Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

I now appreciate security line contractors at LGA/JFK vs EWR (baggage size)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I've travelled with the same pullman carryon for over 10 years now. I'm en route to DUS via ATL. Well, this time, I had to fly out of EWR. Security stopped me and told me I needed to check in my bag.

Not what I wanted to hear. I tried going to another security area thinking that all of Terminal B's gates were connected. Not true. Again, I don't know Terminal B that well. I think Terminal C's gates are accessible once past security.

I had packed a Le Sportsac bag to use on the way home so I took it out and put some of my things in that in order to flatten out the pullman. I went back to the same security area but went to the guy on the other side of the entrance. He stopped me but said I needed to put my purse inside the Sportsac. What a relief! So I got through without having to check in anything.

I now appreciate LGA and JFK. I've never had that problem before. Had no idea that EWR is more strict about carryon size.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:45 am

FWIW, only the airlines can really prevent you from boarding with an oversized bag. If it was one of the maroon coat folks at EWR I just walk past them when they object to my bags. They have no real enforcement power anyways.

A couple weeks ago I was flying to Canada with my wife. I brought our bags to the airport as I was going early and had time. So I had my backpack and two roller bags with me. Needless to say, the maroon coat was not impressed. I simply stated that one was my wife's and that she'd be meeting me at the airport later and walked by. The agent objected but they aren't going to leave their post and there's nothing they can do anyways.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
FWIW, only the airlines can really prevent you from boarding with an oversized bag. If it was one of the maroon coat folks at EWR I just walk past them when they object to my bags. They have no real enforcement power anyways.

A couple weeks ago I was flying to Canada with my wife. I brought our bags to the airport as I was going early and had time. So I had my backpack and two roller bags with me. Needless to say, the maroon coat was not impressed. I simply stated that one was my wife's and that she'd be meeting me at the airport later and walked by. The agent objected but they aren't going to leave their post and there's nothing they can do anyways.
I think they wore maroon coats but I was not paying that much attention to them. But they weren't airline employees, that I can confirm. These are the guys who stand at the entrance of the corridor leading to security and then the circular area where the gates are. I could have walked past them?? Who knew! That never occurred to me.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
I think they wore maroon coats but I was not paying that much attention to them. But they weren't airline employees, that I can confirm. These are the guys who stand at the entrance of the corridor leading to security and then the circular area where the gates are. I could have walked past them?? Who knew! That never occurred to me.
Yup...those are the maroon coats. They have essentially zero authority or enforcement ability. I'm not suggesting you assault them or anything like that, but a simple, "oh, no, it fits fine" as you walk by usually defuses the situation.

Is the bag actually oversize?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PLAT SPG DL
I've managed to avoid EWR for the last few years. But I usually travel with a sportsac bag inside my Briggs & Reilly 22". You never know who will deceide to exercise their 'power trip', and though I know 22" x 14" X 9 is exactly what AA Allows, I don't always check on other carriers.

Glad you made it on, with all your possesions intact!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Yup...those are the maroon coats. They have essentially zero authority or enforcement ability. I'm not suggesting you assault them or anything like that, but a simple, "oh, no, it fits fine" as you walk by usually defuses the situation.

Is the bag actually oversize?
It's not bigger than the flight attendants' pullmans. But they go threw without being stopped. Yes, it is bigger than the template but so are theirs so if they can use them, so will I. Again, I've never had any problem at LGA and JFK.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:09 am

It's not bigger than the flight attendants' pullmans. But they go threw without being stopped.
You're not a flight attendant so I'm not sure why you're comparing your bags with theirs. They get to bring more bags and liquids through security, too.

Yes, it is bigger than the template but so are theirs so if they can use them, so will I.
Not a valid argument.

Choosing to not follow the rules because you have decided they do not apply to you is . Ignoring someone trying to apply rules the do not really exist in the way they see them is less so.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Again, I've never had any problem at LGA and JFK.
That's fortunate, but not necessarily indicative of the policies at LGA or JFK. While you may not have encountered the same problem at those airports, others might.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

You're not a flight attendant so I'm not sure why you're comparing your bags with theirs. They get to bring more bags and liquids through security, too.
I assumed that for the TSA, security and concern for possible terrorist weapons were universal with no relaxation of the rules for anyone hence the strip searching of grandmothers. Obviously not given what you said about FAs. So then why have these rules at all?

Not a valid argument.
I was not making an argument. I was stating an opinion I believed. Geez...relax.

Choosing to not follow the rules because you have decided they do not apply to you is .
Maybe you should follow your own platitude considering you said this:

If it was one of the maroon coat folks at EWR I just walk past them when they object to my bags. They have no real enforcement power anyways.
Interesting....

Originally Posted by fbnewyork
I've managed to avoid EWR for the last few years. But I usually travel with a sportsac bag inside my Briggs & Reilly 22". You never know who will deceide to exercise their 'power trip', and though I know 22" x 14" X 9 is exactly what AA Allows, I don't always check on other carriers.

Glad you made it on, with all your possesions intact!
Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dchristiva
That's fortunate, but not necessarily indicative of the policies at LGA or JFK. While you may not have encountered the same problem at those airports, others might.
Very true. I am just speaking from my experience alone. I have NEVER been stopped.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 8:45 pm

I assumed that for the TSA, security and concern for possible terrorist weapons were universal with no relaxation of the rules for anyone hence the strip searching of grandmothers. Obviously not given what you said about FAs. So then why have these rules at all?
The maroon coats are not TSA. I don't know where you got that impression.

As for the baggage rules, the TSA sets what they are for passengers and for crew. Your insinuation that the same rules apply to you and the crew is simply wrong.
Maybe you should follow your own platitude considering you said this:
I did not violate either the airline nor the TSA rules. I simply ignored the idiots that cannot process complex thoughts and who are not really empowered to do anything anyways. Big difference.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:38 am
Original Poster

The maroon coats are not TSA. I don't know where you got that impression.

As for the baggage rules, the TSA sets what they are for passengers and for crew. Your insinuation that the same rules apply to you and the crew is simply wrong.

I did not violate either the airline nor the TSA rules. I simply ignored the idiots that cannot process complex thoughts and who are not really empowered to do anything anyways. Big difference.
The TSA are idiots. You just want to argue when all I am doing is saying how much I appreciate the ease of going through security at LGA and JFK.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Question:

Does the FAA (or some other govt. body) set the rule for 1 + 1 bags (1 carryon + 1 personal) or is this the airline?

It has always been my understanding that this is the airline - otherwise any time you fly say CX or SQ F and they let you bring a few bags, the airline is breaking the law. Obviously not the case.

Got into an argument with several AA agents last month who told me the 1 + 1 rule was an "FAA regulation."
Old Jul 24, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb
Got into an argument with several AA agents last month who told me the 1 + 1 rule was an "FAA regulation."
Don't pretty much all airlines make this claim in their pre-flight announcements?

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/prepare_fly/baggage/

Check with your airline before packing to determine its carry-on guidelines regarding the number of items you may carry on and the maximum size of those items.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by troyb
Question:

Does the FAA (or some other govt. body) set the rule for 1 + 1 bags (1 carryon + 1 personal) or is this the airline?
Both.

The FAA requires that the airline have a policy and that they follow it. The airline gets to decide what that policy is. But once it is written down and approved by the FAA the airline is expected to actually follow it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.