Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

What's a Good Chinese Restaurant in Chinatown?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: OMNI Platinum

I’m trying to find a spot in china town that serves authentic Chinese food.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:39 am

People have varying definitions of "authentic," and "Chinese" encompasses many different kinds of cuisine. What do you like? Cantonese? Hunanese? Sichuanese? Western? Northern? Shanghainese?

If we're talking Manhattan Chinatown, I like Congee Village on Allen Street, which serves mainly Cantonese food. But you have to know what to order, since they also toss a lot of American-style Chinese food on the menu for those who prefer it. The place is also a riot decor-wise, and if you're lucky they'll play the "happy birs-day" recording at some point during your meal.

Xi'an Famous Foods has several locations now and serves up excellent, cheap Western (and some Northern) style cuisine. Last time I was in the Eldridge Street location there was a woman speaking educated-Beijinger-accented Mandarin gushing over one of their dishes (I forget which) and how it was the first time she'd found a decent example outside China. Not much in the way of seating, though.

For Sichuan cuisine, I prefer to head out to Flushing. Spicy & Tasty and Xiao Lajiao (Little Pepper) are both very good, reasonably priced, and won't mind if you hang around for a while.

You might also browse through the forums at Chowhound as there are a lot more adventurous and opinionated Chinese foodies over there.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you think the Chinese owners of the NUMEROUS restaurants are all faking it? When in doubt, look to see who is eating inside the restaurant. That should clue you in to the authenticity. You're not going to find the kind of cooking you see in Chinese villages in which people work for pennies per day. If that's the degree of authenticity for which you're looking, forget about it. There is quite a bit of Cantonese cuisine if that is your interest.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We stumbled into Yee Li (on Elizabeth St) a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it. Food was good. Service was lackluster: it was very crowded (7pm on a Saturday night).
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I want a place that servers everything but General Tso's.. What do you guys think of Wo Hop?

I really wanted to try Hop Kee after seeing it on No Reservations. The reviews on Yelp are brutal on this place, with people saying the waiters throw the 15% tip back at you saying its not enough.

Last edited by ewrfox; Nov 17, 2011 at 9:08 am
Old Nov 17, 2011, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We love Excellent Dumpling House on Lafayette near Canal. Ambiance is HORRIBLE. The dumplings, however, are delish! Very inexpensive too. Win/win. ^
Old Nov 17, 2011, 9:36 am

dumplings: Prosperity (take out only), or Vanessa's
dim sum: 88 Palace
shanghainese: Nice Green Bo
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Analise
When in doubt, look to see who is eating inside the restaurant. That should clue you in to the authenticity.
I used to live by that rule, but have been to too many terrible Chinese places that are packed with Asian faces to continue relying on it. Someone on Chowhound once pointed out to me that there are a lot of folks in ethnic communities (not just Chinese) who prioritize loyalty to friends and family over quality or "authenticity" of the food, and I think he was on to something. In addition, there is a LOT of food in Chinatown that you would never find in China, but that many people still love. Plenty of folks wouldn't consider that "authentic," but it doesn't mean it's not good. For an example of that kind of restaurant (although not billed as Chinese), see this review of Pho Grand.

You're not going to find the kind of cooking you see in Chinese villages in which people work for pennies per day. If that's the degree of authenticity for which you're looking, forget about it.
I disagree. Xi'an Famous Foods comes quite close to some of the better street food I've had in China, and dumpling shops like Properity on Eldridge (or my particular favorite, North Dumpling on Essex, where I'm told the pork dumplings aren't quite as tasty as Prosperity, but where the veggie dumplings are wonderful and the proprietor is always a good sport) are only slightly Canto-Americanized compared to a place I used to frequent in Nanjing. There are also entire food malls out in Flushing and Sunset Park. Some are "authentic" in that they could have been transplanted wholesale from any mid-sized Chinese city. Others sell entirely new creations like the $1 Peking Duck Buns sold from a stall on Main Street in Flushing, which to my knowledge you won't find anywhere in China but are still undeniably Chinese--and more importantly delicious.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Depends on whether you prefer the traditional BBQ Roast Duck a la Cantonese or southern style of cooking or Peking Duck 3-in-1 meal combo popular with northern folks, or everything in between - dim sum vs. sticky rice rolls & soy bean milk, etc.

Here's a few -

Hee Win Lai, 28-30 Pell Street, catonese/dim sum, been around since the 1960's (yeah, used to be one of the largest, seating for 350+) noisy but good home style food, not fancy & typical service.

Joe's Shanghai on Pell Street or Shanghai Cuisine on Bayard Street - fried/steamed dumplings, thick noodle soup with braised beef, pancakes, etc. - mixed customer base - daily lunch specials except Sundays & holidays.

Dim Sum Go Go - Chatham Square near Oliver Street, across from Mott Street - popular with "non-Chinese" tourists - used to be a good photo op spot for WTC ....

Along (main) Mott Street near Bosco Street by the Transfiguration Church - still a handful of classic Chinese restaurants, at least one still serving chow mein (not your pan-fried noodles) but otherwise good stired fried lobsters, pan-seared whole fish and beef chow fun (wet or dry) - including the corner one down in the basement (used to drive down there for a 3 am midnight meal, desserted mostly except for the Flying Dragon & Ghost Shadow boys, in the 1970's)

A detailed guide for everything you ever wanted to know about NYC's C-town on the web, link to numerous restaurants - happy research:

http://www.nychinatown.org/directory/index.html

Just to be on the safe side, make sure the restaurants posted their latest Health Dept. inspection report grade - A only - otherwise ....

After meals, be sure to check out one of the modern bakery for their wide choices of sweats, egg tarts & coffee or HK-styled black/red tea with milk, at unbeatable prices - 2 of them along Canal Street - just skip the Starbucks for once .... really!

Hop Shing/Chatham Restaurant, another old timer since the 1950's and 60's - 9 Chatham Sq. they serve up the classic baked or steamed roast pork buns, among other things from 7AM on daily -better yet, ask for the steamed "Big" Bun - stuffed with meat, sauages, boiled half egg, etc. - inexpensive & 2 serving will be more than enough for most as a meal by itself. Suburban Chinese used to (still do) drive in on weekends, pre-order & buy them by the dozens, uncooked & take them home to enjoy upon reheating (pre-microwave days.)

BTW, most of the places are cash only - and, yes, sales tax are charged but check the bill closely, some now automatically add 15% or 20% tips with parties of 6 or 8 and larger (even for 1 or 2 ??) when in doubt, ask & examine the itemized "check."

Last edited by Letitride3c; Nov 17, 2011 at 11:20 am
Old Nov 17, 2011, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
I like Shanghai Cafe on Mott Street. Good food, clean, authentic.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:37 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
The fact is, if you're not Chinese (or remotely Asian), you'll be handed a different [tourist] menu which is a study on variations of goopy-red-sauce-from-a-bag on egg roll, shrimp toast and General Tso's chicken. As a non-Asian you will almost always be offered beer and lobster as soon as you are seated. Overall that's not a bad thing, except your wallet will be much lighter

Luckily in NY, the chances of the tourist menu and the English menu having drastically different prices than one in Chinese is quite slim, but still be careful about doing special orders or over customizing a dish. The rule of ordering only what's on the menu (that has a price) applies here.

For dim sum (Cantonese equivalent of tapas that is served breakfast, lunch & brunch only) Jing Fong (Golden Phoenix) and the 2/F dining room at the Holiday Inn Chinatown are decent bets. Wo Hop is an old standby and is very reliable. For noodles and assorted Chinese junk food, there's always New York Noodle Town on Canal St. Joe's Shanghai is also very good for cold sesame-peanut noodles and Shanghai dumplings.

So it all depends on what you like/want/expect
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcl
The fact is, if you're not Chinese (or remotely Asian), you'll be handed a different [tourist] menu which is a study on variations of goopy-red-sauce-from-a-bag on egg roll, shrimp toast and General Tso's chicken. As a non-Asian you will almost always be offered beer and lobster as soon as you are seated. Overall that's not a bad thing, except your wallet will be much lighter

Luckily in NY, the chances of the tourist menu and the English menu having drastically different prices than one in Chinese is quite slim, but still be careful about doing special orders or over customizing a dish. The rule of ordering only what's on the menu (that has a price) applies here.

For dim sum (Cantonese equivalent of tapas that is served breakfast, lunch & brunch only) Jing Fong (Golden Phoenix) and the 2/F dining room at the Holiday Inn Chinatown are decent bets. Wo Hop is an old standby and is very reliable. For noodles and assorted Chinese junk food, there's always New York Noodle Town on Canal St. Joe's Shanghai is also very good for cold sesame-peanut noodles and Shanghai dumplings.

So it all depends on what you like/want/expect
I'm looking for a Cantonese restaurant. I think the downstairs Wo Hop is good place to go?

Anyone been to Cha Chan Tang?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by tcl

I am not a fan of Chinese food yet I always remember this great piece of food journalism that would be very appropriate here.

From the New York Times:

BEYOND COLUMNS A AND B
By Fred Ferretti

Published: March 27, 1983

Fred Feretti was a veteran New York reporter married to a woman from China.

He expressed his frustration with Chinese restaurants:

When I ask if I can have some of the wonderful food that the Chinese family of 12 is eating at the next table, I am always told that I wouldn't like it.

When I ask what the wall posters mean I am always told that they are special foods, for special orders, and I wouldn't like them anyway.

He then decides to embark upon extensive research and training with the goal of being enable to eat what the Chinese eat:

On the other hand, often none of the above succeeds. Like that time in the San Francisco restaurant. I went through my prepared request and received chopsticks. I tapped on the table top to thank the waiter - whom I had referred to as ''Ah Gaw'' - and was given a smile in return. I began to gain confidence. I asked my wife what the wall posters were advertising and she said one was for braised Pacific turtle, another for hard-shell crabs in a black bean sauce, another for a clay pot casserole in which the main ingredients were pork, bok choy and sea cucumber, still another for braised pig feet.

Which one, I asked my wife, was for the braised Pacific turtle, which seemed the most intriguing. She pointed. ''Ah Gaw,'' I said, and pointed at the calligraphy for crabs in black beans. He followed my finger, looked at the sign, turned his head and looked back at me and said, ''You wouldn't like that.''

I'd be interested in reactions from forum members.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 8:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Nearby to 88 palace is Golden Unicorn, which I think has some of the better shrimp dishes than most Dim Sum places in Manhattan. I find it easier to go a little earlier 11am is optimal as you are beating the noon rush, which can mean going from no wait to 30-40 minute wait for a table.

Jin Fong is ok, and also have a good open table assortment of prepared dishes (near the loo) in addition to dim sum carts, but I find that the food is not as good as Golden Unicorn (but it is cheaper).

Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Joe's Shanghai on Pell Street or Shanghai Cuisine on Bayard Street - fried/steamed dumplings, thick noodle soup with braised beef, pancakes, etc. - mixed customer base - daily lunch specials except Sundays & holidays.

BTW, most of the places are cash only - and, yes, sales tax are charged but check the bill closely, some now automatically add 15% or 20% tips with parties of 6 or 8 and larger (even for 1 or 2 ??) when in doubt, ask & examine the itemized "check."
+1 for Joe's Shanghai -- very nice dumplings

I have not seen the added tip on my bill and I usually have 8-20 people coming out, but I will have to keep a look out!
Old Nov 19, 2011, 11:02 am

One of the best restaurants in/near Chinatown is Nyonya, located at 199 Grand Street (between Mulberry & Mott). It's actually Chinese/Malaysian, and the menu includes some traditional Malaysian and Indonesian dishes in addition to many Southern-style Chinese favorites. If you order fish, they'll pull a live fresh one out of a tank -- doesn't get any fresher than that.

The food at Nyonya is outstanding and the prices are quite reasonable. It may be cash only, but I don't remember for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.