29 for 7days, even when we are just there for 3-4 days, so there's no second thoughts about hopping on bus/subway just for short distances when feet are tired.

For art viewing, there are a couple of "old art" museums we like to see for the architecture---the Frick mansion and the Morgan Library (free on Friday nights).....and for modern art, if you can venture out of Manhattan, Judy Chicago's iconic "Dinner Party" is at the Brooklyn Museum, and the larger exhibitions from Dia are in Beacon, NY, an easy Metro-North commuter train ride
http://www.diabeacon.org/sites/main/beacon
http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/dinner_party/

Enjoy---- this post caught our attention because we fondly remember the Zurich Park Hyatt as highly romantic.....for both the sexy shower/bath combination and the rich ice cream place across the street!

Oh, and I'm reminded of our experience at the uber-trendoid W Union Square soon after it opened..... from their DVD library we chose "The Sweet Smell of Success" as our midnight movie, but the W's all-knowing video librarian said it was poor choice and tried to get us to change. On the elevator ridfe back up to our room, another guest noticed the DVD box, smiled and said "what a perfect Manhattan movie for a stormy night", then recited the cast list and awards......we got off on the same floor, so I put him on the house phone in the hall to finish my needless debate with the W's video desk! So, like you, we'll avoid the we-know-better-what-you-want boo-tike hotels.

Last edited by peersteve; Nov 26, 2011 at 8:26 pm
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:13 am
Original Poster

deleted.

Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by JohnDP

I would like to find a good hotel for 2 people (couple) for 4 nights around Easter 2012. I am looking for an original hotel, so preferrably no standard hotel chain room, at least not the very boring luxury type.
Strange; you named so many chains below.

Then again, I'd like to avoid the hipster boutique hotels with arrogant staff and noisy neighbours.
That's almost every place on your list.

(no, I am not interested in roses on the bed or sex toys for hour long marathons)
TMI!

I am ready to pay up to 600 USD including taxes and breakfast
Is that per night or for the entire stay????

and for that price I'd like luxury in sense of a comfortable room with a low noise level. Not absolute silence per se, but no sleep depriving nuisances if possible.
Quiet and Meatpacking District are an oxymoron.

The Setai Fifth Avenue and the Andaz Wall Street are not in my favourite area (Village/Meatpacking/Soho) but seem very nice: the Setai has a fabulous design, even in the cheapest room type and the Andaz seems to be a nice young place with acceptable prices.
The Andaz is on the corner of Wall and Water. That area is absolutely dead after 7:00 PM. In fact, even the Starbucks at 100 Wall closes at 8:00.

thank you very much for your long post, I can definitely vouch for the Park Hyatt in Zurich.
Funny, but with your requirements, I would have chosen the Baur au Lac, unless it has changed in recent years.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

deleted.

Last edited by JohnDP; Nov 30, 2013 at 3:11 am
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I didn't know the East Village/Greenwich Village is now the Upper East Side? I guess I'm "Moving on up" but I don't consider my place a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Though I do suggest the Bowery Hotel as it is smaller but rather nice. Not snooty hipster at all. The bar at night can get a little loud but from the rooms I've been in that wasn't an issue.

Originally Posted by erik123
The Mark if you want to be on the Upper East (quiet). My pick would be The Bowery Hotel - close to the New Museum and Soho shopping/good restaurants.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:13 pm

I would have voted for the Mercer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.