Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of October 2018, there are some temporary changes to the M60-SBS service for those taking the N/W NYC Subway service from Astoria Blvd:
  • https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city/1960975-astoria-blvd-n-w-subway-stop-closed-3-17-209-through-12-2019-m60-lga-impacted.html
Effective 12:01 AM, Monday, Oct 22M60 SBS, Q48, Q70 SBS and Q72 - Bus stop changes at Terminal D in LaGuardia AirportDue to construction:Buses will now make the following stop: LGA Terminal D on LaGuardia Road (Delta Arrivals Rd)The following stop will no longer be served: LGA Terminal D on East End Road
Print Wikipost

For the love of god, can NYC create a reasonable public transport option to LGA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by Blumie
I take cabs to and from BOS only a handful of times a year, and dread it every time. I much prefer public transportation or driving myself (love the Terminal B garage!).

I generally use public transportation in NYC, too, but still LGA's a lot easier than JFK. And while I fly all of my transcons out of JFK, it's ridiculous to say that LGA-MIA is not a "nice option": I think AA operates 11 LGA-MIA flights a day, versus seven JFK-MIA flights. (Although I would fly out of JFK to get one of the 762/763/777 flights, as I did two weeks ago.)
You just hit the nail on the head. The times I've flown down to MIA have been on either the 75L, 762 and/or 777. I don't think there are any 75L's out of LGA which would make me at least consider it.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
You just hit the nail on the head. The times I've flown down to MIA have been on either the 75L, 762 and/or 777. I don't think there are any 75L's out of LGA which would make me at least consider it.
Do you know at the time of booking if the flight is operated on a 75L versus the domestic configuration, or is it just the luck of the draw?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Do you know at the time of booking if the flight is operated on a 75L versus the domestic configuration, or is it just the luck of the draw?
Past April 1st I don't but anything within 6 weeks it shows on AA whether it's a 75L or not. I came away extremely impressed with the 75L on MIA-JFK which I was able to directly compared with a 757 SDQ-MIA. No contest!
Old Jan 12, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Past April 1st I don't but anything within 6 weeks it shows on AA whether it's a 75L or not. I came away extremely impressed with the 75L on MIA-JFK which I was able to directly compared with a 757 SDQ-MIA. No contest!
I love the 75L. I've only flown it once, though. The last time I got it -- luck of the draw on a BOS-DFW flight (maybe it was a BOS-LAX flight; I can't remember) -- it went MX after we boarded and we got "downgraded" to a domestic 757. Boy did that suck!
Old Jan 13, 2011, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cordelli
The MTA 40 year plan actually includes a second Airtrain to the LIRR

Sander also said the MTA would explore creating a second AirTrain service to connect LaGuardia Airport to Long Island Rail Road service in Woodside, Queens, as well as light rail service on Staten Island and new Metro-North train stops in the Bronx.

It would be interesting to see what the 40 year plan was 40 years ago compared to what they actually got done.

He said that two years ago, so only 38 more years to go.....

NBC a few days ago ran a story on why you can't take the subway to the airport (they started talking about it a dozen years ago)

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2010/12...o-laguardia-2/

The text on that page details some of the opposition to the project.
someone had to make out like a Bandit with the AirTrain how the heck do you spend the Billions they did and in the end use a different gauge track then the Subway and LIRR uses so you cant run the AT straight into the City, as well as not connect LGA & JFK by the AT

so I highly doubt anything that will make sense will ever be done, unless the pockets need to be lined some more
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The only route that I know is scheduled as an 75L is the 8:50PM from MIA to JFK. Of course, rather than a short cab ride from LGA at midnight you are schleping from JFK.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The only route that I know is scheduled as an 75L is the 8:50PM from MIA to JFK. Of course, rather than a short cab ride from LGA at midnight you are schleping from JFK.
totally worth it and LIRR is super fast at that time as alot of the trains are express to Penn Station.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:20 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
You can put significant blame on the lack of public transport to NYC airport on Robert Moses. He was the architect of almost all highways in NYC and at the time of construction had multiple options to include a public transportation option in the middle of design (similar to the AirTran to JFK) for very little cost and disruption. However, he was a STRICT advocate for cars & highways and felt public transportation was for the poor & uncivilize. He wasn't a fan of minorities having ease of access to things even though he was one himself. Granted his team made tons of money with tolls on bridges but in comparison the cost of train service to JFK when they build the Van Wyck would've added insignificant cost on top of the highway vs. the extraordinary cost to add it within the past decade and disruption.

This all to say we suffer today because of the decisions of our past. As we have learn the explosion of cars makes highways not as efficient as planned and air travel has picked up significantly since the 50-60s as it is no longer just an experience to the rich.

Good vs. bad? NYC public transportation is 24/7 hrs which can't be said for BOS, ATL or DCA. Additionally, despite MTA price hike - you can get to airports for under $3 (not using AirTran for JFK instead using the Q10). I would still say NYC wins out just not as convenient.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:05 pm

Programs: AC S100K, SPG, etc., NEXUS, GOES
Originally Posted by craz
someone had to make out like a Bandit with the AirTrain how the heck do you spend the Billions they did and in the end use a different gauge track then the Subway and LIRR uses so you cant run the AT straight into the City, as well as not connect LGA & JFK by the AT
Where'd you hear that? The airtrain is standard gauge, but it's a driverless Bombardier ART system with linear induction motors. I expect the driverless aspect was pretty compelling.

It could adapted at some cost to be compatible with the LIRR, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime, don't miss the handy subway to the airport in Cleveland.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Also, up until about ten years ago (namely before Jet Blue arrived) JFK was a fairly sleepy airport. Given that we should probably be lucky we got the Airtrain. Unfortunately, back in the 1990s when funding larger scale projects was much easier the demand was probably not there for a direct link into Manhattan. Even now, it seems that the Airtrain is underutilized.

It seems that many Manhattanities think that using the subway or LIRR connection to the Airtrain is something like a trek through the Amazon jungle. But I've noticied that most of the people that I run into with that attitude do not travel that often and have an income that easily supports a car service. I also chuckle because many of these same people in the summer time schlep out to Fire Island/Hamptons on the LIRR and tend to think nothing of it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 2:48 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by craz
That's not true at all, and indeed funding was approved in congress to make a one seat ride to the airport by using the LIRR and Airtrain tracks. It was only partial funding, the state was not able to come up with the rest, and it was not a high priority when Patacki left office, so nobody knows if it will ever be done.

The proposed link is to include a tunnel to be built under the East River, linking a transit center planned for Fulton Street in Manhattan to the Atlantic Avenue subway and commuter rail terminal in Brooklyn. From there, the service would use existing Long Island Rail Road tracks to connect to the AirTrain terminal in Jamaica, Queens.

The AirTrain, which makes an eight-minute trip between the Jamaica terminal and the airport, opened in 2003 and was built with specifications similar to those used by the subway and railroad, so its track could extend into Manhattan. A so-called "one-seat" ride between the airport and Manhattan has been a goal of transportation planners for decades.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

M60 is faster, but it can be terribly overcrowded.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I agree the M60 can be out of control crowded. You would think that the MTA would run an express bus from Jackson Heights directly to LGA say every 30 minutes during peak hours and maybe once an hour before 5 or 6AM. But given the management skill of the MTA hell will probably freeze over first.
Originally Posted by neuron
given the MTA shortfalls, I doubt there will be any service improvements for a long time.

I take the M60 quite a bit, the service in Queens is fast but it does get crowded quickly - would be nice to get articulated buses on this route, though there may be a logistical issue preventing its use.
Originally Posted by cbastian
Limited stop buses, high frequency, boarding through all doors etc.

A rail transit plan was tried 10 years ago but died because of strong neighborhood opposition (most transit lines in the area are elevated, and the locals didn't want more elevated construction).
As a person who rides the M60 frequently, Harlem residents and businesses have complained to the MTA and asked them to provide the articulated buses for runs to LGA.

The M60 route is often delayed as 125 street is a major transportation corridor. Buses are often delayed due to
  • Amount of vehicular traffic
  • Number of riders on all bus lines that travel 125 street
  • Those boarding M60s often have luggage which take buses of schedule
  • Transfers to/from subway lines at St. Nic., Lenox and Lexington

The above often delays and clumps buses. You can have one M60 bus show up, that is packed and nobody can board. Then two minutes later another packed M60 bus shows up. If you can't get on that one, then you may need to wait 10/15 minutes for another bus. There are many times, that passengers at 1st avenue cannot board.

On top of that, once you get to the Astoria Blvd. station where people transfer to and from the N/Q, it's pure chaos! I've witnessed instances where the bus was so packed, people again, could not board, even after some passengers have exited the bus.

In the Early morning the buses are often packed with airport workers, but I find if you depart 125 before 8AM the buses are less delayed than those buses departing after 8AM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
I live on the UWS and fly most often out of JFK or LGA. When given a choice, I almost always opt for LGA - it's much faster and cheaper for a cab when my company is paying (~$30 for LGA compared to ~$50 for JFK), and it's much faster for me to take the 1 up to 125th and transfer to the M60 than it is to take the E to Jamaica and transfer to the AirTrain. I actually think the M60 service is pretty stellar. When I'm the one footing the bill, the only time I take a cab is if there are extraordinary circumstances necessitating a really fast trip (i.e., I'm running late and need to be at LGA in 30 mins or less).

Of course, service can always be improved, but having been to all 50 states, I think the NYC mass transit-to-airport situation is better than most. Haven't traveled extensively internationally, so I can't compare there, but I think a domestic comparison is more apples-to-apples anyway.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
I live on the UWS and fly most often out of JFK or LGA. When given a choice, I almost always opt for LGA - it's much faster and cheaper for a cab when my company is paying (~$30 for LGA compared to ~$50 for JFK), and it's much faster for me to take the 1 up to 125th and transfer to the M60 than it is to take the E to Jamaica and transfer to the AirTrain. I actually think the M60 service is pretty stellar. When I'm the one footing the bill, the only time I take a cab is if there are extraordinary circumstances necessitating a really fast trip (i.e., I'm running late and need to be at LGA in 30 mins or less).

Of course, service can always be improved, but having been to all 50 states, I think the NYC mass transit-to-airport situation is better than most. Haven't traveled extensively internationally, so I can't compare there, but I think a domestic comparison is more apples-to-apples anyway.
The M60 doesn't run to Broadway & 125 St. Do you mean 116 St? Getting off at B'way & 125 seems difficult as you have to come all the way down from the station then walk over to Amsterdam for the bus.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
The M60 doesn't run to Broadway & 125 St. Do you mean 116 St? Getting off at B'way & 125 seems difficult as you have to come all the way down from the station then walk over to Amsterdam for the bus.
Yes, you're right. Either 1 to 116th, or often I'll transfer to the 2/3 at 72nd and then go up to 125th from there. Just depends how the timing works out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.