Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

International to domestic transit time at JFK (Terminal 4 to Terminal 7)

Old Oct 29, 2011, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

If we arrive at Terminal 4 (TAM, from Brazil) at 6:15 a.m. and depart Terminal 7 (United Airlines) at 8:32a.m. on a domestic flight, I assume that'd be cutting it a bit tight at any airport, and at JFK we'd have to switch terminals after Immigration, Customs, etc. Would, say, 3 1/2 hours be sufficient. We'd be flying biz and first so could use the RCC club in Terminal 7. The short connecton time is showing on American Express Travel.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

3.5 hours is sufficient. 2 1/4 hours is tight b/c you don't know how slow security will be at Terminal 7. I assume immigration shouldn't take too long.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The longest I've waited at t7 security is 25 minutes at that time in the morning. The ride from 4 to 7 is less than 5 minutes. You will be ok.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 1:49 am

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've got a question about a transit between those terminals, albeit a slightly different situation ...

Next April I have a flight from YYZ - JFK - JNB. I will be clearing US customs in Toronto, arriving in Terminal 7 at JFK at 9:59am and then need to depart from Terminal 4 for Africa one hour and 15 minutes later at 11:15am. It is a reward booking and was generated by the AE search engine, so it must be a legal connection time, but I didn't even consider having to re-clear security etc., which I presume is necessary. (I am used to flying internationally, where, once you have cleared security, you do not leave again until you've completed your itinerary but I recall running into this problem at LAX and SFO.)

In theory I could just bump my departure a day earlier and have a <24hr stop in NYC (which would be a sweet bonus), but I am one of the lucky people who got in on the long haul SQ fiasco and seeing as my later SQ flights still show as valid, I am loathe to make any changes for fear that the rest of the trip goes sideways. Mind you, if I don't make that connection things will go sideways anyhow!

If it makes an difference at all, I will be travelling on a business ticket and have an AMEX Platinum (gets faster lines at YYZ, but I doubt it will anywhere else).

Last edited by nomadic.relief; Aug 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"It is a reward booking and was generated by the AE search engine, so it must but (sic) a legal connection time."

I would not assume that. Call the carrier for the YYZ-JFK leg, and ask what their minimum connecting time is at JFK to a flight on SA.

Will you be checking any baggage? If so, I do not think that the YYZ-JFK carrier will check it through to JNB unless the connection at JFK is legal.

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 19, 2012 at 6:52 am
Old May 23, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate, BAEC
Apologies for bumping an old thread, I have a similar situation to a previous poster, but with different flight info. Here is a transfer I need to make this Friday morning, May 27th at JFK:

Virgin America Flight 0418, arriving at 5:44am in Terminal 4
British Airways Flight 0178, leaving at 7:55am in Terminal 7

I’m flying First on VA and Club World on BA and no checked baggage, which I hope will help with the security line. My original goal was to time it such that I didn’t need to stay overnight in NYC, however I’m concerned now that I’m cutting it too close since I need to leave Terminal 4, take AirTrain to Terminal 7, go through security, and make my gate on time.

Do you think I have enough time or should I go ahead and book an earlier arrival to JFK? I don’t have any room for error, so any help would be greatly appreciated from the veterans. Thank you in advance for your help!
Old May 24, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by trustme
Apologies for bumping an old thread, I have a similar situation to a previous poster, but with different flight info. Here is a transfer I need to make this Friday morning, May 27th at JFK:

Virgin America Flight 0418, arriving at 5:44am in Terminal 4
British Airways Flight 0178, leaving at 7:55am in Terminal 7

Im flying First on VA and Club World on BA and no checked baggage, which I hope will help with the security line. My original goal was to time it such that I didnt need to stay overnight in NYC, however Im concerned now that Im cutting it too close since I need to leave Terminal 4, take AirTrain to Terminal 7, go through security, and make my gate on time.

Do you think I have enough time or should I go ahead and book an earlier arrival to JFK? I dont have any room for error, so any help would be greatly appreciated from the veterans. Thank you in advance for your help!
In my experience, this should be fine, assuming your first flight is on time. You don't have to clear immigration/security, no checked bags, and T7 is tiny. Also, there is a premium security line at T7, which if it is open, will get you through in no time.
Old May 24, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jamescho
In my experience, this should be fine, assuming your first flight is on time. You don't have to clear immigration/security, no checked bags, and T7 is tiny. Also, there is a premium security line at T7, which if it is open, will get you through in no time.
YMMV; last time I used the premium security line at T7 it was a half-hour wait. That was a Friday evening, though.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate, BAEC
Thank you for the replies, I hope it isn't too busy Friday morning while I'm trying to transfer.
Old May 25, 2016, 10:24 am

Friday morning of Memorial Day weekend -- you will have to go through security at T7. I hope your inbound flight is early.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by trustme
Do you think I have enough time
Yes. Even better if you can OLCI for the BA flight.
Originally Posted by Analise
Friday morning of Memorial Day weekend -- you will have to go through security at T7. I hope your inbound flight is early.
But there are so few flights leaving T7 that early that there is rarely a lengthy line, holiday weekend or not.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
But there are so few flights leaving T7 that early that there is rarely a lengthy line, holiday weekend or not.
That should be encouraging for the OP. ^
Old May 30, 2016, 11:29 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
EXCEPT (I just heard this on WCBS880), yesterday 5/3, there was a computer breakdown at T7, all tickets had to be handwritten...huge delays. All is OK now.
Old May 31, 2016, 7:04 am

Ok, trustme, how did it go on Friday?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.