Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

NYC for a week; 11/25 thru 12/1

Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines

Aloha from Honolulu FT family...gee, I have been off of here for soooooo long, and I have missed it.

So, I decided to make a post to catch up & get some tips from the PROs...:-)

Yes, there are tons of posts here about NYC, and I have been looking, so don't flame me for asking; however I thought I would ask for a "current" list of people's top 10 or 20 list of must-do NYC things or places to eat.

I am taking my aunt for here 1st time to NYC. Should be awesome! I am on my way to work now, so I will post the deeper details of the trip (getting there part , hotel et al when I get to my office).

Mahalo and love,

Patrick :-)
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:16 am

Walk around central park a lot, hit the michelin rated restaurants. If I'd were there now I'd also be curious to check out occupy wall street.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
This one is on my mind just because *blush* it was the topic of morning coffee conversation at the office *blush*.

Women I work with block-out time on their NYC trips to shop at a particular bra store on the upper west side. They say it is fantastic for expert fitting attention and wide selection of styles for all ages.

Town Shop
2273 Broadway # 1
New York
(212) 787-2762
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:38 am

Do not miss the High Line Park and the Chelsea Market!
Old Nov 8, 2011, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
.....and now maybe less blushing suggestions.....

Is your aunt (and you) coming from HNL? How to handle the time zone change? Be ready with list of NYC things to do when you're more on HNL time the first few days. (A museum in NYC which closes at 5pm--that would be 11am? HNL time. An 8pm Broadway show curtain would be, what, 1pm HNL time?)

Talk with your aunt abiout her interests -- whatever she might like there should be even more to do in NYC! Are there stores or museums specializing in her hobbies or interests?

To her, what makes the NYC experience special? If someone watches Hawaii-5-0, you could guess what tourist signts they would want to see, but you'd know that's not the "real" Honolulu. Trips to (or staying in) NYC neighborhoods (even in Manhattan) might be more memorable than Times Square.

Weather, of course, is going to be the big variable. We're going to NYC next week with lists of things to do on cold days vs. warm-enough-to-walk-around days.

Depending on age of your aunt, talk about personal time management. When I'm traveling with my retired Dad, I know it takes at least 2 hours after he wakes up before he is willing to leave the hotel room.....so I keep a list of quick sight-see things I want to do in the morning.

hope this is helpful!

Last edited by peersteve; Nov 8, 2011 at 1:54 pm
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Let's find out something about your aunt first!

1. Does she like to walk? Can she do a lot of walking?
2. Does she enjoy going to theatre?
3. Is she a museum goer?
4. What are her interests?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
Rockefeller center treee
Bryant Park - Citipond ice skating and shops
NY Botanical Garden is nice if you can make it up there with their train displays
South Street Seaport for great views of Brooklyn and the East River
Perhaps 9/11 Memorial and the temp museum along with views of progress on new WTC?
Top of the Rock? (Rockefeller center) or Empire State?
St. Patricks
Central Park
Metropolitan Museum
Natural History Museum
Modern Museum of Art
Walking along the Hudson River by Battery Park City is beautiful. You can do some shopping near Winter Garden in WFC2
etc etc.....
Old Nov 8, 2011, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The Rockefeller Center tree lighting is Nov 30. I'd stay clear of that event unless you really want to show her just how crazy-crowded NYC can get, but do go by to see it late that night or the next day before you depart.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines
love all the great suggestions! mahalo :-)

so, i am running to a yoga class now; however, let me say this - we are definitely going to hit the museums and a few shows (Rockettes).....shopping is more like just to see the displays et al, and then of course the neighborhoods to capture the real NYC feel...and of course some of the historic skyscrapers; Empire, Rockefeller, etc.

We're booked at the W Times Square....so central to many things.

Got great saver award tickets;

HNL-IAH-EWR; business 1st Continental (seats 1 K,L)

EWR-SFO-HNL; first class United (seats 1 A,B)

total miles used=160,000 (2 persons) and $20 processing fee. sweet.

Hotel with family rate is $169/night. (originally $649).

:-)
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
Originally Posted by swag
The Rockefeller Center tree lighting is Nov 30. I'd stay clear of that event unless you really want to show her just how crazy-crowded NYC can get, but do go by to see it late that night or the next day before you depart.
And grab some of the delicious Rock Center Magnolia Cupcakes on your way back to the hotel!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.